Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 08 Goldwing from a Harley dealer my insurance wants to know the model . I haven't heard back from my saleman yet(I am not sure he knows) and I am wondering if there is a way to tell other wise.

Pete

·
Registered
145 Posts
You need the VIN ... there are several different models of the 08 Goldwing which is specified by its VIN.

GL1800B8 GOLDWING(**) - 1832cc
GL1800BM8 GOLDWING(**) - 1832cc
GL1800HPN8 GOLDWING(**) - 1832cc
GL1800HPNA8 GLDWNG ABS** - 1832cc
GL1800HPNAM8 GW ABS(**) - 1832cc
GL1800HPNM8 GOLDWING(**) - 1832cc
GL1800P8 GOLDWING - 1832cc
GL1800PM8 GOLDWING - 1832cc

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just a confused cause my vin starts out 1hfsc I don't want to post the whole vin# does this make since?? Thanks
Pete

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
The dealership looks like Gulf Coast Harley Davidson in New Port Richey.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trike Lady yes that is were it is.
We gave the vin to the insurance and they asked for the model #
I'll hear from the salesman tomorrow should find out more then. I just want to get this deal done to bad, I guess I'll have to wait.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check with a Honda dealer, they should be able to give you a model #by the vin & that should satisfy the insurance company.
Some Insurance agents know nothing about Motorcycles.
If you don't have the exact info to put in all the spaces on the computer screen they are lost.
Might be better off with a motorcycle friendly insurance agent, or company.
I was going to go with a seperate policy for my bikes, but the agent we have our car ins through is a Bike Rider, and gave us a good rate on both bikes. Because of our driving history and length of time with them we got another discount.
That won't work for everyone but it did for me.
Rusty

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Any American Honda dealer can get you that info from the VIN by doing a unit lookup/owner information search on the Honda dealer website. The first 3 characters represent the country of manufacture, in your case (1) USA; second character (H) Honda, manufacturer; third vehicle type (F) = motorcycle. The 4th through 8th characters represent the model of the bike should read SC(yours)--- thus identifying the particular model. Ninth character is a check digit to make sure no other vehicle matches yours. Tenth is the year of manufacture (8, as in yours) refers to 2008; prior to '01 starts with the letter "Y" and decends to "A" in 1980. Note: at no time will the letter "o" upper or lower case appear on a VIN, it will always be a '0' (zero).

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
The way the vin number breaks downs: 1HFSC47*X7A******

1HF=USA manufactured
S=Street bike
C=900CC and greater
47=GL1800
*=F (base model)
*=G (comfort model)
*=H (comfort, nav model)
*=L (comfort, nav, ABS model)
X=check digit
7=year (in this case its a 2007)
A=Ohio assembly plant
000000= serial number

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
model#

Thanks for all your help Got the insurance binder and now waiting for the bank. We are doing everything electronic with the docs so now Its a wait until that is done.
The dealer is a hour away and my wife doesn't want to drive in the dark so its looking like another day of waiting. It is driving me crazy but I guess I'll have to deal with it . Thanks again for all the help, I am really enjoying this form .
Pete

·
Registered
296 Posts
The way the vin number breaks downs: 1HFSC47*X7A******

1HF=USA manufactured
S=Street bike
C=900CC and greater
47=GL1800
*=F (base model)
*=G (comfort model)
*=H (comfort, nav model)
*=L (comfort, nav, ABS model)
X=check digit
7=year (in this case its a 2007)
A=Ohio assembly plant
000000= serial number
This forum, no, you guys totally amaze me. I have been riding since 1957. Have had 4 goldwings. But I have absolutely no knowledge about motorcycles compared to you all. I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and information available on this forum. Take this as I meant it. I am totally humbled, totally amazed, absolutely astounded by you all. Thank you whoever started this forum and thank you for all the guys (and trike lady) that have shared their incomparable knowledge about the goldwing with us "know nothings". I stand at the alter of adoration.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
This forum, no, you guys totally amaze me. I have been riding since 1957. Have had 4 goldwings. But I have absolutely no knowledge about motorcycles compared to you all. I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and information available on this forum. Take this as I meant it. I am totally humbled, totally amazed, absolutely astounded by you all. Thank you whoever started this forum and thank you for all the guys (and trike lady) that have shared their incomparable knowledge about the goldwing with us "know nothings". I stand at the alter of adoration.
I've been riding for 45 years and now on my 8th Goldwing. I learn something new everytime I log-on to one of the Goldwing message boards. Some peoples knowledge will always continue to amaze me.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
There's lots of ways to get a manual. However, owners manuals aren't overly pricey, I'm surprised the 'dealer' didn't mention he could get you one in amatter of days, even if he charged you for it.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Enjoy your new toy. :)

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I never understood what is so difficult about leaving the original manuals with a Goldwing when it's sold or traded.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know I have always left the manuals in the the vehicles that I have own .My wife saves everything I even may have some 8 track player manuals (lol)
Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.