Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2007 Goldwing with ABS and Navi. The bike had a few known issues when I bought it (ABS issue that was easily resolved) and an LCD display that was starting to depixalate. I found a replacement screen on Ebay from German Audio Tech out of Long Beach CA. I ordered the part with a lot of apprehension and with some instructive posts from this sight I was able to replace it and save over $1000 over ordering the factory gauge cluster (God knows if it's still available) . As a disclaimer I have to admit I have some experience with motorcycle repair, but I think it's fair to say that this repair can be done by anyone with some patience, basic hand tools and a steady enough hand to change a watch battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone have an idea what causes these screens to go bad? Knock on wood I have yet to have one go bad on my 1500s, or 1800s. I suspect it is too much time spent in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Just a caution I picked up on another site - some of the displays being shipped from China are apparently a slight varaiation of the correct one for these bikes and installing them can cause a transistor to fry on the controller board. Here's a rather lengthy thread with info: LCD Screen Replacement - Now Blank

Thankfully when my brother and I changed ours we got the right ones and the whole procedure was uneventful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a caution I picked up on another site - some of the displays being shipped from China are apparently a slight varaiation of the correct one for these bikes and installing them can cause a transistor to fry on the controller board. Here's a rather lengthy thread with info: LCD Screen Replacement - Now Blank

Thankfully when my brother and I changed ours we got the right ones and the whole procedure was uneventful.
Do you have a link to the correct LCD?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
No, but this thread has some useful info and a couple of links to vendors: 2012 GL1800 lCD screen problem. I believe I bought the one linked from aliExpress, but in the thread I linked earlier some folks are saying that vendors are sometimes sending the wrong, or improperly labeled units, which totally sucks. It sounds like clipping one of the wires in the ribbon cable will prevent the problem. Probably the safest thing to do no matter what one receives.

Reactions: JKWinger and Auburn

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2007 Goldwing with ABS and Navi. The bike had a few known issues when I bought it (ABS issue that was easily resolved) and an LCD display that was starting to depixalate. I found a replacement screen on Ebay from German Audio Tech out of Long Beach CA. I ordered the part with a lot of apprehension and with some instructive posts from this sight I was able to replace it and save over $1000 over ordering the factory gauge cluster (God knows if it's still available) . As a disclaimer I have to admit I have some experience with motorcycle repair, but I think it's fair to say that this repair can be done by anyone with some patience, basic hand tools and a steady enough hand to change a watch battery.
Do you have the ebay link where you ordered your screen?

·
Administrator
29,490 Posts
Do you have the ebay link where you ordered your screen?
That Original poster has not been on since he posted this info. If you are interested and wish to chance it, I would say do a search on Ebay.

Also for everyone's knowledge this thread will be closed for further comment due to suspect info.

Reactions: trike lady
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.