Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first of all I do not have a GW... Yet,
The story goes like this: My Pa-in-law has a 2003 Valkyrie and since he had hip replacement surgery and then the replacement had to be replaced he has not been able to ride for the last 9 months. Well we were visiting him in Richmond, Virginia in March and he asked me to take his Valkyrie back to Florida and ride it until he was able to get back on it. Well he called me this week and said that he did not want me to be without a bike when he got his Valkyrie back so he was looking at a 1984 GW so that I could ride the Valk back to Virginia and then ride MY Wing back to Florida after the first of the year. He said that he was looking to get it for about a $1000.00 and that it runs but needs some work. He is a retired auto Mechanic so he is able to do the work. My question to all of you: What things should he be looking for and and what needs to be done to make sure it will make the 800 miles? Any information would be GREATLY APPRECIATED..

Thanks,
Tony (aka: Wewa Man )

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello wewa man and welcome to GWOF. the stator needs to be checked to make sure it is charging, timing belts, fuel filter, oil change, crankcase breather drained, brakes and brake fluid

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hey Wewa Man welcome from Alberta. Make sure the tyres are not too old (they have a 5-7 year shelf life) with no checks or sidewall cracks even if the tread looks fine they may be toast. Wheel and steering head bearings for tightness/smooth operation; forks shouldn't stick and it wouldn't hurt to check the fork brace mounts for wear either. The 1200's had air shocks f&r so check them for leaks. Basically the same as you would check any 27 year old bike for worthiness applies. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Nice folks and good information on here. Ride safe and enjoy the site..

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
Big welcome from Down Under. Sounds like a good way to get a goldwing. Working on a bike give a good understanding of your bike and the longer you have it the more you can do to it.Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I want to thank all of you who responded to my post. The information given is very valuble to me.. My Paw-in-Law hasn't told me if he got it or not but he did mention something about it not just being a regular goldwing, not sure what that means as I know nothing about Goldwings. I have had suzuki, honda 550, honda shadow and a kawasaki. and of course getting to ride the valkyrie and it is by far the best ride ever, sooooo smooooth.. of course if he gets it I will pass this info on to him.

Again Thanks for everything,
Wewa Man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts