Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil are you guys using for the heat? I am pretty sure the previous owner used only regular honda oil. If that works well I would like to continue.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Welcome Terry to GWOF.

I very common question and if you use the search tool at the top and type in "what oil', there will be material to keep you up for nights on end.

I think you are making the best choice until you decide differently in the future, if ever.
I use amsoil in all my vehicles. I am no expert in dino vs. synthetics, and have no dog in this fight. It will eventually come back as a question to you -what do you want and you have already expressed it.

The factors that made me go synthetic are:
1-I am very busy, this is easy for me to do once a year as all my vehicles get about 10 to 12k / year on them. I change all the filters in the spring and all the oil in all vehicles in October.
2-my bike is 16 years old and the number of times I have to tighten a steel bolt into an aluminum bike is a risk. The more I do it, the more I risk creating a "BIG' problem. (a pet peeve of mine and not intended to be transfered to you). I use a torque wrench but have had 1 fail me at work in the last 5 years. They are great tools and I use them regliously still today but I am now more careful and pay better attention now that it happened once.

You can't go wrong using HOnda oil. I am always impressed with Honda's engineering team that designed and executed a gl1500. I imagine that same quality is built into the newer models.

Happy reading. Unless you go outside common, proven and approved advise, you won't be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Terry, you have now entered the "twilight zone" of motorcycle discussion. THE DISCUSSION OF WHICH OIL... You will be getting a lot of opinions.

So here's mine. I've always used Honda Synthetic 10W40 without Molly. I change every 5k miles along with a Honda filter.

JMHO, I'm sure others will have theirs..

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use Mobile 1 full syn. 10W30 (non energy conserving) in the 5 gal jug from Wally World.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you ride a lot and don't want to change oil every month than go to synthetic, other wise use Honda oil. If you want to use synthetic go to WalMart and get shell Rotella T6, full synthetic and about $25.00 a gallon. I used Rotella in my 02 but always used Honda oil in my 08. As long as you change it regularly you won't have a problem no matter what oil you use. When was the last time you heard about a Gold Wind having an oil related problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found Mobil 1 RT "Racing" 10-40 full synthetic at a local auto supply. This is a specially formulated oil for motorcycles that have a wet clutch...like my Honda Goldwing. I always wondered why it seemed as though my clutch was slipping years ago when I used Castrol GTX full synthetic. Well it you find the black circle on the back of the bottle and see any words to the effect, "friction reducing" then it is not made for a wet clutch. Beyond that there is a significant body of evidence that synthetic oil is better in places like Texas where heat is far more likely than cold. At the end of the day...it is a gamble. I bet on a $10 a quart of synthetic oil against any OEM. but that is me. RIDE SAFE!

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Thank you for bringing up motorcycles and oil. This subject rarely gets talked about much and it is a very deserving subject.

I use Mobil 1 motorcycle racing oil in my wing.

Oh and by the way.... welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
what about Amsoil?I'm going to start changing my own oil.I do a lot of riding so i was thinking of going Amsoil.Any pro or con on it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Amsoil will be on here shortly and tell you all the pros. I will use it next time but am very satisfied with GN4 Honda Oil I just put in. BTW Welcome to Forum.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Oh boy....Oh Boy an oil thread...that has been brought back from the past!........Pass the pop corn!!!!:)

I use Delo 400 LE in my 1500.....Cause that is what I and the wing like. Seems to shift better with this brand......

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride a lot I had over ten thousand mile in nine months this year before i had to stop ride for surgery,and I don't like paying $90.00 and my dealer so i figure I would start changing my own.
I change my oil every 3-4 thousand mile and already have changed it three times this year so I'm looking forward to wrenching my own wing for a change.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I've been using Rotella T for about 90,000 miles, Change it every 3,000 to 4,000 miles unless I'm on a trip. The wing has 174,000 and change on it and sounds like the day I bought in Aug, of 93.
Much can be said for most name brand oils, pick one you like and change it regularly.
My opinion.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 as well.

I change my oil and rear diff at the same time each time along with a fresh OEM filter and crush washers. Gives me the "warm & fuzzies".

The Honda GT4 oil is a quality lubricant as well.

As long as you change the oil at the prescribed intervals using quality components, you're Wing will last a L-O-N-G time.

One of the 1st things I bought for my Wing was a shop manual for approx. $65. Best investment I've made other than perusing the boards for suggestions from those members whom regularly give good advise and are kind enough to share their experience and expertise.

I do all my own repairs and installs but knowing my limitations is sound judgement. Sound judgement includes not having the right or specific tool for the job I want to undertake...hint, hint.

Good luck and Best Regards.

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Amsoil 10w40 Advanced synthetic w/ Amsoil filter.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Some paraffin based gunk that won't pour out of the bottle when below 50*. Costs $1.29 a quart at the Giant T. Never change the filter as it's stuck on.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Some paraffin based gunk that won't pour out of the bottle when below 50*. Costs $1.29 a quart at the Giant T. Never change the filter as it's stuck on.
Yea, and I substituted WD40 in my Cummins diesel. :uhoh2:

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Yea, and I substituted WD40 in my Cummins diesel. :uhoh2:
As bad as they rattle, you wouldn't know the difference! :jiggy:

(Interesting assortment of new smilies!)

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
As bad as they rattle, you wouldn't know the difference! :jiggy:

(Interesting assortment of new smilies!)
Hey now, better watch that. :arghh: I used to have a Duramax and it was super quiet. Best part though, I just paid off my truck. :jiggy:

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
The older Dodge Cummins can rattle all they want, right up to the 300K plus miles they'll run!

OK, I think I'm done hijacking this old thread. :p

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
My 98 has 220,000 and runs like a scalded cat. Took it to Chicago recently towing the Wing and got 17mpg, otherwise averages 19. It's my daily driver work truck and probably won't buy another diesel truck. Getting this one re-painted and doing some restoration to make it look new. After 2 new Duramax trucks at nearly 50k, I decided to bail out of big truck payments and terrible depreciation. I'm happier now having all my chit paid for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts