Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, thats a bad word, but here in Mn, our riding season is coming to an end. I was just wondering what you do to them before you store them away? I had a yamaha V-Star a few years ago, and all I did with that was fill the tank, and dump in some sta bil, then shut the gas off, and run it until it died. And then I took the battery out and put it in the basement.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Just read this on "End of Season Cycle Maintenance" in WingWorld:
1. Change the Oil and Filter
2. Check Fluids or change if due
3. Fill the tank and add Stabil
4. Wash and wax and put air in the tires
5. Disconnect Battery (Negative Terminal first)
6. Trickle charge every 30 days
I myself intend on riding year round.....I hope this helps though

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I pretty much do what EF said except I don't disconnect the battery. I have mine on a battery tender and let it connected all winter. Keeps electronics from killing battery.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Ditto to Two Wheels comment. Never had an issue.

Oh & always put the bike up on the center stand. Not sure why but it makes sense somehow.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
don't forget the lemon pledge

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Do everything TW does, and then I cover it with a nice soft 'breathable' throw. Some peeps put a piece of rug or such under the front wheel too, centre stand for sure.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Might look for a way to keep the mice out of it. There are reports of bad mice damage from winter storage. Setting out some mice poison in the garage might be some prevention as there is no food in the bike...just good winter cover and some things to chew on.

I ride year about here in Seattle, except during the heavy raining season, which can last a month at a time.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
All the above, except no need to disconnect the battery.
Careful with the Lemon Pledge, the wife sees you with it you could end up dusting the furniture.:eek:

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Careful with the Lemon Pledge, the wife sees you with it you could end up dusting the furniture.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Don't want to talk about how I know:(

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Larry, good point on those little furry critters. I've not had any damage, but have seen pics of what they can do to an air filter and wiring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
glad i don't have this problem, here in florida we get to ride all year, although july and august can be a beast.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Do everything TW does, and then I cover it with a nice soft 'breathable' throw. Some peeps put a piece of rug or such under the front wheel too, centre stand for sure.
Why the rug under the wheel and center stand? Never heard that before....

"glad i don't have this problem, here in florida we get to ride all year, although july and august can be a beast."

I will take 100 degrees ANY day over cold...That is just me :cool:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
You guys should be giving us Northern riders positive advice and not rubbing it in that you ride all year. At least we don't have to scrape "love bugs" off our bikes.

I like the pledge idea but I get "the wife" to do it because she is much more experienced. My bike has carpet under wheels, lots of air in the tires, and some nice soft blankets over the top.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Here is a mouse tip:

Dryer sheets are a very good deterrent for mice. Stick them where the mice can climb and it can keep them off of the bike.

Feed them lots of poison too and a couple of those sticky traps by the bike....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts