Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth the cost? The Goldwing Saddle Bag's shape don't lend themselves to easy packing, seems like almost everything fall into the lid when the bag opens. Maybe its my packing method? :) Would most of my gear fit into the saddle bag luggage?

Right Bag is used for Rain and Cold Weather Gear, 1st Aid Kit, extra gloves, Bungee cords and net, tools, compressor, items not used on a daily basis.

Left Bag is for clothes, normally packed in "dry sacks".

Trunk is left as empty as possible or filled with an extra pair of riding boots (hate riding in wet boots) and shoes (Size 14's)

I ride solo so I have a round bags that sits on the bitch seat, it contains my breathing machine and a book.

The trunk rack is dedicated to a large dry sack for dirty laundry.

Hate all the loose stuff but don't want to invest in bags that won't hold all my gear. Can the saddle bag luggage (inserts) be purchased alone, or do you have to buy the trunk bag too? (Don't really want a trunk bag.)

Any info/feedback will be welcome.
Thanks,
T-rex

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
There are a couple bag line sets on e-bay for $45, not sure about the shipping. I had the leftover liners from my 1500 trike conversion so I use them. They're a bit larger than the 1800 bags, but I took out the plastic bottom inserts and they work fine for me. Kuryakin sells them too, and I didn't check Wingstuff, but I imagine they have some. Hondaline are a 3 piece set with the trunk bag.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Just measure the size you need and go to a store that sells bags, I'm sure you will find bags to fit with more options and a lot cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Like Budoka, I kept the bags from my GL1500 and they work fine. Hold a lot of "stuff" and are easy to carry in and out of hotel. If you buy other bags make sure they are made of heavy material with good handles so they will hold up and not break/tear.. Good luck..

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
T-Rex... perfect timing on the question. Perfect for a response from me that is. I am currently on a trip and using these for the first time. I have these bags:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/17_Hondaline_Accessory/45_GL1800_Hondaline_Deluxe_Saddlebag_Trunk_Liners/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F17_Hondaline_Accessory%2Fmfg%2F%3Fpage%3D4

The bags are of decent quality, not exceptional so I say they are not worth $169. In addition, the problem is they don't really fit into the side cases very well. I mean they fit but you lose alot of space because the bags are not 'custom' designed to make the most efficient use of the space (volume) of the side cases. If I had it to do all over again I would buy a good duffle bag (or 2) that is equal in size or very close to the size of the side cases and pack my duffle with my gear. Then I would kinda stuff that bag into the side case and make use of more of the volume.

So I am sayin' there isn't anything special about the bags I have. I know I could easily find a better solution for less money.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got tired of trying to pack everything into the saddle bags and trunk, so I bought a trailer.
We use it all the time.
On our trips, I just leave it hooked up to the Trike.
You never know when the wife or myself will buy something!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Everyone for your response. I agree with DonaldL, the Honda bags are nice but expensive, but thanks for the addditional info, I thought the bags would be tailor made for the Goldwing. I think I'm going to go with Badger's idea and order from Wingstuff. I would like to get a trailer for my bike, but not right now. My plan is to convert my Wing to a Trike when I hit 70yrs old, not that far off. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you can get your hands on a pair of Harley saddle bag liners, they work really well, the shape is not that far off, they fit nicely into the GW, and make getting into and out of the motel easy. Sometimes that stuff can be had on one of the for sale sites.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Papa's Got A Brand New Bag(s)

Thanks! I rode to Harley Davison in Palm Bay, FL and scoped out the saddle bag inserts. Salesman let me take the bags outside to check for fitment. Super fit, and a good price, $49.95. If anyone else is interested the HD Part #91887-98, Saddle Bag Liner FLHRC Road King Classic. The bags are: L-17", W-5" and H-10.5". They have a small velcro-seal pocket on one end of the bag, inside are two side pockets and the bags are water repellent. It will hold four of my dry-sac bags (with clothes for 5days) plus misc items. I'm sure these saddle bag liners will work for me!! Thanx's Again.
T-Rex
If you can get your hands on a pair of Harley saddle bag liners, they work really well, the shape is not that far off, they fit nicely into the GW, and make getting into and out of the motel easy. Sometimes that stuff can be had on one of the for sale sites.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Thanks! I rode to Harley Davison in Palm Bay, FL and scoped out the saddle bag inserts. Salesman let me take the bags outside to check for fitment. Super fit, and a good price, $49.95. If anyone else is interested the HD Part #91887-98, Saddle Bag Liner FLHRC Road King Classic. The bags are: L-17", W-5" and H-10.5". They have a small velcro-seal pocket on one end of the bag, inside are two side pockets and the bags are water repellent. It will hold four of my dry-sac bags (with clothes for 5days) plus misc items. I'm sure these saddle bag liners will work for me!! Thanx's Again.
T-Rex
Sweet! I think I take a ride to Patriot Harley in Fairax, VA next week. I've been there so many times to buy little accessories that I can't find at the Honda Dealer that I am now a registered customer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts