Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 89 gl 1500 and i need to remove the rear tire from the bike so i can take it to my dealer and have a new tire installed. normally i have them do it but this time i will. i have an owners manual and should be able to do it from the sequence shown in the manual.is there anything special i should know

trip

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i haven't removed my rear wheel yet. i say yet because i will be doing brakes ( fornt and rear ) this week

·
Registered
12 Posts
Loads of info m8. Don't follow the manual as it will take you hours to get it apart and back together again. there is a shortcut.

Remove the seat and open the side panniers. Under the seat you will see two nuts that hold on the sub-frame for the panniers. Loosen these bolts but don't remove them as you will use these as a pivot for the complete sub-frame assembly.. Inside the panniers towards the front you will see a couple of rubber blanking grommets. Take them out (one might have the compressor line going through it but that doesn't matter) Inside here are the two bottom bolts holding on the bottom of the pannier sub-frame. Loosen these bolts. you don't need to take them all the way out as the frame is slotted and can slide out. Loosen the air feed to the rear suspension unit or it will come under a lot of strain.

Now you are ready to swing the complete pannier assembly up out of the way. I have a length of wood that I place under the assembly once it is up in the air. you then have to remove the rear brake hanger bracket. this is bolted through the rear suspension unit and it a real bitch to slacken. Once you have the bracket and caliper hung up out of the way so you don't strain the flex pipe, you need to loosen the silencers. you don't need to take them off, just swing them up out of the way. Undo the wheel nut and remove the axle shaft. It is a bit fiddly but from here you should be able to wiggle the wheel enough for it to drop out and slide out from under the bike. something I did last time was tether the bike to the frame of my carport in case i got a bit heavy with what I was doing so if it slipped forward off the centre stand it wasn't going to fall over and get damaged.

Fitting is a bit of a pain as you have to get the rubbers lined up in the drive to fit the wheel properly. Just wiggle it about again and you will get there.

Refitting everything is just a reverse of taking it apart. Be sure when you slide the bottom mount of the pannier frame back in that the washers are on the outside of the frame and not inside as it can happen. You should be able to get in with a long thin screwdriver or lever of some kind to help you here.

Doing it this way instead of following the manual, means you don't have to start mucking about taking the electrics apart or removing the panniers etc. I did mine last time in just about an hour to remove and much the same to refit.

Feel the pain and do it yourself m8. you will enjoy the experience. I did and I took the front wheel of at the same time and got new tyres fitted front and rear. You should have seen the way I had the bike strapped up to the carport.

Hope this helps m8 and makes life a little easier for you.:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Motorcycle jack

Has anyone used a motorcycle jack under a 96 Goldwing 1500SE. I havn't as yet figured out how it will work. Put jack under engine and back is too heavy. put it under center stand and engine and front is too heavy. I bought a Black Widow Jack. I'm thinking I wasted my money!

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Dirtman ... For My 85 1200 Ltd I Made A Wooden Jig That Lays On The Jack And Is Narrow Enough To Lay In Between The Pipes ... The There Is Anothe Piece That I Place Towards The Front Of The Jig ... Then I Just Move The Jack And Jig Till I Get A Level Lift On The Bike ... I Don't Know If This Expains What I Made But It Works For Me ... Happy Trails ...
... P.s. After Lifting I Strap The Bike Down To Avoid Tipping ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts