Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a guy i know had an old77 goldwing fulldresser in good shape 60k, as he knew 3yrs ago i had to sell all my bikes due to becoming a dad and i needed funds and my friend couldn't stand to see me bikeless anymore so this guy i knew said i got this old ship wreck if you want it..i said heck yeah bro.. he said he tampered with the carbs an he couldnt get the bike to idle and wouldn't rev abouve 1500 rpms so he put it away..so now i have it and i got it running and would only run on rgt side 1&3 but nothing on 2&4 i noticed that there was no air filter so i stuffed air box with rags so there was some resistance and 2&4 fired so it runs on all 4 now but pops farts wont idle,when u crank it over it turns over with a retarded crank and im thinking it's timing (dont have a timing light but my clymer manual says you can do it manual without light but with feeler gauges,1 guy i knows says it's carb issues and another says it's valve seats,i'm a first time goldwing owner and am not to familiar with these engines,i know i will need a gas tank (rusty) but im using a gas can at this time,but being a car mech when a car turns over like this it's most of the time its timing...im kind of lost............

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Where do you call home??

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Welcome and Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
a guy i know had an old77 goldwing fulldresser in good shape 60k, as he knew 3yrs ago i had to sell all my bikes due to becoming a dad and i needed funds and my friend couldn't stand to see me bikeless anymore so this guy i knew said i got this old ship wreck if you want it..i said heck yeah bro.. he said he tampered with the carbs an he couldnt get the bike to idle and wouldn't rev abouve 1500 rpms so he put it away..so now i have it and i got it running and would only run on rgt side 1&3 but nothing on 2&4 i noticed that there was no air filter so i stuffed air box with rags so there was some resistance and 2&4 fired so it runs on all 4 now but pops farts wont idle,when u crank it over it turns over with a retarded crank and im thinking it's timing (dont have a timing light but my clymer manual says you can do it manual without light but with feeler gauges,1 guy i knows says it's carb issues and another says it's valve seats,i'm a first time goldwing owner and am not to familiar with these engines,i know i will need a gas tank (rusty) but im using a gas can at this time,but being a car mech when a car turns over like this it's most of the time its timing...im kind of lost............
You are much more knowledgeable than me in this area which is why the following method worked well for me :)

My GL1500 smelled of of gas when off, went from mid-30's MPG to high 20's, became harder to start, and the bike had increasingly more flat spots during acceleration. And the idle adjust knob was frozen and unmoveable. Obviously, a carb problem at least and maybe other things.

So, off mto my local mech I went. When he heard my litany of complaints, he immediately recommended a complete carb rebuild with all new parts (springs and whatever else).

Since that fix (which was expensive), I have not had to use the choke to start up, accleration is smooth all the way up the dial, the smell of fresh gas when off was gone, and MPG recovered to the low 30's. It was like a new bike.

Greg

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Welcome golden 1. I'm the world's worst mechanic so multiple issues leave me stranded. We do have some pretty fair resident wrenches here though so I'm sure there will be no shortage of help for you. I do know that your bike had points ignition so that could be a jumping off point for you too. Carb rebuilds, and timing (belt driven) as you mentioned. Fuel delivery could be another. Good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the Classic Wing restoration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seems anything that makes happy costs money..im a new dad and had to sell both my bikes due to money issues,and i always wanted a wing so im going to ride this bike or die trying..lol ,for free and in good condition it's worth it..thanks for sharing your info

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks larry in seattle,i'll let know whats up with it so you can help another bro if you hear of this situation in the future

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks budoka, im very persistant so even if not this season..i will have this wing in the wind!!i'll keep you posted on my results..thanks much for your reply it was insightful..

·
Registered
774 Posts
Get a workshop/service manual and get started with all the basics. Air intake system in place, timing belts adjusted, valves adjusted,points adjusted, fresh spark plugs. New filters, check/replace vacuum lines, then adjust/rebuild the carbs. Go to start somewhere, so check over everything, workshop manual should guide you through step by step.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts

I would definitely start by changing the fuel filter and rebuilding the carbs! :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts