Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the fever again.....thought it was out of my system but no.....its worse than ever......rode the Harley over weekend and froze my rear end....tired of no protection from wind. Want to cross country this summer .....I am putting the Harley up for sale and once and for all taken the plunge. after 20 years I am narrowing my riding down to where I want to be.

Anyone talk some sense into me? pitiful I know

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Go man go!!! I know you may want to ride the Harley on occasion, but the comfort will take over quick and you will never turn back!!!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I got the fever again.....thought it was out of my system but no.....its worse than ever......rode the Harley over weekend and froze my rear end....tired of no protection from wind. Want to cross country this summer .....I am putting the Harley up for sale and once and for all taken the plunge. after 20 years I am narrowing my riding down to where I want to be.

Buy 1 wing and call us in the morning.

I have tried to break it down to understand it myself.

HDs-
cool factor
connection to the heritage or status associated with ownership
fulfilling a dream

noisy
engine heat in summer
lack of power
maintenance cost
cost to operate -premium gas

Wing-
quiet
comfortable
low maintenance
excellent for the long haul
more torque and top end speed

Seems like it should be easy but it's almost like comparing a feeling to a piece of metal (or tupperware). HDs are great bikes but they are soo different. Don't underestimate the power of emotion. Name any other brand where men and women voluntarily tattoo a brand name on their chests.
It's very hard to compare and it can only be done by you.

If you want the aura of an HD and knowing you own one is strongly important to you or if it fulfills your dream, keep it and ride 'til your tired. Rent a wing when on vacation.
If you want to go places and see America, then buy a wing and don't look back. You won't be able to stop smiling and you won't have bugs in your teeth.

A couple have come thru here with HD seller's remorse. The wing to them just isn't fun. It's not right or wrong. After all, emotion is what makes us do dumb things like spend money on stuff we don't need.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well spoken!! I am truly a recovering Harley dude! hehehe!

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Buy a Goldwing, you'll enjoy it.
See reason why below.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well spoken!! I am truly a recovering Harley dude! hehehe!
I'm with ya riggin, after owning a Fatboy, a RoadKing, and a Street Glide I have finally got it right! A beauty she is .. The Wing :)

·
Registered
455 Posts

Why not buy the wing and keep the H-D. This arrangement has worked for me since 1984. :eek:
Besides, it not cold all the time. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stop!! I have a brand new 2010 Wing and you guy's are talking me in to an HD?

I had a new 93 Heritage and a new (95 EG classic and kept the 93. I put 80 thousand miles on them in seven years. Great bikes both for different reasons.
I have also owned a 1970 Triumph and a 66 Wards Riverside. AS well as every Japanese brand made over the years. Including a 76 wing. 15 or so all told. I now own the best overall motorcycle I have ever had.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Stop!! I have a brand new 2010 Wing and you guy's are talking me in to an HD?

I had a new 93 Heritage and a new (95 EG classic and kept the 93. I put 80 thousand miles on them in seven years. Great bikes both for different reasons.
I have also owned a 1970 Triumph and a 66 Wards Riverside. AS well as every Japanese brand made over the years. Including a 76 wing. 15 or so all told. I now own the best overall motorcycle I have ever had.
No, we'd never do that. A 76 Wing the rare 'limited' model? :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't do it, I have walked that path my friend and i listened to what other people said on this forum.

I owned a heretage softail for 16 happy years and one day i came across this forum. I read and read on this forum and little did i know that the seed was planted in my brain. It happened one day in April last year, i woke up and said "im going to take a Goldwing for a test ride today"

Since that day i have spent thousands of dollars dressing up my goldwing and I'm in the stages of changing my HD tatoo to gHoldWing.

Trust me, you will never look back :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the input.
Never really had the harley fever....bought on a whim with my wife as a "fun" way to ride two up. Never rode a bike two up and she came along and had to share the motorcycle experience. I rode Triumphs mostly ......Trophy 1200 , Speed Triple and Daytona 955.....Ist purchased a Road Glide and tried to make it a touring bike....many mods....wind and up draft was impossible to deal with...switched to Ultra Classic....less air but still no real touring bike in my mind....we road over 17K miles on the bikes...,,, loaded they dogged in Colorado, heat scared me in Utah and Arizona .....103'd the RG...ran like crap with touring cam....on and on the story goes. They are a fun motorcycle....for a 200 mile trip
To Make things worse also own a R1200Gsa......thanks but no thanks this is an interesting adventure in snobbery and money....makes HD look cheap in comparison, service, farkles....etc. Very questionable FD issues.....we use it as a forest road bike although the performance and weather protection is very good.
I want a comfortable dependable , two up hauler with no power issues on a mountain pass. a rain proof durable machine capable of 100 K miles......

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'll be out in Arizona this April on a Harley, maybe. I got news that Coyote Honda rents Wings. A little extra drive to get there from where I'll be... butt it might be worth it.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Have both, enjoy both, but when it comes to comfort nothing better than the wing :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to admit...I am getting older and the back is going...I need the comfort.

I also wanted everyone to know that the greatest people are on the Goldwing Forum. I have owned many bikes over the years and GWers are at the top. Thanks for your responses

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Tooth, glad to hear you are so pleased with our reponses. Chosing between brands after having a Harley isn't an easy thing. There is an undeniable attraction to the marque. But, something that the most die-hardHD faithful will vehemently disagree on is the fact that there is a strong loyalty and (yes) an individuality and 'personality' to Goldwings. There is (and this is the difference IMO) a very 'tangible' adoration and pleasure in owning a Wing. Knowing that there as practically nothing that will stop you from going where you want in comfort, style and bulletproof reliability is it's own reward. All other brand owners will tell that the special something about their chosen brand is an "intangible" or its just "different" on a... Been there, done that. I can ride my Wing all day long any day and I can truthfully tell you that I can put my finger on it (what it is that makes the bike soooo special), but you better have some time, cause it's a long list, and it's all good. OK one bad (I still need my electric w/s):rolleyes:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Personally, I'd have an HD Heritage Softtail for booting around, but if I want to get serious, you can't beat the Wing.
Strat

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
My input will be very short.

HD rider -- :mad:

GW rider -- :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts