Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best engine oil to use on a 82 gl1100? whats the most reliable?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
we can tell you what brand we use, me 10w40 castrol for motorcycles. but best brand i cannot answer

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
When I had a 74 Yamaha TX500 I used Castrol as well. When I went to touring bikes I used Golden Spectro in my 86 Kawaski Voyager and Honda synthetic blend in my 1998 GL1500 and now in my 2009 GL1800. Goldwing engines are pretty forgiving, so any brand oil that meets motorcycle specifications should work. I also change the filter with every oil change. Ride safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i use castrol in my cars and trucks so i believe i might try that, i just wanted to see if anyone knew of a kind that has proven itself over time. thanks alot guys :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used Castrol GTX for years with no ill effects. Was told recently that this may not be a good idea so sent Castrol an email to see if GTX meets the JASO-MA spec. This is my second gl1100 and have been told that oils have changed, will see what Castrol says and if its bad will let you know Nick

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I have used Castrol GTX for years with no ill effects. Was told recently that this may not be a good idea so sent Castrol an email to see if GTX meets the JASO-MA spec. This is my second gl1100 and have been told that oils have changed, will see what Castrol says and if its bad will let you know Nick
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Where do you call home. Enjoy the forum and ride safe..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Home is Daybrook, WV, about 15 air miles west of Morgantown

Talked to Castrol yesterday. Castrol GTX is NOT recommended for "wet clutch" motorcycles. Castrol makes Power 1 GPS 4T for motorcycleSince I needed some NOW for a water pump change I bought Valvoline Motorcycle 10 w 40 from a local Advance Auto Parts store. It too meets JASO-MA spec (for bikes). guess I'll have to order some Castrol on line. I trust them and have used their products for years. Nick

·
Registered
129 Posts
LiquiMoly is the best oil that can be used in gasoline and modern diesel engines. None of the others and even that purple crap can come close to it. They have full synthetic but their part synthetic(10W-40) is the way to go. I have been using it for more than a year and it did nothing to the wet clutch.
NAPA Auto Part has the best price, somewhere around $25 for a 5L bottle.

Here's the link for some of you who don't have NAPA Auto Parts close by:
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/ind...-14AE-DE11-93DB-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's a pretty bold statement to make "LiquiMoly is the best oil that can be used in gasoline and modern diesel engines. " all oil companies spend a fortune on research and I really doubt anyone can make such a definative statement. My father in law worked in the oil industry for 40+ years and he could not make such a statement and he was in charge of the Motor vehicle engine oil research labs for France petroleum. I don't doubt liquimoly is a good oil, but the best!!:rolleyes: Ultimately any oil that meets honda standards will be a good oil, just stick with the more well known brands for added security..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ultimately any oil that meets honda standards will be a good oil, just stick with the more well known brands for added security..
Just to set the facts straight, I am not associated with LiquiMoly and gain nothing by endorsing their product. You can use any, as you call it
"well known" brand. Well known becomes because that's what you see on the shelves and what the US manufactures are pushing on you.

Go Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche service dept. and talk to their senior mechanics, or better yet, an independent service that strictly works on German vehicles and see what they have to say. And by the way, 40+ years of being in charge of oil research is totally irrelevant. Being so cheap, French were probably trying to convert their french fries oil for other uses.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Play nice guys. I didn't mean to start an argument. I'll most likely stick to the valvoline as its readily available in my area.

Everyone has an opinion. Stand by yours if you must BUT respect the others.

Nick in WV

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't worry Nick, Astor's just yanking my chain!! It's all done in the best possible taste!!! :)
In the light of the most perfect ride, I would never, ever, yank or be rude to my gunslinger !

(only Mon-Fri before happy hour)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shell Rotunda 15w40

For the past several years I have used the Shell Rotunda 15 w 40. I think its called Rotunda , could be wrong on that. This is supposed to be a "General Purpose" oil that is also recomended in Desiel Engines. I believe it is stated as having additional Zinc and other friction modifiers in it but is cheaper than synthetic and has never caused any clutch issues on my bikes. I have used it in a 76 Wing, 78 Wing, and 90 Wing without failure or issue. I also ran it 300 miles in a V-Twin refresh as part fo the break in process. Re-did the top end on a 88 inch Evo motor and used cheap 10w30 for initial seating and valve adjusting. After 4 hours of runing and adjusting without load I changed oil and filter and run the Shell 15w40 and rode locally for about 300 miles for additional break in and to seat the rings. After that I went to 20w50 V-twin oil for awhile and eventually switched to synthetic. That bike had a dry cluth so no issues there. I usually find this stuff at the parts store, hard to find in wally world. I like it and a lot of older wingers tell me they have been using for many many years.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
what is the best engine oil to use on a 82 gl1100? whats the most reliable?
MOTUL MA2 10/40 is highly recommended for GL1100 with HIFLO FILTRO HF401 Oil Filter. This is in my 81 GL1100 that is reconditioned "Top Down" all to Original spec"s. Do research on these products. Resonable price for #1 product. There are other Great products but this is my choice.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
For the past several years I have used the Shell Rotunda 15 w 40. I think its called Rotunda , could be wrong on that. --------
It is actually Shell Rotella T 15w40 for diesel engines, and this oil does meet the JASO-MA spec. for use in motorcycles with wet clutches. I used this oil in my Kawasaki Voyager XII, as it is highly recommended for this bike by many, many members of the American Voyager Association.

I now continue to use this in my 2003 Goldwing. It is available at my local Wally World and Meijer for around $13 a gallon. The bike is completely happy with this oil, no ill effects.

Actually my friends Harley Tri-Glide manual says to use Screaming Eagle oil, but if not available use a good Diesel oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts