Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Do any of you get on your Goldwing via the footpeg. I.E. like a stirrup? Wondering what the weight capacity is on a 2019 model?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi,
Do any of you get on your Goldwing via the footpeg. I.E. like a stirrup? Wondering what the weight capacity is on a 2019 model?
Thanks,
Bob
Yes, I get on my 2005 that way all the time with or without the sidestand down. Oh! but when it is not down, of course I have it on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
On Honda OEM parts diagrams for the 2019, Honda does not refer to it as a foot peg or foot rest. Honda calls it a "step" that might give a hint for it's intended use. I have used the one on my '03 as a step and it now has 115k on it and I weigh 240lbs, no failure as of yet.

Edit: Back in the day, everyone stood with all their weight on left peg of any given motorcycle to kick start it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Some of the plates the foot peg mounts to have been known to break, luck of the draw I suppose, good excuse to buy the chrome steel units.

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
I've never known a passenger that did not use the rear peg or board as a step. Should be no different for a rider.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
Been using drivers pegs and passengers boards for years, even when I weighed 350lbs. Never a failure. Always step on the passenger's board with my left foot and lift my right foot over the seat with our trike. Also when my butt needs a break riding down the road, I stand up on the driver's pegs to get some relief and air to the butt.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Pegs, Steps, Stirrups, Foot Rests, It doesn't matter what we call them. But like it was said before, depending on how the sidestand is made for certain bikes, the extra weight can bend their brackets or stems to where they lean the bike over at more of an angle and or cause the sidestand to wobble like it is loose as you move it up or down.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
-------------- bend their brackets or stems to where they lean the bike over at more of an angle and or cause the sidestand to wobble like it is loose as you move it up or down.
I have seen 2 side stands that have been replaced because of wobble and/or excessive play. Both showed material worn away in an arced/circular pattern from grinding away from sand and road grime. They are a pivot point and need to kept lubricated and cleaned of grit on a regular base's. See no reason they would wear from adding more weight to the 900lbs they are already supporting and seen no sign of anything being bent. Just my observations.:hmmm:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been using the pegs to get on my bikes for a long time. CM250, CB750, GL1100. I used to worry about the side stand supporting me or the bike tipping, but never the peg strength. If you keep your weight close to the bike the side stand should be no issue either. Just saw a good video about that this week, maybe from MOTOTREK on youtube (can't remember which channel). He draws a rectangle that has the tire contact patches on one side and the side stand contact patch on the other side. If you keep your weight inside that rectangle the motorcycle should remain stable on the side stand, whether you're climbing up the rear tire to get on or standing on one of the pegs. Anyhow, no issue with peg strength.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have seen 2 side stands that have been replaced because of wobble and/or excessive play. Both showed material worn away in an arced/circular pattern from grinding away from sand and road grime. They are a pivot point and need to kept lubricated and cleaned of grit on a regular base's. See no reason they would wear from adding more weight to the 900lbs they are already supporting and seen no sign of anything being bent. Just my observations.:hmmm:
The only sidestands I've seen wear out because of weight are the ones that are attached like a fork. The two for prongs begin to widen of not properly bolted. Almost all sidestands will wear the inside pivot hole if not kept clean and lubed. I like to use the same lubed as used on boat trailer wheel bearings because it sheds the water and doesn't wash away. But remember, too. Grease will allow sand and dirt collect in that area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts