Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Goldwing forum because I'm researching the cross country vs. goldwing. I have owned a kawasaki vulcan classic lt for one year. I am 53 years old and this is the first bike I have ever owned. I am looking for a bigger bike for comfort and power. I'm not a race horse but just would like more power than the 900 I have now. I ride alot in the country for 1 to 3 hour rides but would like to go on some short trips. Can anyone give me some pointers to think about both as far as city and country handling and up keep and power. I have test drove both and like both (other than the tremendous buffeting on the cross country). Thanks for your input.

Larry Pace
Murfreesboro, Tn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Because this is a Goldwing Forum, I suspect the responses will be just a wee bit biased. That said, these are 2 completely different bikes. Biases set aside, I would still pick the Wing for a number of reasons. The first you already identified -- wind buffeting. If you plan on doing any extended trips, the buffeting will beat you up. Also, the Wing has one of the smoothest and for its size powerful engines on the planet and this makes for a smooth, less tiring trip. In addition, there are Honda dealers everywhere -- not so for the Victory. The Wing with its built in trunk also has more carrying capacity. But the choice is obviously yours. (For what its worth I would pick the Victory over a Harley Touring bike -- it is a very nice bike in its V-Twin segment, but it's not a Wing).

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If it was me and there was a choice to be made between a Cross Country and a Road Glide, I'd pick the Victory in a heartbeat. Better handling, more power, better looking (IMO) and a generally better built bike (again IMO). But to put a Wing in the mix is really no contest...way more comfort, better ride, handling, power, classier, the whole ball of wax. But every rider is different, whick one sings to you? That's where it's all at.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All BS aside I;ve had some 30 motorcycles through the last 53 years and I'm on my 7th wing by the way at my age that will be the last, my bro has a new Venture 1600 or 1700 cant remeber which it is but he has had 2 1800 and is taller than I now he hates the Wing as he is not comfortable on it, and Ive ridden his new one and I must say It is more comfy than the Wing. Has plenty of power but unlike a wing where you just hit the throttle he has to downshift.
Now the 1800 is a touring crotch rocket. The 1500 wing which goes through the year 2000 is much more comfortable touring than the 1800. I have 81000 on my 1800 and 150000 on a 1500 no comparison in ride. The 1500 does not handle as easy as the 1800. But after its all said and done your the one spending the money but if you don't care about the power and a 1500 has plenty it will go as fast as the 1800 just takes a little more time to get there I would find me a low mileage 1500 anything under 50000 is low mileage.
Good luck in your quest

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I enjoy the peace and quiet of the Wing as opposed to a V-twin rumble. I've owned a 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1200, 1995 Goldwing 1500 SE and my current 2009 Goldwing 1800 and the 1800 is far and away the best of everything. JMHO, your money, your decision. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yeesh, what's with the wiper? What made you post up a white Wing Maestro? haha

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'll believe you; thousands might not:D Still curious about that wiper tho. I'd have a hard time convincing Yabut (my sig's nickname) to spend any pillion time on anything other than a Wing. Do you plan on much two-up riding Larry? That's really where Wings leave the rest of the world behind. Could be the one saving grace against the new1600GTL and it's performance and weight advantage (assuming the GTL isn't plagued with early release glitches that BMW is famous for).

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
thats assuming someone on the forum has some seat time on a wing and the victory and i don't mean a test ride on each of them other wise its your cash so spend it on what you want to see parked in your garage

·
Registered
174 Posts
Keep it simple, especially if you like the way both bikes ride. Take out a map, chart a course from New York to Los Angeles. Now see how many Honda dealers you wil pass vs how many Victory dealers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts