Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*News flash: Info from Laguna telemetry put the Wing's fast lap at 1:59 and the sportbike fast lap at 1:39. Woo hoo!

We finally made it to a Laguna Seca trackday with the Goldwings. Both of us ran CT's and they performed flawlessly. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed 75-80 degree weather.

And here's a lap aboard my track bike, which got blackflagged/meatballed due to strict sound violations so I couldn't go full throttle. To make matters worse, my rear tire warmer caught fire earlier.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a pic of the bikes we were riding for most of the day. JR1N3937.jpg

JR1N4586.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Great video & track Dookoo. You can definitley see though, that even though capable the wing is a little out of it's element in the tight stuff. Just out of curiosity what are you're lap time differences between the Wings & rockets?

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Another great day at the races. Once again the Dokoo bros. show us that you can do it on a CT. When people ask me what brand tire I run I tell them it's a " Dokoomo Run-flat ", tried and tested on the track.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
that some nice riding dookoo

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I hope our new guy sees this one, I spotted this thread after I posted in his above (yeesh I'm a meathead sometimes). Hey, they didn't make you tape over the lights and mirrors this time?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Nice video and there is only 1 typo. Its a 34 foot drop, not 34 stories. Don't think I would want to drop into a 340 foot corkscrew. And..is that the pegs scraping or just the gen whinning?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice video and there is only 1 typo. Its a 34 foot drop, not 34 stories. Don't think I would want to drop into a 340 foot corkscrew. And..is that the pegs scraping or just the gen whinning?

From the top to the bottom of the corkscrew it's a 5 1/2 story drop.
From the top of the corkscrew all the way down to Rainey's Curve T9 it's slightly over 10 stories. So from top of the CS to T9 = nearly 17 stories :eek: What a rush :D...you are in command of the roller coaster ride :D

Great day at Laguna for sure...riding the Wings was the cream on top with extra nuts ;)

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Dookoo is a track star....Incredible weather. Once again some stellar riding by the track master.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm not exactly sure where I got the 34 stories from top of the Corkscrew to turn 10. Oh well. It sure feels like a long ways down. I've got to ride on bicycles and run/walk the track for other events, and it's quite a huff to go backwards up the Corkscrew. Physically, that's when you realize how steep that sucker is.

As far as lap times, the Goldwings were at quite a disadvantage at Laguna since it is a 'flow' track and the sportbikes can easily attain and maintain the much higher speeds this track demands. My Goldwing times were easily over 20-30 seconds slower per lap than my best times on my trackbike. However, the Wings are just a pure pleasure to ride no matter the conditions. Putting our sorry track bike bodies on the Goldwings brought big smiles to our faces (and everyone else). Glad you guys enjoyed the video.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
great pic's Friend, nothing like a day at the track

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Great pictures & posts guys. Thanks for sharing with us.

As far as lap times, the Goldwings were at quite a disadvantage at Laguna since it is a 'flow' track and the sportbikes can easily attain and maintain the much higher speeds this track demands. My Goldwing times were easily over 30-40 seconds slower per lap than my best times on my trackbike.
I could tell that you had to really be hindered with how slow (don't take that wrong) you guys made your way through the corkscrew. You probably lost about 15 of your seconds there. If you guys ever have the opportunity to run Watkins Glen you'll find that same issue. It's like being on a Rollercoaster.:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hey DF, like that exhaust system on the Viffer! And Dookoo's Wing (I'm guessing that's his) looks like the same colour as mine. Em, is that a Yosh sticker I see on the Wing's pipe? Pretty cool carrying a two wheel motor home behind the motorhome! Tire warmers doing their thing and the whole works, what a day you guys had.:cool:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No offense taken. We like to push any bike to its near limits. On one hand, we find the shortcomings of the Goldwing. At the same time, we rediscover why we love it so much. Talk about smooooooth and oh so comfortable! Instead of going for the pain management pills, we just have to hop on the Wing. And going two-up wouldn't of slowed us up a bit. Now that's quite a bike.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Great Pics....Thats some crazy leans. Should really consider putting wheels on your knees. Awesome stuff.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts