Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I just start a new thread on this one. Riding back from Jacksonville to Miami I stopped at J&P Cycles. It is the last Friday of Daytona Bike Week so there were many many vendors there. I arrived about 10:30 am and it was busy but not crowded yet...YET. anyways to make a long story longer, I wound up buying a few goodies one of which was an Airhawk seat cushion. $159 buckeroos. I had one of these some years back and was very satisfied. I had already tried the Walmarts in my area to give the $20 version a try but could not find one. I procrastinated long enough and wound up making the 1st half of the trip (350mi) without a seat cushion. Don't get me wrong I wasn't in excruciating pain but let's just call it 'discomfort'. I already have the backrest and the
highway pegs so with just those items alone I already felt more
comfortable than ever before but why suffer at all? Until I had the
Goldwing I just figured that some degree of discomfort just came with riding a motorcycle.
I took some detours on the way back and added time and mileage to the
ride. I put the Airhawk on the bike as soon as I left J&P; rode it for about 400 mi over a period of 7.5 hrs. I stopped a few times but no extended brakes just sight seeing. I was amazed how comfortable it was riding with the Airhawk. You inflate it just barely enough to have a 1/2" air space between your butt and the seat that's it. They tell you to be sure not to over inflate... It defeats the purpose. Well I can tell you it is like nite and
day. Now get this, it's not like you sit on it and it feels good. It's not like
it tickles or vibrates :eek:
It's just that there seems to be no particular hotspot or pressure
point. An hour later... Still no specific area that bothers you. Two, three, four hours.... zero, zip, nada. By the end of the day the only thing that bothered me was the seam in my underwear. That can be taken care of
by some liners from LD Comfort (thank you Fossil)
So now that good ol question I know someone will ask, "Is it worth it?" Airhawk now makes 2 models. The design is exactly the same but the materials and warranty differ. You can get one for $99 made of polypropylene or get the 'long lasting' one made of neoprene for $159. In
either case they ain't cheap! I admit even having owned one before I just didn't want to spend the money BUT (no pun) after riding home today I can tell you the $159 is my money well spent. I'm not saying it is better or worse than other options. I AM telling you this one does work for me! For me it's worth it but you'd have to be your own judge.
Oh yeah, I did buy a 12v 1.25A Battery Tender for the bikes and a loud, shiny new chrome horn for my bodyguard's VTX 1300. t'was a fun day!

Donald

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
My neighbor with his 1300VTX(S) just got one.I know it will add a hundred miles to his ride distance. When you can afford the best why compromise.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the back rest and highway pegs and still the Wing is not as comfortable as my E-Glide was. I did have a Mustang seat on it but I can't see spending $1,000 now for a seat. I just bought the Wing and have only 500 miles on it. $159 for a AirHawk cushion sounds like a better option. I would like to ride comfortably between gas stops. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
14,416 Posts
Donald,
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a couple options and you helped me make up my mind. Glad you had a good ride home.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Seats are like oil, OH NO I SAID THE OIL WORD!! Some like the stock seat and some don't, doesn't matter which bike it is they just don't fit everyone the same. With highway pegs and a backrest I could ride my 08 Wing all day long with the stock seat and have no problems. Some can't get 2 blocks away from the dealer with it.
On another note, which horn did you get for the VTX? I'm looking for a louder horn for my Concours 1400, Is it a 5 amph horn and what is the dB rating.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I bought my Air Hawk from ChrisChrome a few month ago for $82.95. Might want to check out www.chrischrome.com to see if the are still offering them for that price.
Just a thought.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tried the $160.00 dollar Air Hawk, didn't work for me, I sold it to my nephew for half price. He uses it but still can ride no longer than 200 daily. :) DonaldL did use the key phrase, "it works for me." that's all that matters.

At Daytona Bike week a vendor was installing foam material in Wing seats for $239.00. The seat was raised about 1-2 inches and looked okay; however, to costly for me. Also, I forgot to ask how the "implant" affected the heated seat. Most comfortable seat I've ever had was on my Kawasaki Voyager.

Had to smile when I read the bit about "underwear seam". I too have that problem but, no pun intended, I also have about a six inch bullet wound scar on my left butt cheek. When its starts burning, I have to get off the bike, adjust my drawers, stretch a sec then remount. Fortunately, once readjusted, I can normally ride for hours. :) God I love my Honda Wing.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
I bought the one from Wallyworld and it works well enough for me. I really don't have a problem with the 1800's seat, just got the gel to change positions every once in a while..

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Does the Airhawk just sit on your seat or does it attach some how? Seems like it would move around (I cant sit still) and become an issue???

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is possible to attach or you can leave it unattached. I did not attach it and had no problem with slippage...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad you got what you were hoping for. I'm trying to get up the courage to install my Utopia rest one of these fine days. Doggone stomach problem of mine again (no guts):eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Convinced

I've been sit'n here research'n cushions for the last 3 hrs and after read'n reviews on a bunch of sites :confused: I'm go'n with the "better" AirHawk. It seems to be the only alternative to a $700:eek: seat.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Glad you got what you were hoping for. I'm trying to get up the courage to install my Utopia rest one of these fine days. Doggone stomach problem of mine again (no guts):eek:
Be sure the Boss Lady has a Defibrillator handy. It's a Heart stopper when the knife pierces the seat:rolleyes:
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts