Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a big man 6'2" 300 lbs the seat is oem and makes it hard to oporate shift and brake controls because they are under my butt to far do they make a seat for longer leged peaple and if so whitch do you think is the best

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. There are a lot of after market seats for the goldwing. Hartco, Saddleman, Kurykan, Corbin to name a few. If you check the company websites they should have information on customization to fit most riders height and weight. I had a Saddleman Road Sofa on my 98 GL1500 SE and loved it. Good luck and ride safe whatever your sitting on...

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
revjim, Two Wheel has given you a great start. In addition there are private companies that make Custom seats. One of our members, lrjackel had a seat built for him and another one Ronzilla has a custom seat on his as well. If you private message them I'm sure they will share any info with you. They are both real good guys, much like a lot of people here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks folks my wife and i bought a goldwing last year while at the sturgis rally at rice honda in rapid city sd my wife was very uncomfortable on my stratoliner 1900 a great bike but no comparision to the wing she told me on the test ride not to go back to the dealership just to keep going on the goldwing we got the bike the next day what a machine just a little hard to use the controls as the liner has controls more foward thanks again for your responce we will talk again neat forum

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Two Wheel or fossi92
One of you advised me a few weeks ago about a custom seat guy in Ephrata PA. Would you send me that link again? Thanks. I'm ready to go see the guy now and can't find the posts. Oh, well another geezer moment.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Intruder. You've got mail.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
My husband is 6'2" and 320. He has horrible problems with Goldwing seats. The stock seats don't work for him at all. 2,000 miles ago we got a custom made Hartco seat. Break in is 3,000 miles. He's still suffering! Just today he said "We have motorcycle that is made for 1,000 miles a day and I can't go 30 miles without pain. Something is f____ up about this!" I hope those of you that can get on your wing and travel for thousands of miles without blinking an eye know how lucky you are.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am not a work out guru but, advise your husband to start stretching a little bit every day. This may be the cause of his pain or at least the stretching should aleviate some of the pain. You can even offer to help him out for the first month - to get him motivated. Hope this suggestion helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You don't say where the pain is located, but if it is lower back, I may be able to help. I am 6' 300 lbs and hade some back discomfort when I first started riding. I found that if I change the position of my feet every 10 minutes it helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
kuryakyn makes a seat that is set back 2",i bought a saddleman road sofa gell seat,much better than stock,takes about 1,000 miles to break in

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just purchased a used 1800 today and the previous owner is 6'4". He had a custom seat put on. I took it off today and put the original seat back on. I'm 5'10". The color of this seat is tan and he also had the passenger back rest reupholstered so not it is tan. I would like to change it back to black and also sell the custom seat. Any suggestions as to finding the best way to go about getting it back to black? I'm assuming the upholstery rework would be somewhat expensive.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just purchased a used 1800 today and the previous owner is 6'4". He had a custom seat put on. I took it off today and put the original seat back on. I'm 5'10". The color of this seat is tan and he also had the passenger back rest reupholstered so not it is tan. I would like to change it back to black and also sell the custom seat. Any suggestions as to finding the best way to go about getting it back to black? I'm assuming the upholstery rework would be somewhat expensive.
I may be interested in this seat. Do you have any pictures of it? Also what brand is the seat and how old is it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seat

I took some pictures yesterday morning when I purchased the bike. I'll download the pictures tomorrow when I get to work and post a link here.

The seat is tan. The previous owner had the seat custom made by an upholster in Charlotte, so I guess it does not have a brand. I test rode the bike and the seat was comfortable but a little wide for me and my back did not reach the back rest He said they made it and he wrote it for a short time and made some adjustments and then put the fabric on. The seat also has a back rest.

I may be interested in this seat. Do you have any pictures of it? Also what brand is the seat and how old is it?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Are you looking to sell it or trade for a stock seat?

I have an 08' with stock heated seats with Utopia backrest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seat

When I purchased the bike he still had the stock seat. I took the custom seat off and put the stock seat on. I do need the passenger back rest because he had the passenger back rest reupholstered. I could get it re re upholstered or find another one. Also I am looking for some arm rest with a cup holder and a drivers back rest.

Nelson

Are you looking to sell it or trade for a stock seat?

I have an 08' with stock heated seats with Utopia backrest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Photos Available

http://www.wrlonginc.com/goldwing.htm

You can double click the photos and it will download a larger high quality photo.

Nelson

I took some pictures yesterday morning when I purchased the bike. I'll download the pictures tomorrow when I get to work and post a link here.

The seat is tan. The previous owner had the seat custom made by an upholster in Charlotte, so I guess it does not have a brand. I test rode the bike and the seat was comfortable but a little wide for me and my back did not reach the back rest He said they made it and he wrote it for a short time and made some adjustments and then put the fabric on. The seat also has a back rest.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am gonna have to pass on that seat. And I am glad you happened along! I was actually contemplating having my seat done in a light Brow/Tan leather.

I have a similar colored Wing and I am glad I got to see it, It is not what I thought it would look like.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jomarprop, I realise this is not PC, but 300+lbs all going through your lower back and bum, will always be uncomfortable on a motorcycle. There really are 2 things that will help, Stretching/exercise to build up the lower back muscles and loosing weight. I am sorry to hear your husband has so much discomfort, but I would think that would be the case on any motorcycle not just the wing. With that much weight, he needs to really build up the lower back muscles to avoid discomfort and try stretching to get some extra mobility (and muscle tone). A gel seat might also help a bit but I suspect the stretching/exercise will be the best solution but it does require time and effort.

Gary

PS I am 6'2" and used to weigh 280+lbs, I could ride about 300 miles before I had severe back ache and had to stop. I had a lap band fitted 2 years ago and lost 100lbs, I can now ride for 100's of miles and have no back ache at all. I did not stretch or exercise before loosing the weight but know that this much weight will really make riding uncomfortable, a back rest might also help your husband a bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts