Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just became a new Goldwing owner. Well not quite yet, I pick it up on Wednesday; 2012 Goldwing GL1800.
Looking forward to meeting new people and getting out on a few rides with groups.
Cheers
Mike and Cyn

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pa. Good place we have here make yourself at home.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF.
You are with in Striking distance of our first ever Western Meet and Greet in Kalispell, Montana. in Mid. August. Come meet the Western Crew.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from south of the border in Pennsylvania. Quite a few of your countrymen on here as well. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone

Thanks for the greetings.
Yes this is my first Wing. I used to ride snow mobiles most of my life then got a Suzuki Motocross and had a blast. Moved up to Susuki GL 650 then went a number of years without a bike. Bought the 2007 1500 Vulcan new in the create in 09 and decided it was time to get back out on the road. Unfortunately, what I had learned was that the wind here was not as much fun on the cruiser as I thought.
Last weekend a friend and I rode out to the mountains (still 2 to 3 foot snowbanks) and it was windy in the rolling hills. Although it was a nice ride, I think it was time to review the comfort levels. I had been over the past few weeks looking at the BMW K1600 GTL and the Victory Vision. Now I must say, both are beautiful bikes but there was something in the Wing that when I sat upon it said, you are the one. My wife and spent the next couple weeks reviewing all options and decided once more to hit the dealerships yesterday.
Well, I have to say that I was not able to see another BMW because the one they had left the show room and nothing replaced it. We went to visit the Victory Vision once more and it was still after 10 days not completely built but as I gave it the once over I said to the wife we need to hit Honda once more.
Well wouldn't you know it, they just happen to have the red Wing just put on the floor next to the blue one. The only two models in Canada are loaded with an air bag or no air bag. Red has no air bag (unless she is riding on the back ... hi hi) the blue ones have the air bag. This was one heck of a hard decision, it was the Candy Red that propelled me so without hesitation, I asked them to wheel it off the floor into the sold room and lets start talking. Although expensive, there is just something that back in the 70's the Wing have always caught my eye. I have not rode on a Wing since about 95 and I was only a passenger at the time. I am sure in fact I know they are so much different (smoother, responsive) that even thinking of comparing to my Vulcan I will immediately fall in love (I have with the design and feel) I know I will not be disappointed. I realize it is a heavy bike but while sitting on it sure does not act that way.
I may not have new pics on Wed which is when I hope to pick it up, but, I can assure you there will be some as soon as I get the chance.
So, in response to the one question "Is this my first Wing", yes it is. My wife and I are looking forward to it more than we can even begin to imagine.
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are correct, this is not too far away at all. Our daughter is going to university in Lethbridge and that is 1/2 way there. I am interested in more information or a link to ready more.
Thanks
Mike and Cyn

Welcome to the GWOF.
You are with in Striking distance of our first ever Western Meet and Greet in Kalispell, Montana. in Mid. August. Come meet the Western Crew.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Welcome to the Forum....Calgary, Alberta....Plenty good rodeo action in that town

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Yes we have a lot of rodeos in he area and I try to get out to photograph them as much as I can.
Couple of Bullriding fans on this forum....Post Pics Please:)

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
You are correct, this is not too far away at all. Our daughter is going to university in Lethbridge and that is 1/2 way there. I am interested in more information or a link to ready more.
Thanks
Mike and Cyn
Check out this thread
Western Region Riders: Can we do this?
Most of us are staying at the Hilltop Inn, last I heard they where about filled up, but they recommended the Blue and White Motel, it's about a block and a half away.
Most are getting to Kalispell on the 9 and leaveing the 12th of August.
If you are thinking about it , I would reserve a room now, They fill up quickly

Hill Top
1-406-755-4455
Blue and White Motel
1-800-382-351 or 1-406-755-4311

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF, GelBand, from a "neighbor" in Minnesota. Nice town you live in, and great riding in your area.

Thanks to Ron for replying about the Kalispell event. I'm attending Sturgis for the first time this August, meeting my brother-in-law from Washington state; then I'm heading up to Medora, ND (Theodore Roosevelt National Park) then on to Williston for business. So, I guess I'll just have to turn west on US-2 and take a little 600 mile ride to Kalispell!

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello gelband, welcome to GWOF and congrats to you and cyn on the purchase of the new goldwing

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new Wing.
Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. I would love to check out your neck of the woods, but I can't tell you when. Eric

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Hello gelband, as you already know you will love your new Wing. Stay safe and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Welcome, from up Edm way (Fort Saskatchewan actually). I'm pretty new here but there are lots of friendly helpful folks on this forum. I'm sure you're going to love your new wing. I picked up a Vulcan 900 last year after years away and enjoyed it immensely, but after getting the wing the cruiser isn't seeing much use.

I see Ron has already pointed out the Kalispell weekend. It'll be nice to put faces to some names. It would be great if you can join in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts