Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering making an offer of 500 dollars on a 1983 Goldwing. Here are some of the details.

message from lady selling it:

sorry I have no idea why it does not run. it was my husbands, I know he bought alot of parts for it and had different guys working on it but none of them were good with goldwings, it has been garage stored at a friends for the last 2.5 yrs, my husband was ill with cancer and could not persue fixing it and has since passed away, I really just want to get rid of it.

It was recently painted.

I have not seen it yet. Just a picture. My main worry is a major repair like a stator or something.

Can anyone help me here. I am looking for a small project. I am also looking for a place to work on it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello dschnarr and welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You are looking at a big project, rebuilding the cards, maybe cleaning out the gas tank, flushing out all the fluids, probably tires,stator might be bad, and she said
and had different guys working on it but none of them were good with goldwings
There is no telling what they did, If you can get it for a real cheap price, and you have time to work on it your self than it might be something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Glad you found us. I'm with Joe on this one. Sounds like a lot of work, but if you have the time, $$ and patience you could end up with a nice Wing. My biggest fears would be what others have done to it not knowing much about the Wing. I would see if she has any records of what was done to the bike and when. Take a look at it and make a determination from there. Maybe a project, may be a basket case.. You will know when you see it.

Good luck and let us know what you do..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If it isn't a long distance away, go have a first hand look at it. Some quick look details can be evident if there are deep rooted problems that could turn ugly for you. Oil leaks/seepage, wiriing hanging out, visible neglect (rust) that kind of thing. You could even stumble onto a diamond in the rough (a good thing).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am considering making an offer of 500 dollars on a 1983 Goldwing. Here are some of the details.

message from lady selling it:

sorry I have no idea why it does not run. it was my husbands, I know he bought alot of parts for it and had different guys working on it but none of them were good with goldwings, it has been garage stored at a friends for the last 2.5 yrs, my husband was ill with cancer and could not persue fixing it and has since passed away, I really just want to get rid of it.

It was recently painted.

I have not seen it yet. Just a picture. My main worry is a major repair like a stator or something.

Can anyone help me here. I am looking for a small project. I am also looking for a place to work on it.
Where are you based? There might be members here on the site that would help you get the bike up and running but we need to know where you are!! State and city..

Gary

·
Registered
33 Posts
It sound like a lot of work now but, you might be surprised the guys that worked on it might have done a good job. Think about it would you let some one that knows nothing work on your baby. $500.00 is not bad. A stator is $130.00 and gaskets are $100.00. Carb kits around $30.00 a carb. Still cheaper then new. And you can say you did the work on her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou

What an awesome forum. Quick replys and good heads up information. I think I will have a look at her and see if I am up for the journey. I live in Victoria B.C. I will look on line for a club up here. Any help is awesome. I will let you know what goes down after Visitng the Golden Wing.

D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts