Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Ultra Classic thinking about upgrading , Any pros and cons on the goldwing or should I keep my Harley?

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... I Have Converted 3 Harley Friends Over To Wings ... And They Say They Wish They Had Done It Sooner ... Goldwings Are All About - Style And Comfort ... Happy Trails ...

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Birds of a feather tend to flock together. What do your best riding buddies ride ? The answer is within yourself. But enough with the philosophy. They are both on two wheels and both have ridden far. As short as I have ridden so far, I wish the Goldwing had a true 6th overdrive gear. If your riding an 05 Haley, I'll assume you don't have a 6 speed tranny .But!!! the goldwing has six cylinders. It is exceptionally smooth and vibration free at any speed. The comfort level of the passanger is without exception superb. What it doesn't have is the Harley feel of engine torque. Imagine you are riding a covertable with only two wheels. If this appeals to you, upgrade.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Would you rather drive a Porshe or a model "T"

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
I've never riden a Harley, but I do have a V-Twin Yamaha that rides great. Smooth and very well balanced, but so is the Goldwing. The comfort level for the wife is the reason for the recent purchase of the Goldwing. I put a belly pan on the wing today and took it for a short spin. A 90 mile spin around the county and a good couple hours. The Wing is very comfortable and rides great.
Mark

·
Registered
449 Posts
The co-rider is the one that moves way up in the world with the wings comfort and options. My wife became a co-pilot with the wing. She has her own seat heater, storage compartments, cup holder, arm rests, push to talk cb control, music volume control, transformer floorboards. Not to mention, we like to talk to each other on the intercom. REMEMBER- When mama's happy....everyone is happy!;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Crownfire: Why did you add belly pan, and did you notice any differance? I was thinking of adding one in the spring.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Carl334
The reason I added the belly pan was due to advice from others. Road debris could kick up and damage the underside, especially the plastic coolant tank. I picked up the vented version from wingstuff. I can’t say it made any difference in the ride but some reviewers comment on that. It was easy to put on, took me more time to pull the protective covering and bandage my fingers than to install it. Wear gloves, when you pull on a louver to get it over the last bolt it will shave off pieces of finger.
Mark

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
10-4 Crownfire. I almost got sidetracked with all the glitter to buy. I made a commitment to get the belly pan next. I, also, was looking at the louver style. " Non corborundum bellypanum ", wear gloves.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Chopin114,
Thanks, it didn’t. But it isn’t the first time I’ve shaved off a piece of me. So far nothing really important and they all grew back.
Mark

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
a 1500 or 1800 wing is a bigger and heavier bike than the harley but it's more of which you like best. i know guys that had harleys and sold them to get a wing only to sell the wing and get another harley. if you can take a test ride on a wing. me i just buy what i want and i want a bmw r90, i've never had one but good or bad i'll be happy when i get it

·
Registered
515 Posts
I ride a 2000SE, never ridden a HD until this past fall. Went to a local HD dealer and participated in their demo day. Rode 3 bikes, the ultra classic was by far the best of the 3. I was very impressed with the tourqe, not found on the wing. The rider position was nice and comfortable, but I can't say for the passenger. However, I didn't think the HD handled as well as my wing, it felt a little more awkward, but that may have just been me. The big difference was rider controls, on the wing, everything seems to be laid out nicer, large buttons, easier to reach and grouped better. The HD controls was everything but. I wouldn't turn one away by anymeans, but at this point, I prefer the wing. My opinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think both bikes are great but I have a few complaits about the Harley 1 is it's lack of room. 2 you seem to sit right up on the windshield. 3 the Vibration at Idle. Long distance on one isn't comfortable (had a 95 ultra classic). It is a well built and beautiful motorcycle and the only real vibration was at idle. I like to ride long trips )500+miles and nothing works for me as well as a Goldwing. There are many people who will bash a Harley as a oil dripping, breakdown prone, hand numbing peice of crap. It's not so. maybe back during the AMF years but since the EVO came out it's a good bike. They still need a top end overhaul about every 70K but still great bikes. If you really want to tear up some miles I say go Goldwing. The 1500 is a bit of a luxo-barge and while it will manuver well in the twisties it still has some flex. The 1800 will corner and run with some sportbikes. I just don't have enough room on the 1800's. I dont think you can go wrong when you spend the money on what YOU want with any of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 'wing has a lot of torque, more than a Harley, it's just that the torque is applied smoother from a 6-cylinder, so you don't notice it as much. My 1500 Intruder has the same torquey feel as a Harley, but my 1500 'wing will beat it out of the hole and tear it up on the highway. The 1800 'wing has a lower center of gravity, so it handles better. My 1200 'wings were taller than the 1500s, but still had the "motorcycle" feel and some characteristic motorcycle vibration. The 1500 is so smooth, it's no wonder they're called the "road sofa."

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Motorcycles are soooo personal that it is difficult if not impossible to make a chioce for someone else. I've owned and ridden HD's and forme, the Wing is better. Some things about the Ultras I like better, like the side opening trink lid, and the extra punch in the sound system. As for road manners though, not even the Screaming Eagle Ultra can compare to the refined feel and power delivery of any of the six cylinder wings. Would I ever buy another HD? Absolutely. But I'll never again be without my Wing. If HD ever puts out an SVO Wideglide, I better win the Lotto 'cause I would have to have another bike in the stable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
Empty!

The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise
without the adverse side effect of horsepower!

Did you know 95% of all Harleys are still on the road?
The other 5% actually made it home.

Is it true that Harleys are chick magnets?
Yes, but only if the chick has a steel plate in her head.

What's the cheapest way to get another 50hp from your Harley?
Trade it in on a Suzuki.

Why don't Harley riders sit on their bikes when the side stand is down?
They're afraid to lean over that far.

What's the difference between a Harley and a Harley owner's home?
The Harley costs more and has fewer wheels.

How do you know you're riding a Harley?
While coming off an exit-ramp you get passed by a Vespa.

Why don't Harley riders wave at sportbike riders?
Because they don't want to drop their tools.

How do you know all the aftermarket parts you bought for your Harley are worth the money?
You finally break into the 15's in the quarter mile!!!

What do you call a group of Harley Owners with a collective IQ of 120?
Sturgis!

How do Harley engineers tell if a bike is worthy of the Harley name?
They check to make sure the exhaust noise in decibels exceeds the horsepower rating.

Why don't Harley owners smile?
Once you realized you got conned into paying $25,000 for an outdated piece
of $#!+, would YOU be smiling?

What's the difference between a Harley Davidson and a vacuum cleaner?
The location of the dirtbags.

Why do Harleys have fringe?
So you can tell if they're moving.

How is a Harley Davidson like an old dog?
They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

How do you know your Harley is handling great?
You can almost keep up with the logging trucks when you're riding in the canyons.

What is the difference between a Harley Davidson and an old dog?
The dog can get in the back of the pickup by itself.

Why couldn't the Harley mechanic repair the doorknob?
Some things just can't be fixed with only a hammer and a rope.

What's the difference between a Harley taken to Daytona on a trailer and one that's being ridden there?
The one on the trailer is going about 30mph faster.

Why do all Harley owners have trailers??
So they can go around corners faster!

Where can you find the world's largest collection of Harley jokes?
On the showroom of the Harley mega-store in Milwaukee.
(Alternate answer: At Sturgis)

You know you're a Harley rider if:
You're unable to let your bike simply IDLE at a stop light.

You confuse the word "character" with the more accurate term "engineering flaws".

"Water cooled" means standing on the side of the road, in the rain, waiting for a wrecker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow those are harsh!

A new Harley is a great bike. It just does not handle, perform or ride as well as a wing. But they are reliable, look and sound great and if most of your riding is leisurely cruising and less than 200 miles in a given day, you will probably be perfectly happy on a Harley. The only word of caution with a Harley is they are extremely hard to balance at slow speeds if you do not know what you are doing with them. You need to learn how to torque them or they will fall over on top of you. You cannot just do a U turn by balance alone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thats a bunch of funny jokes although far fetched still funny. As far as handling goes for slow speed manuvers it's more about what bike your comfort zone is in. If You have been riding a 88 1500 wing for 22 years you will be comfortable in about any manuver on about any 1500 wing. The first time I rode an 1800 ot took about an hour of riding before my confidence level was up enough to make some low speed manuvers I made on my Valkyrie everyday. It takes a while to get the feel of any bike. As for the Harley Dressers like the Ultra, I can do any manuver on my 95 Ultra that I could do on any wing and probably better. If I had to do low speed trick manuvers I'd take the Harley any day. I put 177,000 miles on my 77 Gold Wing and you can bet I knew every limitation of that bike. I could make low speed manuvers with my Ultra Classic I could only dream of on my wing. Now if I spent all my riding time in a parking lot I'd probably still own my Ultra.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have an 05 Ultra Classic thinking about upgrading , Any pros and cons on the goldwing or should I keep my Harley?
Hi jaswen. Its pretty simple in my book. How many 400+ mile day trips do you plan or 1000 mile weekends ? If not many and all your friends have harleys, keep the Harley. I love the sound, think Harleys are beautiful, acknowlege they are the bluprint for many (most) of the existing cruisers out there. Still, distance riding belongs to Gold Wing, BMW and Victory with a couple other close contenders.

Its about comfort and design. the Harley 74 was never designed as an 700 mile a day bike. Yes it can be done but it can also be done on an AJS single (good luck). Todays Harleys are extensions of the 74 with many upgrades esp in the suspension. Be sure you check into the cooling technique on the newest Ultra Classic. In 09 the scheme to prevent overheating was the rear cylinder shuts off and the bike runs on one cylinder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts