Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 with 18k miles on it. Just bought it 3 weeks ago. The factory warranty runs out next week. Honda will sell me 2 more years coverage for $800.00. I'm REALLY interested to know what you all think, especially the reliability of the massive amounts of electronics on board. I have the GL1800 HPN.

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
The extended warranties can be purchased for less. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in shortly and tell you where.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
See, I knew it wouldn't be long. :)

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record but an extended warranty is like insurance. It's only worthwhile if and when you have to use it.

I've heard a few rider/owners have saved the entire cost of the ESP on the first warranty repair. I have a 7 year ESP on my 2012.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You need to ?? whomever is quoting you that ridiculous amount and that short time period! I do not believe that coverage is backed by Honda Corp!
Honda's ext. warranty is, in most cases a 4yr warranty.
Only variation of that was when Honda was offering an extra year on the new bike warranty. Then the ext. warranty was for 3yrs, not 4.
Interested in finding out the answer to this.
Direct Line Parts as noted above is the cheapest place I know to get the extended warranty!

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
My bike will get covered next year (April) by IAP/SAL not Honda's extended coverage. Less money and better coverage: seals, gaskets, bearings, electrical controls/switches; many items that most policies including Mother's won't cover. Our packages are quite a bit more expensive up here (like our parts and accessories arre) but thats what we get for living in the land of bi-level taxation and spend-thrift liberalism.

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think it's a great investment...my 09 Wing's factory warranty expired in Apr...my 4 year Honda Care warranty kicked. Shop around...there are good prices available out there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Honda is the only aftermarket extended warranty offered by the manufacturer in the motorcycle industry. Please correct me if I am wrong
HD and BMW are both 3rd party programs and that can be a crap shoot many times on certain issues
In addition they are very expensive. $500 for a Honda warranty is really a great deal if you are a warranty type of guy

I think you made a great choice Davo ;)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks, Chopin114 for the tip! 4 years, transferable, for $300 less than I almost paid the stealer for just 2 years... Direct Line was my answer.:)
Did you ask you stealer where that warranty was from that he was trying to rip you off with???????

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
The dealer's always have high profit margins. I was wondering why Direct Line's warranty was comparatively dirt cheap and did that price sacrifice coverage. I checked the coverage at my local dealer and it is a bona fide Honda Protection Plan. Reliable sources tell me that Direct Line doesn't make much in the way of a profit on the warranty they sell and rather use it as a introductory deal to there other product lines.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You might want to check w/Honda Customer Service:
Telephone: (866) 784-1870
As previously posted-I am not aware of any factory ext. of 2 years for a Wing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I actually bought my warranty at the time of purchase from dealer. The sales manager said $800 after trying to sell the 3rd party crap for something ridiculous...I laughed and said I could get it for $499.....with out hesitation he said ...I can do that.....They must get some credit from Honda for the sales.
No one pushed the road side service offered from Honda. I am not sure about the tow distance but again Honda line offers it for I believe $129.....
THe biggest rip off in price is the HD.....it is a 3rd party sanctioned by MOCO but not actually owned by it. The dealer price can be up to $2500 in parts of the country. A dealer in Illinios sells it for the price of $1688 give or take not trying to offend anyone about the HD comment...I had a clutch slippage issue in SOuth dakota on a trip last summer on the harley and the warranty covered a new clutch for the $50 deductable...at $499 price take with installation. I am a believer

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
I had the extended warranty on my 98 GL1500 and when I had engine problems everything was covered except for $2.45 for overnight shipping of a part. The total bill came to over $2,200.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.