Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found and joined your site after searching for information on my 1987 GL1200 GoldWing Aspencade. I found GoldWing doc first sorry. :) I'm not a new rider just a very very Rusty. I Rode a GoldWing as a U.S ARMY Military Police officer from 1998-2001. From 2002-2006 I served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm home now and recovered, as best as I can from my physical injuries and currently working on the mental.
Recently as a gift to myself I bought this beauty of a bike (photos are already uploaded to my members section). She's a beautiful and alluring deep metallic burgundy with dark brown leather seats and so many bells and whistles its a tad over whelming.

Shes in need of some body work and maybe a tune up but she runs like a champ as far as I can tell so far.

The reason I came here was for a few reasons one to find more people like me who share a love (possibly borderline obsession:D) for this beauty of a bike. As well as to learn how to properly care for her.

I'd like to solve a few miner things like finding out to fix a squishy front break. ( the rear seam fine and I know that the right foot break is linked to the front breaks. )
I want to restore her in time so that I can show her as well as make a few people I know jealous of her.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
First off....Thankyou for your service. Secondly....Welcome to the GWOF. Hope you enjoy the site.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome to the forum. you came to the right place for info. there are a lot of very knowledgeable ppl here. don't be scared to ask anything. And let me say Thank You for your service. Borderline obsession is the norm here. I also have a 86 GL 1200 Interstate, they call that color Wineberry I think. same as mine. Great bikes. that rear front combo takes a bit to get used to. If your fronts feelin squishy, i would flush it with fresh fluid first

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Thanks for your service. From an old Air Force vet.
Sounds like the brake needs to bled. Might be a good idea to have the brakes and clutch flushed and bled.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll do that I'll have her looked at, while I'm out taking a refresher riding course as I realized that I'm a lot rustier than I originally thought. Felt like a new rider when I tried to take her out for a spin around our parking lot to get used to her. I'll be taking her out on the road once I have her registered. Next week I hope.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all I was only doing my job and I'm proud to have done so. cant wait to put the American flag and the POW flag on her

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF and thank you for your service!

Are you a lady Wing rider? If so, outstanding!

Those of us with knowledge and/or Classic Wings will do our best to be of assistance. Great bike you have there.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Glad you joined us and thank you for your service.
I have seen the pics at the other site, very nice.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
You've got to admire a woman who rides her own motorcycle, especially a Wing! Well done, young lady! Hoo-Yah!

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Trike Lady I even found out what switches where for just haven't posted about it yet. Turns out that they are for the flood lights and the lights that are around the bags. even the last owner never knew that. The other Two lights are for additional modifications. I'm not fully sure what I'm going to do though I was thinking about adding an under body light kit and maybe a searchlight.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Welcome from the Keystone state. Ride safe and enjoy the forum. Not many ladies on here, but the list is growing. Keep us old guys in line.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tatanka I have loved the wing ever since i was knee high to a grasshopper and my uncle who told me I would never be able to ride one. ( This from the man who's WIFE rode one bigger then his!) I'm not one who knows what never means lol.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Welcome to the forum.......

And as everyone else has said....."THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE"........

Yes have to brake fluid changed and the system bled and the brakes should get better.
As far as the tune up...I would go to the auto parts store and first get a can of sea foam and put some in the gas tank and then run the bike a while to run the sea foam in the system. After running a tank of gas with the sea foam in it, I would then change the fuel filter and see how it runs then. Also if you are going to do the work on the bike are if you want to give info to who ever you get to do the work then you shoiuld look into getting a manuel for the wing.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Welcome also for your Service and a special welcome to the Forum. You'll find a bunch of nice guys here and lots of help should you need it. Ride SAFE.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Bam I'll do that. I want to get a service Manuel soon but first I want to have Honda tech do the work. then I'll start doing my own work once I'm in a better situation tool wise. I also need to come up with the owner's book for the 1987 wing as well. So that I can have it with her as well as the tool kit that was stock.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Love my 1200 wing. Eric

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Glad you found us, good luck with your Wing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts