Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new here. Been ridin' a LONG time and NEVER thought I would be ready for a GW at this young age! (yeah, right)

Humm, the wife and I have been riding together since college (thank God her dad did not know that!). Currently, we ride a 2003 VTX 1800C with bags, shield, etc. Nice bike.

But, we moved from SoCal to Wichita, KS 14 months ago. The X was perfect in SoCal. We were 5 minutes from FANTASTIC roads!

But, in Wichita, one has to ride 4 or 5 hours to get to Arkansas and some decent roads. And, it can be a lot cooler in Kansas than the Los Angeles area.

OK, why not do that on the X?

Good question. First, slabbing it ain't what the X is about. Second, our two babies (Papillons) can't be left alone very long, so we need a way to take them with us for overnight trips - read that as we need a WAGS trailer.

Slabbing for hours, pulling a trailer, cool (cold?) weather, and when we get to some decent roads the ability to actually have some cornering performance seems to point to a Wing.

What do y'all think?

Finally, the one time the dear wife and I rode a GL1800 (in SocCal on twisties and the rough interstate), it was great except that the rider's position was uncomfortable for me. But, the guy who owns it had a driver's backrest which caused me to be leaned forward, accentuating the impact of the peg location. So, are these things comfortable for a 205#, 5'11", 32" inseam guy or not?

Regards,
Joe T.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
joe t 1st of all welcome to the site, 2nd Wings are definitely for covering miles, 3rd As far as the backrest thing it probably needed to be adjusted for you. I have a backrest on my Hartco seat on the 1500 & woudn't be without one. Finally I'm close in stature to you same Heigth & inseam but only I weigh 185 & I have no issues on the bike. There are many added items you can get to assure your comfort all you have to do is find the ones that are right for you.

Good Luck in your search & again welcome.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... AS THE OL' FOSSIL 92 SAID (and yes that it his real age ) CHECK AROUND AND FIND ONE TO YOU'RE LIKING ... DON'T RULE OUT GETTING A CUSTOM SEAT ... I HAVE A CUSTOM FLAT SEAT AND THAT LETS ME SLIDE BACK AND STRETCH OUT ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts