Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 15,000 km's ( 9,300 miles) my E 3's are pretty much shot. I ride 2 up often and tow a trailer some of the time. These tires are the worst handling tires I have had on a full dresser. The front is terrible over tar snakes and even worse in the wet. The rear is noisy and that started at 5,000 miles and has got worse as the miles went on. Dunlop has given the dealers here in Canada three 8% price hikes this year alone, at $ 270.00 for a rear tire with this kind of performance I am out of here. The Stock Stones lasted the same mileage and were far superior in handling. I have ordered the new Bridgestone Xedera Max ZR'S ( $ 270.00 in the U.S) and will try these. Never again will I run the E3's.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Sounds like the front one was reverse installed!

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
how much air pressure did you have in each tire

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wish it was that simple as having the rotation wrong. I experimented with tire pressures to a degree, although 35 and 40lbs worked as well as any. The bottom line is the E 3's were far from confidence inspiring.
The Bridgestone Exdrax Max ZR's I assume will be a softer compound than the E 3's, I am prepared to trade some tire life for security.
The E 3's will probably work fine for less aggressive riders, just not for me.
Re car tires, that thought has interested me for some time.
In the 60's on some of the Jap. bikes they came with Chen ???? rubber that lasted forever, mind you they had all the traction of a marble and on 30 h.p. bikes. We are now used to 100+ h.p. and vastly superior handling and still want more. Spoiled I guess.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Love my E3's. Don't know what happened but good luck.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I never get more than 5k miles out of my E3 rears. If you got 9k, you did pretty good in my book. I really don't know why people expect so much mileage out of one motorcycle tire that as to handle 1000+lbs, 100 hp/100 tq, and aggresive riding as you stated. I'm lucky to get two track days out of $500 tires on my sportbikes. I suppose I come from a different perspective.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
i had over 11k on the front e3 on the 1500 when i changed it and haven't changed the rear yet. to get the wollow out of e3's you have to run higher air pressure (38f / 41 r ) or your bike handles like crap. i haven't changend the rear tire on the 1500 yet nor do i know how many miles the po put on these tires. i put e3's on the 1200 wing with 37,xxx miles on it and have 50,5xx now and the tires are looking and handling good. i have heard of some e3 tires cupping though

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Make that driving
5 over the limit and where ever the road takes me. Twisties are not a problem. The tire hugs the road....even when the road is wet or there is some sand on the road way.

I have 6,000 miles on the tires now. I will replace the front tire with a rear motorcycle mounted backwards when the Dunlop 404 wears out in front. I expect that to happen in another 5K miles or so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yada, yada, yada.............everyone has an opinion and advise on tires. if you read the 1000's of comments posted its like a repetative endless tape......
I like the Avon Cobra's on my GL1800 and I just ordered my second set. I got close to 15,000 miles on them. I ride 2 up most of the time, pull a trailer sometimes, and ride fairly aggressive at times. I was exclusive with Dunlop E3's until last year when I hesitantly swiched. Reason: The Dunlop's were too noisy, poor handling, poor wear, and instablitly as they wore out. The Cobra's: quite from new to replacement, great handling at all speeds, stick in the turns, better in rain, and they don't feel the tar strips or grooves in the road, handled just as good worn out as new almost. But thats my yada, yada, yada.... Oh, and they cost more than the Dunlops and Bridgestones too.:)

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
On my 93 Aspencade I get 18000 to 20,000 miles on a set of E-3 and still throw away a few thousand mile when I change them. Do mostly tour riding, long distance when I get the chance.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I took E3's front and rear off of my bike when I put the car tire on. Now the only sound I hear is a very small engine noise and the wind. I swear I am riding an electric motorcycle.

The E3's had loud road noise.

I now have a Dunlop 404 on the front and the car tire on back.

I am going to put a rear motorcycle tire on the front when the Dunlop 404 wears out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts