Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the forum so hi all.

I am not in the markent for a new wing. 4 kids and a mortgage .. My last bike was a pc800. I am thinking of getting an older wing or a sport tour bike. I am buying used.

I found an older wing new me, an 86 1200. its go every kind of thing you can put on it. it seems in reasonable shape and appears to have had all maintanance done and everything works. the thing that is giving me pause is it has 95k miles on it. is that a lot of miles for that bike? I have heard of them going over 200k? but have never seen one with that many miles.

what do you think?
any thing I should be looking for? this would be my first wing. so I don't know much other than what I have read.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF rontopia, i have several friends with 1200 wings with more mlies on them than 100,000. if the po has taken care of it it should be fine. ask him when were the stator, rectifier, and timing belts replaced

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. I've never owned a 1200 but a lot of Goldwings, regardless of the model (1000,1200,1500 or 1800) have accumulated a lot more miles that the one you are looking at. The key is the regular maint and how it has been riden and cared for. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If it had proper care than the mileage is no big deal. Ask if the stator not starter has been replaced, if not, stay away from it unless you have an extra $1,000 to spend on a perair. Other than that if it looks good and not abused, I would say go for it. Unless you can find a good 1500 in the price range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys

so.. the stators are not good on the 86's? or is just on the 1200's as a whole? please explain.

if I take a volt meter with me and check the charge on the battery at idle what should it read? 13.8 or so is ok? what about at 2 or 3k rpms?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
all 1200's have had or will have a stator problem but what i would like to know is how long is the stator lasting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what exactly is the problem with the stator?

and whats the deal with honda.. several of there bikes have stator problems.. you would thing they would have fired that guy.. the early st's the pc800 and the 1200's all had stator problem! I would have been fired. im not sayin ... im just sayin...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts