Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any non-Honda oil filters that can be used on the 1800 Wing? On my '97 Valk, I have used OTC filters from Autozone for years. Someone crossed referenced the filters and just about everyone uses a non-Honda filter....
Anything like that for the 1800?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks!

Being new to this forum and being a new Goldwing owner, I was quite pleased with the responses. I plan on stopping by here regularly, for two whole days, and hope to meet some of you in person in the future. For now, I'm trying to learn the difference between my 97 Valk and my new 09 Wing. Two different beasts! I have a total of 150 miles on the Wing now...

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new Wing. Your just beginning to see what she can do. Enjoy the ride and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF bikerndiver, we get around to answering most all questions but not necessacarly in a timly manor. afterall we go riding too -)

·
Registered
405 Posts
A lot of people including myself use the super tech filter from walmart. They have a short and longer version. The longer version though having more filtering surface is harder to install without removing the front cowl. The short version is the same size as the stock Honda filter. The only concern with this filter is its orgin. They used to be made by Champion for walmart and were as good as filters costing 5 times as much. I have read that Walmart may now have contracted to have them made in Mexico and the quality may not be as good. I am going to look close at the package when next in Wallyworld and may be changing brands unless research proves the quality is the same.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It always get's me, people can spend $20,000 + on a motorcycle and want to save a few dollars on one of the most important parts of the bike, the oil filter. I buy them 10 at a time, $72.50 for 10 thats only $7.25 each.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7277&str=4

Home > GL1800 Goldwing Filters > HO-8597650x10
Honda oil filter 10 Pack for the Rune NRX1800, ST1300, VTX1800, VTX1300, FURY, GL1800, VT750 AND NOW FITS GL1500 Goldwing and Valkyrie FREE SHIPPING, 15410-MFJ-D01 Updated part number as of 04-18-07.
10 Oil Filter Value PAck When only the best will do, replace your filters with Honda OEM filters! NOW REPLACES THE OLD PART NUMBER 15410-MM9-013 & 15410-MCJ-003
Part #: HO-8597650x10

Price: $72.50

·
Registered
405 Posts
It always get's me, people can spend $20,000 + on a motorcycle and want to save a few dollars on one of the most important parts of the bike, the oil filter. I buy them 10 at a time, $72.50 for 10 thats only $7.25 each.

Honda oil filter 10 Pack for the Rune NRX1800, ST1300, VTX1800, VTX1300, FURY, GL1800, VT750 AND NOW FITS GL1500 Goldwing and Valkyrie FREE SHIPPING, 15410-MFJ-D01 Updated part number as of 04-18-07.
10 Oil Filter Value PAck When only the best will do, replace your filters with Honda OEM filters! NOW REPLACES THE OLD PART NUMBER 15410-MM9-013 & 15410-MCJ-003

Hi Joe, why spend $7.25 on something which sells for $2.50? That is what gets me. But, like I said the quality may not be the same now if Champion is not making it. BTW I bought my wing new and gave a lot less than $20k+ for it (over $3,000 less). I shopped for a year before I bought it. Do you have any independent data on comparsions of the filters back when the ST filter was for sure made by Champion?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Joe in calif, why would you want to pay more for a oil filter that doesen't filter as good as another filter that you can buy for less? Paying more for somethings doesen't always get you a better product! Thats my opinion so take it for what its worth!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The thing to remember is cost is a relative thing; buyer responsibility is what counts. I always err on the side of caution where things like engine life (oil, filters), my life (tyres, brakes, suspension parts), goes. Do your homework before you buy! That $7-8 filter might look pretty frugal if it saves the heart of your beastie, and giving up that last 1000 miles out of the front/rear doughnut should you end up in a downpour on a marginal skin (or some tar-hole in a cage turns left in front of you). Most of us ride motorcycles (ok, we also love riding) because they have much sharper control characteristics than Oscar and Minnie Grope's belchfire Buick, but that's only if we look after them properly first. Those of you with new bikes remember Honda (like all OEM's) will look for excuses to refuse warranty claims from using non-approved items. The days of unquestioned and extended freebie coverage are long gone, why risk it? My new Wing was $26K Cdn. I'm not going to jeopardise something as expensive as an engine over $3-4 for an oil filter.:eek:

·
Registered
405 Posts
The thing to remember is cost is a relative thing; buyer responsibility is what counts. I always err on the side of caution where things like engine life (oil, filters), my life (tyres, brakes, suspension parts), goes. Do your homework before you buy! That $7-8 filter might look pretty frugal if it saves the heart of your beastie, and giving up that last 1000 miles out of the front/rear doughnut should you end up in a downpour on a marginal skin (or some tar-hole in a cage turns left in front of you). Most of us ride motorcycles (ok, we also love riding) because they have much sharper control characteristics than Oscar and Minnie Grope's belchfire Buick, but that's only if we look after them properly first. Those of you with new bikes remember Honda (like all OEM's) will look for excuses to refuse warranty claims from using non-approved items. The days of unquestioned and extended freebie coverage are long gone, why risk it? My new Wing was $26K Cdn. I'm not going to jeopardise something as expensive as an engine over $3-4 for an oil filter.:eek:
I agree that cost is relative. Therefore the ST filter may be as good or better than the OEM; or it might be worse. I have not seen any research lately but I know that research (unbiased) in the past indicated that it was just as good. But are you indicating that Honda is or is leaning toward requiring use of their filter to honor warranty. I'm no attorney but have to believe that this would be illegal in the U.S (monopoly). I do however believe they would do so if they could get away with it. Afterwards each auto manufactuer would end up requiring their brand only. BTW, I wonder if Honda makes their own filter? And, if someone else makes it, like Champion, for example, could it be the same filter that Champion makes for Walmart and just stamps "ST" on it? Probably not but just sayin'......... After all of this has been said you are right that you can't go wrong, as far as warranty, by using the OEM but I guess I just hate having Honda sell me a filter at exaggerated cost when I know its not worth it. I believe my bike was worth every penny I paid for it or else I wouldn't have wrote the check but the filter they sell is not worth what they charge. I buy a lot of "things" but I always shop.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm no legal beagle either Ron. But remember the warranty on our machines is labeled as a "limited" warranty just as all manufacturers warranties are. Remember the 1200 stator issues? Honda went good for the whole enchalada on the first failure, then the second they supplied only the stator and you/I were on the hook for the install (I know I rode a 1200 for 167,00 miles and 3 stators). If it went after that you were totally on your own; thanks for nothing Big Red. That caveat of "limited" gives them the right of refusal for some of the piddliest things you can imagine. All I'm saying is why leave yourself vulnerable? If there are better products available at a lower cost go for it! Just don't ever base your purchases on cost (which I'm sure you wouldn't) simply because it can come back and bite you in the proverbial a$$.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
filters

I use Fram filters from Checker auto.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
filter KN

Robert I like the sound of that K&N filter w the hex nut on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMO, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that Honda branded oil filter is manufactured by Honda, as some have surmised. Several Honda branded products are made by others who already know what they're doing in their own line of business and Honda simply uses those products and gets the OEM to label (brand) it to spec. Spray Polish, Hondabrite Cleaner, Oil, Filters, etc.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Honda doesn't make their own filters (air or oil), nor do they make their own lubricants. They are outsourced to other suppliers under tender and volume quotas, just like most other companies. AS long as you stay at or above the recommended specs for oil and filters there is no issues, just don't go below it. I'm giving the Amsoil oil and filter a definite go right away, and I'll let the proof be in the pudding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OIL Filter

Hi mate my ride is a 95 goldwing it cost me a lot of money why would try a save a few buck,s on your filter ONLY USE the filter that HONDA say to use as i change my oil with filter every 3,000klm,s with out fail as soon as it go,s a bit dark i drop it new oil an filter dont risk your pride an joy spend a few extra, dollars an get the right filter.???:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts