Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in your veiw on the load that a touring bike can carry cosidering the size of a wing. According to the handbook the 1200 wing can carry 172kg. It also states that the top box and each side bag can carry 9kg each. So if you take 27kg that you can carry as personal loading, the 2 people on the bike need to be 72kg each. Thats not happening. Why is it that such a large bike is surpose to carry so little. I know there is no answer to this but I am interested in your thoughts on this. Can the newer wings carry more going by their handbooks. Eric

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I am interested in your veiw on the load that a touring bike can carry cosidering the size of a wing. According to the handbook the 1200 wing can carry 172kg. It also states that the top box and each side bag can carry 9kg each. So if you take 27kg that you can carry as personal loading, the 2 people on the bike need to be 72kg each. Thats not happening. Why is it that such a large bike is surpose to carry so little. I know there is no answer to this but I am interested in your thoughts on this. Can the newer wings carry more going by their handbooks. Eric
Eric, you slay me. Lets start this by putting in about 42 lbs of air in the tires. Now "lbs" is pounds per square inch. I don't know what that is in kg's or hecto meters or spritzes, but lets assume its 42 something. If you and your better half get on the bike with everything you need for your trip and the tires aren't flat and can roll, then you are good to go. I guess you can overload one of these things but it would take a heapen bunch of grams to do it. I have seen the Highway Patrol pull 18 wheelers over to weigh them but I have never seen them weighing a Goldwing. Thats why these bikes have all those nooks and crannies, to stick stuff into them. As long as you ain't leapin ditches or trying to take 45 mph( thats miles per hour) turns at 85 mph ( don't know what that would be in millimeters per square hecto gram), you should be OK.
I guess its all in what your raised with but....I wish somebody would dig up the jerk that invented this metric junk and hang him high. When we had 9/16 and 1/2 inch tools we put man on the moon. Now that we have this metric crap, we can't get out of earth orbit. Geeze...
Anyway, just load 'er up and get on down the road.. Go fast too cause the faster you go, the lighter it will become. If the front wheel comes off the ground when you load her up, add bricks to the fender. So, let 'er rip down-under.Thats my 2 hecto euros worth of sage advice.:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If Erika and I went by the load specs we would be way over!! Dont worry about it too Much Eric you will be fine!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Like Larry, at 250lbs (according to the doctors crooked scale!) I can't saddle up without overloading the bike! I personally think the weight restrictions on the bags is better served to proted the plastic from breaking. The bike itself...well, I've seen some really overloaded wings out there, and I'm not just refering to cargo. Most tire "loads" are taxed by the bike itself when fitted, let alone adding the rider and passenger. Take the Dunlop E3 for a 1500, the load rating of the rear tire is 992, the bike exceeds 800, how does this work out with a rider, passenger and gear? God forbid you're pulling a trailer! I specifically asked a Dunlop rep about this very scenerio, even when using the total load formula (front load + rear load rating) all he could do is quote the specs, he even said that if they see a bike with a trailer (or just a hitch), its automatically considered overloaded. Not my intention to just thumb my nose at the manufacturers, but I think they set the numbers to cover the legalities. As referred to above, technically I overload the bike alone, and really exceed with the wife. I load the bike reasonably and throw the big stuff in the trailer (one ride I even loaded her power chair in the trailer!), I know my tires are in good shape and I check air pressures regularly. my 2 cents:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
what you may want to invest in are the progressive air shocks for your 1200 wing so you are not bottoming out fully loaded

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dreamweaver: I can help out with the kgs- lbs. It's 380lbs total weight. And 58lbs in the bags. I'm not bad with the mph-kph because most of my cars and bikes are in mph. And that is because they are made before we went to kph in 1972. The conversion I'm not up with is the temp c-f. I know that 3 or 4c is cold but I don't know what that is in f. because they changed that in 1966. I remember the temps that we get a lot of here which is in the 60-110f. Most times I try to use the measurement that you are use to, I am sorry in this case I took the measurement straight out of the handbook. But it does puzzle me why you build a big touring bike and then recommend a total weight of 380lbs. Eric

·
Registered
108 Posts
Eric the way I understand it is your tires have alot to do with the load carring capacity of your bike. You take the maxim load rating of front & rear tires per your brand of tires and add them together to come up with maxim capacity. Subtract your bikes weight from this and the remainder would be the amount you, your passenger, & load capacity could be at max tire pressure. I read this somewhere when looking for replacement tires for my old bike but can't remember where. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peppyome1955: If it's the weight on the tires, I can understand how they get that limit. I didn't say this [ A ct.] would make sense. But it would take more than that for me to change sides. Eric

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Eric, on my previous 1500 and current 1800 bikes I'm able to carry enough clothing for myself and my daughter for 1 week. Including stuff like hairdryer (not for me), raingear, jackets, camera, hats, bike cover, extra shoes/boots, sweatshirts, air pump, bike cleaner, quart of oil and clean up rags. OH, yea and a roll of TP just in case. So as you can see, the Wing will hold a lot of "stuff".

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
According to my book, the load capacity of my '09 is 419# (just about 200kg). I'm 200#, my wife is 110# so that leaves 109# left. fuel is 50# of that so that leaves about 60# for gear, 20# in each bag and the trunk and that's listed capacity. Not hard at all to go over that if I let my Mrs have her way with the 'stuff'.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Larryinseattle: You will just have to pack lightly, you still have 19lbs going by Budoka. If we were to say I am 180lbs and Vanessa's 160lbs,that would be 340lbs. Following my own advice to pack lightly that gives me 40lbs. But there is another way, both of us could loose 10lbs each and that would give 60lbs to pack and no problem. If I get into trouble with that solution, I could always buy the 1800 wing with 419lbs and no problem. I like the idea of losing 10lbs each then I can say riding my wing is a healthy option. Eric

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Not suggesting anything, but bush pilots get very creative with 'weight and balance' all the time. If they didn't there'd be a lot of guys and stuff stranded in the boonies. Just so there's no misunderstanding, I fly from paved only and within limits as per POH, density altitudes, and crosswind components. Flying the other "Wing" I've been known to er, get creative. And everybody knows that things like riding gear and helmets etc don't factor into the equation;)

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Not suggesting anything, but bush pilots get very creative with 'weight and balance' all the time. If they didn't there'd be a lot of guys and stuff stranded in the boonies.
That reminds me of some of the stories the guys in our area tell when the come back from fishing in Canada. You're right "Creative" is good word.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Very cold morning, 2am. Picked up my nephew on my Wing and had to travel ten miles distance. I'm 300lbs, he's "larger". I considered this an emergency situation. I was not comfortable over-loading the Wing; however, the bike handled the load and the ride proved uneventfull. Oh, never try to find a cab in Vero Beach, FL after 12am, there's none to be had. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts