Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...In the last two weeks we have had more tornados and rain that I care for...Since I ride my bike evey day to work (rain or shine) I was pondering another question while I waited for the rain (down pour) to sub-side.....

Question: Do I need pontoons for the bike...ooops :eek: wrong question...

Question (1): Does anyone have a good lead on a pair of sunglasses that are stylish yet have great glare cut-down....what brands do you wear....

Question (2): Does anyone have a good lead on a pair of goggles...I understand that riding across the dakotas and montana (and possiblly other states) that the dust can get pretty bad...

(Actually I was thinking about pontoons for the bike...since half of Milwaukee and surrounding area seems to be underwater right now....)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I can't say that I have ever seen a Wing rider wearing goggles. I suppose it could happen. Mark, when you reach your 1,000 post membership status you might possibly need glasses. I have and I do. Just ordered a new pair with transition lenses to get rid of the sun visor overlay . " See " you soon.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The sunglasses I wear I don't think are available anymore, I bought them at Chaotic Choppers in Kelowna BC a few years back. They're actually snowboard shades, but they are great for riding and not polarized, just real dark (so no good at night). I have a pair of aviator style goggles that work great in the rain (carried them in the fork bag on the Vulcan) but haven't used them in four years or so. Just remember the postabout polarized lenses doing the prism thing with the Wing windshields.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well, I wear prescription glasses, so "cheap" is just not an option for me!
That said though, I just recently got an eye exam and it was time for new glasses all around. I have an eye plan at work and I have insurance also. I bought 2 new pair of polarized sunglasses.
A new pair of Okley's @ $240
And a pair of Wiley X WX1 that were about $160 total.

I like the Okley's better but the Wiley X block the wind in the eyes much better!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I wear prescription glasses, so "cheap" is just not an option for me!
That said though, I just recently got an eye exam and it was time for new glasses all around. I have an eye plan at work and I have insurance also. I bought 2 new pair of polarized sunglasses.
A new pair of Okley's @ $240
And a pair of Wiley X WX1 that were about $160 total.

I like the Okley's better but the Wiley X block the wind in the eyes much better!
Buzzy...Not sure what bike you have...but on the 2010 there is a LCD display....if you have a LCD display...can you see the display with the polarized glasses...I was told LCD displays can not be seen with polarized glasses...never had them so don't know....

Safe Ride....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Buzzy...Not sure what bike you have...but on the 2010 there is a LCD display....if you have a LCD display...can you see the display with the polarized glasses...I was told LCD displays can not be seen with polarized glasses...never had them so don't know....

Safe Ride....
I can see the display fine. Polarized glasses won't make it so you can't see. What they do is make the display "look funny". It's hard to describe it but I can still see the display fine.
Also, polarized glasses will make your windshield have "rainbows" in it. I have all the colors of the rainbow in my windshield just warped and twisting all threw it.
It does not hamper my vision and after a few days, you don't even notice it any more. The trade off is, I can stare directly at the reflection off a cars windshield and it doesn't blind you! Same with any glare that would normally be blinding, the polarized glasses cut right threw it and I can see!

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I can't say that I have ever seen a Wing rider wearing goggles. I suppose it could happen. Mark, when you reach your 1,000 post membership status you might possibly need glasses. I have and I do. Just ordered a new pair with transition lenses to get rid of the sun visor overlay . " See " you soon.
You'll like the transition lenses, I've had them in my progressive no line bifocals for the last three years , thats all I wear on the bike.;)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
You'll like the transition lenses, I've had them in my progressive no line bifocals for the last three years , thats all I wear on the bike.;)
I'll believe it when I see through it. Some have commented that the transition from dark tint to light tint took longer than they liked. No one complained about the light to dark tint progression.

·
Registered
691 Posts
As for me I wear Rx Transisiond behind a drop down schield. Windschields are great as are sun glasses but getting something in your eye at 70 mph is a serious problem.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Until Friday the wife and I wore 3/4 helmets on the Wing with Sunglasses. Never felt that SAFE in those helmets since a full coverage is all I've worn for quite sometime. Bought the new Scorpion EXO-900 transformer helmets for us. It's a flip front helmet that has an air pump to fill in the interior after you put it on. Perfect Fit. It has a drop down visor built in. Having just used them today, I like them so far. Noticed it even had better air flow around our heads then the 3/4's did.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I have two pairs of goggles a pair of Smith Option OTG with clear lenses for rain and a pair of Oakley 'L' frame with gray lenses. I wear them for better eye protection than I get from the over the glasses sunglasses. The goggles keep blowing sand out of my eyes since the otg sunglasses don't work. Off road goggles work very well for me in all situations.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Ditto on the Scorpion helmets with built in visor.
They are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As usual, there are many choices. I ride early morning to work and often ride until after the sun goes down.- changing directions can dictate what you need. With built in visors, you can raise or lower the shades instantly. Scorpion was the first one I saw and I love mine. My wife found one this year, an HjC. It too, seems to be well made.

I also, use it at intersections at night when a jacked up 4 x 4 has it's high beams pointed into each mirror. I can lower the visor until I take off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love the yellow high vis. I have on my full face Shoie... nothing beats that, imo.

if it is too hot and you must comprimise, get the yellow high vis, sunglasses with the
shatterproof and OF COURSE, the Polycarbonate lens...

you won't look back...

no pun intended-

w

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had multiple sunglasses including Native, Hobie, Vuarnet. Maui Jim, while spendy, offers superb clarity and a variety of frame shapes and coverage to suit multiple faces. They are polarized and they do make the windshield and LCD look funny but easily overlooked for the glare reduction and amazing optical quality. Save yourself some $$ and buy right the first time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have not found that the Transistion lenses (auto darkening) work behind a face shield. They also do not work behind automobile glass.

I bought a pair of polarized prescription sun glasses. I hoped they would help with the glare on the Navi screen, but they did not. Depending on the face shield and the angle of the sun, I get slight to heavy color fringing on the shield. I am having them replaced with non polarized lenses.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Polarized = Bad News

Polarized is bad if you wear a helmet with a face-shield, look through a windshield, or read a navi in bright sun. The polarization will cause purty diffraction patterns (rainbows). While pleasing to look at the rainbows do a nasty number on one's ability to see the road!

I have a really good pair of Liberty Sport shades that are polarized. I love them for the glare reduction, but they were unacceptable for riding due to the diffraction patterns. They are now relegated to use when flying RC planes. I have another pair of Serengeti Drivers (non-pola) that are good, but they have glass lenses and I wasn't comfortable wearing them when the weather is warm 'cause I like to leave the shield of my full-face helmet up for cooling.

Finding a pair of non-polarized glasses with polycarbonite lenses and foam eye-cups proved quite a hassle! Polycarb is mandatory (in my book) for shatter-resistance. The eye-cups do a decent job of keeping wind and crud out of my eyes, although not as good as goggles would. Everything at the sunglass specialty shops and outdoor store (REI) are polarized nowadays. I finally found what I wanted at my local motorcycle dealer (imagine that), and they were only 30 bucks. I don't remember the brand, but I'll check when I go for a ride later today.

Regards,

Randy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guess I'm just not "with it". I ride with a pair of Safety glasses from Lowes or Home Depot. Nice dark tint for sunny days, Also have high-vis yellow safety glasses for hazy and cloudy days, as well as clear safety glasses for night riding.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a pair of Bolle' Vigilantes. The are wrap around with interchangeable lenses. They come with four different color lenses that snap in and out of the frames. They also have a clip in (from the inside) sub frame with prescription progressive lenses. I had the clip-in prescription polarized to cut down on glare at night. (Before the coating I would get star glare from street lights and oncoming vehicles) I have not had any issues with the windshield or the LCD display on my 1800. They are great glasses and you can get bifocal prescriptions for them at WAY less than for Oakleys. At the time I bought these Oakley didn't offer bifocal corrective lenses at all. They have been great and I don't plan on getting anything else anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts