Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week I have had this nekkid feeling while my ride was at the dealer. Well I got her back yesterday as promised by my not so local dealer.

Sooooo..... I'm happy, but I need to know.....since I do mostly all my services on the wing myself is this a good deal or not?

I had the brake recall done. No charge & mine was fine.

Check for valve adjustment- within spec!

Change all DOT 4 fluids.

Re-torque steering stem bearings.

Check sticking hazard switch (under warranty)- lubed switch.

Total cost $412.00

Oh yeah + $45.00 for new valve cover gaskets :)eek:) I thought that was steep. So actual out the door cost was....

$457.00

The one thing I didn't like is that the mechanic had to comment on my ticket & I quote

"Car rear tire could cause control problems and rear diff bearing problems".

I said to the service guy, you need to tell your mechanic if he wants to keep my business he needs to keep his personal opinions to himself. I also asked if the CT is the same size as a MC tire how is going to hurt the differential bearings? No answer could be supplied.

Other than the mechanics naivety on the car tire issue I think I got a fair shake, what do ya'll think?

Mark

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I'm going to have a Honda Dealer in Warrenton change the break fluid ( only ) next year for around $100. Now you're down to $357. Feeling better ?

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Mark, did they give you the hourly rate for service. If it's like a lot of shops the rate sometimes runs between $65 and $100. So given the time needed to do what they did I guess the $$ is reasonable.

As far as the mechanic, they are just doing a CYA so if there ever is a problem they have it documented. Ride safe and glad you got your baby back...

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
thats good news mark

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to have a Honda Dealer in Warrenton change the break fluid ( only ) next year for around $100. Now you're down to $357. Feeling better ?
Lee,

Don't forget the Clutch fluid as well, I was charged $170.00 for 2 hours labor. Wow, I think you're getting a deal for sure!

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark, did they give you the hourly rate for service. If it's like a lot of shops the rate sometimes runs between $65 and $100. So given the time needed to do what they did I guess the $$ is reasonable.

As far as the mechanic, they are just doing a CYA so if there ever is a problem they have it documented. Ride safe and glad you got your baby back...
You're spot on with the labor charges Charlie. They charge $85.00 an hour.

I think after having the Wing for 4 years, that what I paid amounts to less than $115.00 a year....I can definitely live with that!
:D
Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
You needed valve cover gaskets already!?! That doesn't sound right. Were you leaving oil spots?

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You needed valve cover gaskets already!?! That doesn't sound right. Were you leaving oil spots?
No Tank, but they were checking the valves & IF when removing the valve covers & the gaskets broke, I didn't want to wait another week for them to come in. I do have the old ones for future use. So I ordered them before I dropped the bike off just to be safe.

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most dealers get $98 to $125 per hour for labor and they make 20% or more on their parts. So if you feel like you were robbed, your not alone.
They charged me $85.00 an hour...I think that's fair. They have to make a living, I was just curious if their prices for the work that was done is right.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Sorry, if I had paid more attention I would have seen they did the valve lash adjustment check. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, if I had paid more attention I would have seen they did the valve lash adjustment check. :eek:
No need to be sorry Tank...It's all good! :D

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If they charged you $85 an hour that was a good fair rate. I have't seen $85 an hour since about 1989. Here in Florida dealers gouge bike owners. When I lived in Texas it was better rates and better service.

YIKES! :eek:

Come on up to Virginia! ;)

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I,m sure that hourly rate is relative to the location. You're close enough to Richmond to be affected by its real estate market, cost of milk and bread, cost of gas.

Our consumer markets in north Texas are lower. The shop rate in this area (all brands and most independents as well, is 75.00 although BMW is higher.

·
Administrator
15,295 Posts
Glad you are back riding again. The hourly rate is about the same in Mississippi. But nothing is as cheap or happens as quickly as we think it should. This summer I had my Yamaha in the shop to replace a seal that was leaking. It took 6 weeks to get the part in and that was costly. The bill hurt a bit but I was happy the next day riding it to work.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
A member of this forum with inside knowledge has assured me that my local Honda dealer sells parts for 20% over MSRP. Their shop rate is $110/hr I think. So what you describe would be a good deal around here!:mad:

[That's what I keep telling myself when wrenching when I'd rather not: "Kev, you're making $110/hr right now!"]:p:D

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Lee,

Don't forget the Clutch fluid as well, I was charged $170.00 for 2 hours labor. Wow, I think you're getting a deal for sure!

Mark
I did my own clutch fluid . The brakes are more complex and the little Mightyvac is just not up to the job. I watched Fred Harmon tackle it and it wasn't pretty. Now if Mightyvac would come with a quart size container that would allow doing the entire system without having to empty it , I would consider doing them myself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently paid $311 for anti-freeze flush/fill, all brake/clutch fluid flushed, New air filter, general check over. I felt this was very fair, I was happy. Dealer was Cupi's Motor Mall 845 Edgewater Drive North Pekin IL 61554 Phone: 309-353-2000 Fax: 309-353-6904 They are Wing friendly with a good mechanic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.