Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 GL1200 that sat over the winter. I started it up and the only way I can keep it running is to keep the choke on. I removed the intake and carb assembly and removed and blew out the main and pilot jets with air. I put it back together hoping it would run right but no luck. I read on a forum one needs to remove and disassemble each carb and clean. It doesn't seem to me there would be anything else to clean that you can't access from the bowl of the carbs. Any advice????

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. Try running about 1/2 a can of Seafoam, on a full tank, through it. That should correct the problem. The gas we buy today doesn't last in storage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did put seafoam and fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank before I removed the carbs. By now the gas is 2 years old. Maybe I need to drain the tank and start with fresh gas. I do have the carb, intake ass. pulled off again and would like to know if they can be cleaned any better fully disassembled off the intake or not. I'm kind of thinking not.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
They can be cleaned better fully disassembled and all the rubber removed, but they need to be "boiled out" to get all the passages cleaned correctly. The process uses a much stronger cleaning solution than what comes in a spray can.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi ajbay, you need to remove the pilot jets completely and the air screws completely. the pilot jets need to have a small piece of wire run through them to be assured they are clean, also an aerosol can of carb cleaner would be helpful. be sure you can see through them. also spray carb cleaner through the pilot hole passages til you see carb cleaner coming from the air screw passage way. compressed air also helps. just be sure the pilot jet circuit passage ways are clear from float bowl to intake side of carb bodys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not exactly sure if I'm posting this right but will try. I removed the carb and intake ass. twice now. The last time, I completely disassembled the carbs, soaked them for a day each in a gallon of carb cleaner, and blew them out with compressed air. I drained the old gas out of the tank and made sure the fuel pump was working. After this I took it for a short ride. The bike runs better, but still seems to be starving for fuel as it runs better with the choke slightly on. It will however idle now without the choke on but seems to stumble some, almost like a miss. I did also install new plugs. I have heard someone say you need to send the carbs in to someone and have them cooked clean. Has anyone had this done and by whom? The only thing I didn't do because of the location in the throat of the carbs, was to run something through the four tiny holes located by the throttle plate. Is there a chance this is where my problem is coming from? Thanks for any help

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
You've done a lot of good things so far. Did you re-sync the carbs after they were redone? The 1200's were notorious for the carb slides sticking and that could cause some stumbling. I used to put a bottle of Bardahl Injectrkleen about every 4th tank of fuel and never had the problem. It is possible that the linkage on your choke is out of sorts a bit too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts