Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Honda Goldwing - GL1500. I have a 1988 Honda Service Manual for it. Recently I have developed a transmission problem (Noise, destructive sounding, in the transmission when you let off on it while it's in gear). I am removing the engine/transmission for inspection. I have followed meticulously every step in the engine removal process. I am at the last step before moving the engine/transmission out of the left side of the frame. The last step is: "Slide the Universal joint out of the output shaft." There must be some assumption that I'm not following, such as maybe moving the engine forward enough to provide enough end-play to do that. I can't imagine being able to just do the step, because if you could slide the u-joint off the output shaft of the motor, without doing something to make room, it would come off while you're riding. Since the motor has to come to the left, just enough to clear the right mounts before moving it forward, it would seem too much of a bend for the u-joint. Even if you did that, you can only move the motor forward about an inch and a half. The question is, how do you accomplish disconnecting the engine from the u-joint on the drive shaft? Any suggestions from my Goldwing brothers would be most appreciated! My last experience here (Info on putting in a new spedo cable, was entirely helpful. Thanks again guys!

Skip Gwyer

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Do you have the rear tire removed already?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
It would make it a little easier....

I know it means more stuff to take apart.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle. I have no idea how to.... just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would make it a little easier....

I know it means more stuff to take apart.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my situation. I had considered that, but only as a last resort. I've had the back of the bike off several times, replacing tires, and didn't want to go there if I didn't have to. I've read the re-install section in the Service Manual, and it tells me you should be able to do it without taking the shaft out from the back. My hang up right now is I have about 3/4" more to get the engine out of the back motor mount, and then I think I can move the engine forward enough to get the u-joint out.

Thanks again for your response!

Skip Gwyer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts