Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new bike. I just came off a K1200LT and loved it but always had a desire for a new Goldwing. I am looking at the non ABS package with Nav and comfort. Price point thing. The K1200LT had ABS. How much will I miss that is a question? Also as far as twisty riding the LT was great. How does the Goldwing do on twisties and city driving? Also comparing it to a 09 HD Ultra Glide but I like the quality and looks of the Goldwing better. Any thoughts or people that have owned both or all three would be helpful. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF hifiman. sorry i can't offer any advice on the wing vs bmw vs harly and which is best is up to you

·
Registered
405 Posts
Welcome; as buzzard above, I cannot offer any comparsion of the 3 bikes you mention. I can however say that the '08 wing I have (non-abs) handles better in the twisties than the Honda VTX 1300 cruiser I previously owned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The best I can offer is a comparison between a Harley Springer with loaded saddlebags and top case, the Goldwing unloaded, and a BMW GS1150.

I've ridden the Springer on some mountain roads in Arkansas and on some local twisty roads. With the floorboards and suspension on it I can ride at about 5, at times 10 mph above the limit on the curves before I worry a little about either a floorboard touching, or my swinging wide on the turn. I still have a lot of fun, but my friend on his BMW 1200GT will be way ahead of me (though he also is more of a speed demon than I am).

Riding a 2008 Goldwing on the same local twisty roads I feel that I have a lot more control on the turns (and I'm being a little careful still since I want to give the tires time to wear in a little). I feel a lot more comfortable really leaning into the turns than I do on the Springer. I will also say that I've ridden an 09 Ultra on demo days and feel that it might handle a little better than my Springer, but I would still be careful with it on turns.

I've ridden the BMW GS on some twisty canyon roads and feel it handles well, but it was a little top heavy so I also didn't feel as comfortable really leaning into turns.

As far as quality goes, it all depends on what you want. I feel like the Ultra is more "solid", but solid is a double edge sword. The body, fenders and so on are metal versus the ABS plastic of the Goldwing. When riding the Harley it's not rattling on acceleration, plus crosswinds aren't as harsh because the wind has space to go through the side of the bike. However, all the metal on the Harley makes it, I think, a little more top heavy so solid comes at a cost.

The Goldwing will rattle in the front as I accelerate most of the time. Most likely it's the windshield or front fender I imagine. The solid side panels block wind travel so side winds push me a bit more than the Springer. However, when I've had a windshield on my Sportster it felt like the wind was really catching the windshield and pushing me around, whereas I don't feel that on the Goldwing for some reason.

Heat is something I'm still trying to figure out. I feel a bit of heat on the front of my legs. I have the heat vents closed, so I'm not sure if that heat is just the sun beating down on my legs since my legs are higher up riding on pegs versus forward floorboards, or if some heat is still coming out of the closed vents. That said, though, I do get some heat on my inner thighs on my Springer (though nowhere near the blistering heat some claim) whereas I've not felt that on the Goldwing.

So, that's as much as I can provide in comparison. There are a few little things I wish my Goldwing had that the Ultra does have, but nothing that big. I'm pretty happy with my choice and do think I got the motorcycle that provides the best mix of comfort for my wife on the back and control for me riding.

One bad thing is that the MPG on my Goldwing is terrible compared to my Springer, even compared to breakin on the Springer, and even with the race tuner I have on it that improves performance but lowers MPG. I hope that improves a little on the Goldwing since I'd like to not have to hunt down a gas station all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
goldwing purchase?

Hifiman,

I have an 08 wing w/ all extras except airbag. I wanted it fully loaded,but now, i wish I would have not gotten the navigation.
The reason is I could get a aftermarket w/ live accounts of traffic and newest streets etc. I have seen about others wanting current updates for production nav, but havent seen any responses about it happening..
Mike Goodman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys I am a new to this forum. I have been riding 1990 goldwing for last 8 years and before that I had 1984 goldwing. both bike are good and different rides feeling.I am in a market to up grade from my 1990 to 2004 goldwiing with app.28000 km on the clock.

Is any one there can give me any advice what to look for before I make a deal.

Will appreciate any information:

Alex Malik

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had a 1000, 1200, 1500 and now an 1800. The 1500 was a wonderful 'go down the highway' bike. The 1800 is a lot more like a sports bike. It feel much better on twisties than the 1500.

As far as problems, I have had none since '01 and 30k miles at least until this past weekend when the cruise control started cutting out.

You certainly will not be disappointed in the 1800.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had a 1000, 1200, 1500 and now an 1800. The 1500 was a wonderful 'go down the highway' bike. The 1800 is a lot more like a sports bike. It feel much better on twisties than the 1500.

As far as problems, I have had none since '01 and 30k miles at least until this past weekend when the cruise control started cutting out.

You certainly will not be disappointed in the 1800.
I really appreciated the reply to put me on ease I went a head and trader my 1500. I will pick my 1800 tomorrow and hopefully will enjoy the bike. I think I will try to go to Amercade,which is first weak of June if I am not mistaken

·
Registered
19 Posts
Navigation update

Hifiman,

I have an 08 wing w/ all extras except airbag. I wanted it fully loaded,but now, i wish I would have not gotten the navigation.
The reason is I could get a aftermarket w/ live accounts of traffic and newest streets etc. I have seen about others wanting current updates for production nav, but havent seen any responses about it happening..
Mike Goodman
Mike, I can update the 2008 Goldwing navigation maps can be updated with the City Navigator 2009 maps. If yo are interested I can assist in doing this for about $75 which is far less that what Honda wants to charge. Send me an email of PM me if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Americade is the week of June 7th thru the 12th this year. Book rooms earley for best choice and availability. I'm already booked for the week. I don't think you'lle disappointed in your new ride. I started with a 1200 then a 1500 and now my 1880. All were great bikes Only 3k on the 1800 so still getting used to it,10k on the 1200 40k on the 1500,

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hifiman, your LT and the GL will run about neck and neck in the sportiness/handling department. The M/C magazine writers said the current 1800 (newer than '05 I think) are a tad better, but that's a subjective statement. I'd pick the GL but I AM a bit biased LOL. As for the ABS, I think you'd miss it. Goldwing binders are terrific, but the ABS is worth every penny to have. Be interesting to see where BMW goes with their flagship tourer once the LT is no longer; they are certainly trageted for the sport touring and sport market with their latest offerings of the 1300GT and the 1000RR.
Tralfaz, you can't actually compare a Springer, a GS and a Wing since they are three completely different types of bike. The springer gets it mileage out of less weight, and a torquey fairly large displacement v-twin. The heat you didn't feel on the Springer was because it is a unfaired cruise machine not a full Faired tourer. The Wings' fairing is a wind-tunnel tested piece of aerodynamics and is meant to isolate the rider and passenger from as much of the elments as possible. BTW, my '09 averages close to 50 mpg (Cdn) or about 42 US. That is comparable to a HD Ultra which weighs about the same, but the Ultra gives away a lot of agility and HP to the Wing. Would not even compare my old Roadking to a GL, again, too different.
Mike, there is as much difference in feel from the 1500 to the 1800 as there was from the 1200 to your 1500. Automotive comparison is like Cadillac Deville to STS to CTS4. Just keeps getting better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hifiman, welcome. i just traded an 08 Ultra Classic for my Goldwing. i loved my Harley for what it was, but this Wing is by far a superior touring bike. The wife & i ride about 18k miles a year, and this is much more comfy, and in the twisties....... it is awesome! The wife would have to stop every 1hr 15mins, for a break, on the wing if it's not for a bathroom break, we don't stop. Just ride, & ride, & ride.
Enjoy, & good luck, rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts