Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my son has written off his bike I went out and bought him a bike that he can loan until the insurance is sorted. It is a 1980 cb honda 250 rsa. It is unusual to get a bike of that age in Australia with only 17000kms on it.[10612mls for my USA mates up north] It weighs a whole 250lbs. It's a single cylinder 250cc. I love this style of bike in the hills, they are just so much fun. I don't think you guys got many of this model in the USA. So from now on the wing has been christened Goliath and the 250 rs has been christened David. Eric

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Nice find Eric, They look good together.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hope your son enjoys the new wheels. only honds 250 streetbikes for 1980 in the usa were probally the 250 rebel, 250 nighthawk, and xl250 enduro. no 250rsa was imported

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hope your son enjoys the new wheels. only honds 250 streetbikes for 1980 in the usa were probally the 250 rebel, 250 nighthawk, and xl250 enduro. no 250rsa was imported
I thought that maybe the case because there didn't seem to be any parts in the USA for that bike. But there must have been plenty in the UK. Eric

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
What a team. My son ( 28 years ) just bought a 1991 Honda crotch rocket. For what he paid for it, and the money he is putting into it at the shop, he could have had a cruiser to enjoy the ride with dad. Just when I think he getting it together he pulls this one.

·
Premium Member
6,322 Posts
Since my son has written off his bike I went out and bought him a bike that he can loan until the insurance is sorted. It is a 1980 cb honda 250 rsa. It is unusual to get a bike of that age in Australia with only 17000kms on it.[10612mls for my USA mates up north] It weighs a whole 250lbs. It's a single cylinder 250cc. I love this style of bike in the hills, they are just so much fun. I don't think you guys got many of this model in the USA. So from now on the wing has been christened Goliath and the 250 rs has been christened David. Eric
Very cool Eric!

What a team. My son ( 28 years ) just bought a 1991 Honda crotch rocket. For what he paid for it, and the money he is putting into it at the shop, he could have had a cruiser to enjoy the ride with dad. Just when I think he getting it together he pulls this one.
Lee,

That's funny....my 26 y/o son has a GXR 1000.....& we ride together no problems. I think your son will be able to keep up with you better on a sport bike more than a cruiser....However the length of the ride could be shortened some.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Nice looking bikes Eric. You're such a good Daddy.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
You can't wear a CAT hat when riding that bike.

I had one of those and also a Honda Rebel. My 250 did not have the fairing and the blacked out motor. I like smaller cc motorcycles for in town riding. They suite their purpose quite well. I like the 75 mpg and ease of pushing and pulling. Batteries are $30 and tires are cheaper and last longer.

I am finding that my 600cc Silverwing is not that much more of a savings over the Goldwing. When riding it reasonable hard, I only get 40 mpg. Riding reasonable, I do get 50 mpg.

I always keep my eyes out for low mileage small cc motorcycles. I like the 125cc Kawasaki Eliminator too. 100 mpg and it will go 55 mph. That 200cc Yamaha dual sport is a winner as well.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My USA 1500 Goldwing is going to be called...............Wait for it: Bluey. It is a red 1500........... Here in Australia red heads are called Bluey. So I thought "Bluey" would confuse the masses.
Eric

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
My USA 1500 Goldwing is going to be called...............Wait for it: Bluey. It is a red 1500........... Here in Australia red heads are called Bluey. So I thought "Bluey" would confuse the masses.

Eric
So I ride Big Red and you will be riding Big Bluey:p
OooooK my fine Aussie friend, when I get to ordering the shirts are there any more color peculiarities, I should know about
Like Black is white,Orange is green:D:D:rolleyes:
I think you and I have been through this before.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ron: Not everyone see the same thing. Even when they are looking at the same thing. Some times there is little John. But little John could be big. Some people get confused with the meaning of Candy Arsed Tourers. I don't, but they do. All the red names for Goldwings had been used and soooooooo. "bluey" is very Australian. The colors on the T'shirts are all as you see them. True Blue. (That means honestly in Australian slang). Eric

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Bluey, reminds me of an old Star Trek episode! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
you don't hear anybody use the term "true blue " in the states anymore

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Ron: Not everyone see the same thing. Even when they are looking at the same thing. Some times there is little John. But little John could be big. Some people get confused with the meaning of Candy Arsed Tourers. I don't, but they do. All the red names for Goldwings had been used and soooooooo. "bluey" is very Australian. The colors on the T'shirts are all as you see them. True Blue. (That means honestly in Australian slang). Eric
Got ya mate:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Eric
O.k. Gotta ask. Why are redheads called "Bluey" in Australia?

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Eric
Okay so no one else finds something peculiar in this statement.

I've heard of people having homes in other countries but we have a Hoon that has motorcycles in other countries.....:confused:

I can see it now.

Aussie Wing - Goliath
U.S.A. Wing - Bluey
Europe Wing -Traveller
Asian Wing - ???????
South American - Guapo
Wing

:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I will give this my best shot at explaining how this "Bluey" has come about. Something alway's have been and you except it because it has always been that way. I have no proof that this is how it started but this is my explaination.
We had a lot of Celtic people with red hair and they can be a bit hot headed and get into a fight. Which we call having a "Blue". The resulting bruises were blue. Redheads and Blue. And they got that by having a blue.
Richard Branson called his planes Virgin Blue and painted them red. A take off of Australian's calling redheads "Blue".
I am not able to come up with how the saying "True Blue", came to mean that you are Fair Dinkum or honestly.
Hope this helps explain "Bluey".
Eric

·
Registered
240 Posts
Believe it or not my friend just bought a Yamaha 250 v Star ..NOT UNUSUAL RIGHT. Well this is his 3 bike started with a 1100 to a 750 to a 650 now this 250 and the funny thing he dosent know how to ride ...Go figure..:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts