Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there (in states other than California) tell me if any or all Goldwings from 2006 and newer are manufactured having a tag or label on the bike's frame that say "Conforms to California regulations" or "Legal for sale in California" ? It might also say it in your manuals. I am looking at many different Goldwings on ebay that are outside of California and to be able to register an out of state bike the CA DMV wants the bike to comply to those standards. If it has such a sticker it is a shoe in. I am hoping Honda made them all the same. The price I pay living in CA, oh well. Hope to hear from you. Thanks!!!!!!!!! BuilderSteve.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A specially designed 50-psi Keihin® fuel-injection system delivers not only
maximum performance, but together with twin catalytic converters contributes
to the Gold Wing’s extraordinarily low emissions levels—your Gold
Wing easily exceeds the nation’s most stringent emissions requirements, the
2008 California Air Resources Board (CARB) standards, by over 50 percent.

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/02_GoldWing.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can anyone out there (in states other than California) tell me if any or all Goldwings from 2006 and newer are manufactured having a tag or label on the bike's frame that say "Conforms to California regulations" or "Legal for sale in California" ? It might also say it in your manuals. I am looking at many different Goldwings on ebay that are outside of California and to be able to register an out of state bike the CA DMV wants the bike to comply to those standards. If it has such a sticker it is a shoe in. I am hoping Honda made them all the same. The price I pay living in CA, oh well. Hope to hear from you. Thanks!!!!!!!!! BuilderSteve.
Can't say for the Goldwings and since no one has answered yet, I can say that Honda VTX's do not meet California specs unless it's a California VERSION with oxygen sensors on the pipes.
So be careful as I have seen a few people make that mistake on Ebay. when I do my searches on all sites I always enter 500 miles from my zipcode since NOT one site has a search mode for a state only search. :eek:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
All 1800 Gold Wings are 50 state bike, The 1500 Gold Wing is not, A 1500 Gold Wing has to have 7,500 miles on it before you can register it in Calif. The 1800 doesn't. I bought an 02 in Oregon in 03 and it had 2,000 miles on it when I got it home to Calif, no problem registering it. On the 01 to 05 the smog sticker is on the inside of the right chrome engine cover (the one you remove to check the oil) on the 06 and up it's inside the trunk on the lid. There are a lot of great buys on used Wings out there now, good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All 1800 Gold Wings are 50 state bike, The 1500 Gold Wing is not, A 1500 Gold Wing has to have 7,500 miles on it before you can register it in Calif. The 1800 doesn't. I bought an 02 in Oregon in 03 and it had 2,000 miles on it when I got it home to Calif, no problem registering it. On the 01 to 05 the smog sticker is on the inside of the right chrome engine cover (the one you remove to check the oil) on the 06 and up it's inside the trunk on the lid. There are a lot of great buys on used Wings out there now, good luck with your purchase.
I did not know that. thanks I'm looking at a coworkers 1500. good to know.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site chrijone.
rtoledo2002, VTX (1300) models were carburetor engines just like the 1500's and several other Honda models. CARB/EPA compliance was different for them hence the CA specific models EFI didn't hit until the VT1300 series (Stateline, Fury etc in I believe the second year of production) came out with PGMFI. The VTX1800 were all PGMFI so I'm fair certain they were 50 State legal

·
Registered
240 Posts
As posted, 1800's are 50 state compliant. I bought a 2012 wing in PA and had it shipped to CA. DMV just wanted to see the sticker on the trunk lid and I was good to go. I would double check with DMV on the 1500. I think that if it has a EPA sticker for that year, you should still be good on bringing it in. The big thing that they are looking for is if you do not have it titled in your name in another state, then you will have to pay the sales tax when you are getting it registered. If you have it titled in your name and the bike has over 7500 miles, then you do not have to pay the sales tax. I just bought a used 2012 KLR 650 that was registered and titled in AZ. All CA DMV wanted to see is that it had an EPA sticker on the bike for the year of production.

If I remember correctly, the 49 state vs. the 50 state is for sale of new bikes coming into the state for sale. Not used bikes.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When I took the 1800 I bought in Oregon to the DMV to get it registered they also wan to see the VIN, and motor number. Make sure you know where they are before going to the DMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts