Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds impossible but it happened to me 2 days ago. I got on my wing and started it up. I always leave it in neutral in my garage or any other time I shut it off. I raised the kick stand and was about to manually push it back out of my garage when it took off. It accelerated briskly and slammed into the back of my garage damaging the front end. I just had time to grab the hand brake which did no good. After the impact, the green neutral light was still on so I pushed it back a few feet and shut it off. My foot never touched the gear shift. I never gave it any throttle. I am no amateur. I have ridden for over 41 years. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I'm not sure what to do next.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from maryland , if it has happened before to one of these good fellows they sure will let you no

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I have never heard of this.... but other serious Wing riders might know of an instance of this. I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who know about wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
What year Wing?

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello bob, welcome to GWOF. turn the ignition switch on so you can see the neutral light but don't start the bike. try pushing the bike foward ( or backwards ) if its in gear it will only rock as the gear catches and you'll know the neutral light is reading the wrong gear

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Firstly welcome to GWOF from Down Under. What a hard way to find out that was posiable. The only time I have heard of this happening was with a Ford Auto. And that is with an automatic car. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
Firstly welcome to GWOF from Down Under. What a hard way to find out that was posiable. The only time I have heard of this happening was with a Ford Auto. And that is with an automatic car. Eric
i had an '85 v6 mustang like that, start it up and it would take off in reverse. had to smack the shifter in park that would move the linkage enough to get it out of reverse

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Alabama. Don't like hearing these things...but I guess it will help me stay alert to such things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pushing bike forward

hello bob, welcome to GWOF. turn the ignition switch on so you can see the neutral light but don't start the bike. try pushing the bike foward ( or backwards ) if its in gear it will only rock as the gear catches and you'll know the neutral light is reading the wrong gear
First of all I want to thank you and everyone else for making me feel welcome on this site. Even a reply from Down Under. That's awesome!

I tried what you suggested, but it is not in gear. I don't know if the problem will ever duplicate itself again. I started the bike with the kick stand down. I don't think the engine will start in gear that way unless the clutch is engaged.

By the way, I am in Indiana. Thanks again for all the replys. If anyone has ever heard of this happening before, please let me know. I will keep watching this site.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Bob. I have never heard of this but maybe someone will chime in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did read of another instance where the bike "took off" on a rider and they were in their driveway and shot straight across the street and slammed into the curb. It was an inexperienced rider who took no action after it took off and was just trying to "hold on"....Don't remember where I read about it, but Honda refused to deal with it when reported and stated it had to have been rider error and could not have happened as stated. But what the rider described sounds like the same thing you experienced. Don't remember the year model on the incident. If I'm not doing anything, I'll surf around and see if I can find the article.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts