Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Very nice. Don't think I have ever seen a bike pulling another bike.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a lot of stares today as I did 200 miles with the trailer setup to see how it tracks and works out. It did fine.

I will have another 50 or so pounds on the trailer as I will put a couple of duffel bags full of camping gear on as well.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Hey Larry....Looks like a Harbor Freight Trailer. Are those 10 inch wheels?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I was wondering cause I just built a HF trailer that has 12 inch wheels. I noticed yours was sitting level with the hitch but mine tilts downward at the new Kury hitch. It also looks like you have a riser of some sort on the hitch to raise the ball up. I'm trying to figure out how to raise the hitch or lower the trailer tongue. Delimma. Looks like a handy rig you have there though. And yes, I knew that tire thing was gonna come into play...ha. By the way, isn't 42 lbs a little high for a car tire?

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was wondering cause I just built a HF trailer that has 12 inch wheels. I noticed yours was sitting level with the hitch but mine tilts downward at the new Kury hitch. It also looks like you have a riser of some sort on the hitch to raise the ball up. I'm trying to figure out how to raise the hitch or lower the trailer tongue. Delimma. Looks like a handy rig you have there though. And yes, I knew that tire thing was gonna come into play...ha. By the way, isn't 42 lbs a little high for a car tire?
The max is 44 psi. At 38, I had a little ass wiggle.... with 40 less and with 42 none. In another 1,000 miles or so, I am going to take a tread reading. I am just shy of 7,000 miles on it now. The front is a D404 and it appears to have 2,000 miles or 3,000 to go.

Also, my hitch is not a receiver hitch. It is a "step hitch." I wish I had gotten a receiver hitch, but the price was right on ebay. $50. The hitch looks that way because the bike is on the side stand. It sits at more of an angle as the rear tire is 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter in diameter.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Ok, gotcha on the tire pressure. I may have to go that way sooner or later as these MC tires are breaking me. I just put a Kury hitch on my 07 and its a vertical hitch. With the 12 inch tires on the trailer, it dosen't sit level. I pulled it about 50 miles the other day and although it did well, I am sorta concerned about the difference in height. I suppose I could go to 10 inch tires but I wanted the 12 so they would last longer. Anyway, looks like a good rig and ought to do the job. Enjoy the trip.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, gotcha on the tire pressure. I may have to go that way sooner or later as these MC tires are breaking me. I just put a Kury hitch on my 07 and its a vertical hitch. With the 12 inch tires on the trailer, it dosen't sit level. I pulled it about 50 miles the other day and although it did well, I am sorta concerned about the difference in height. I suppose I could go to 10 inch tires but I wanted the 12 so they would last longer. Anyway, looks like a good rig and ought to do the job. Enjoy the trip.
I would look into an off set receiver hitch to level out the trailer. Use a drop upside down to gain height.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
I was going to say That I ride on dirt road and tracks with my 1200. But you have got me there. You could ride on sand over river crossings and on very rough tracks. A good set up there Larry. Eric

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It was the thumbs up from sport bike riders, the head turners from cruisers and the jaw dropping from the pickup truck drivers that cracked me up.

My neighbor, a 75+ friendly guy watched me load the dual sport onto the trailer and said that he was making a special trip to church this morning to pray for me. Like I had taken some loco water or something.

It is not that big of a deal. The combined weight of the bike (260 lbs) the trailer (75 lbs) and my camping gear (60 lbs) is not that high. Or is it? I never felt out of control or anything.

I never looked to see how much the camper trailers weight.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Larry, I have recently bought a trailer and been doing some reading. My understanding is for every 50 lbs of weight it is the equivalent of 15 lbs on the bike.

I pull a camper with my truck and the issues are hp, tranny and braking.

I know nothing about the wings limitations, especially the tranny and what it will do. I am curious about the braking tho. How did it do? That seems like a lot to stop as it is 50% more weight.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Larry, I have recently bought a trailer and been doing some reading. My understanding is for every 50 lbs of weight it is the equivalent of 15 lbs on the bike.

I pull a camper with my truck and the issues are hp, tranny and braking.

I know nothing about the wings limitations, especially the tranny and what it will do. I am curious about the braking tho. How did it do? That seems like a lot to stop as it is 50% more weight.
Using your formula and my weight calculations from the manufacturer of the various items.... it appears as though I would add 125 lbs to the total weight of the bike. No more than a passenger would be.

It seemed to handle fine. Take offs were a little slower than a naked Wing but it did ok.

Now I have pulled my Spirit trailer full of camping gear and misc over 3500 miles on this Wing. So I have some experience pulling a trailer. This is a heavier load so I gave my self more room in front. That doesn't change things for emergency stops but I did do approximately 200 miles on it and during those miles, I put it through some quick stops.

I am not just doing this to go to Nassir with the bike.

I live in the Pacific Northwest that is chuck full of forest service roads and the like. There are several public hot springs that are only accessible by jeep or dual sport bikes. Often times, I see these adventure bikes on the road and had wondered how they do in the woods, I can see how uncomfortable they would be on a long distance trip. So I thought I would give it some trial and see if I could travel to some very neat dual sport areas with this configuration. I could pull this contraption with my Ford Ranger pickup but I really do enjoy riding my Wing and if this is do able, why not do it? Because I can do it. So it just happens to be the same time as Nassir is why I am taking it to Nassir.

So far, it seems to work but I will give it a few camping trips and see how it goes. This trip I plan to just haul my small tent and minimal camping supplies. And I won't be doing this two up.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Using your formula and my weight calculations from the manufacturer of the various items.... it appears as though I would add 125 lbs to the total weight of the bike. No more than a passenger would be.

It seemed to handle fine. Take offs were a little slower than a naked Wing but it did ok.

Now I have pulled my Spirit trailer full of camping gear and misc over 3500 miles on this Wing. So I have some experience pulling a trailer. This is a heavier load so I gave my self more room in front. That doesn't change things for emergency stops but I did do approximately 200 miles on it and during those miles, I put it through some quick stops.

I am not just doing this to go to Nassir with the bike.

I live in the Pacific Northwest that is chuck full of forest service roads and the like. There are several public hot springs that are only accessible by jeep or dual sport bikes. Often times, I see these adventure bikes on the road and had wondered how they do in the woods, I can see how uncomfortable they would be on a long distance trip. So I thought I would give it some trial and see if I could travel to some very neat dual sport areas with this configuration. I could pull this contraption with my Ford Ranger pickup but I really do enjoy riding my Wing and if this is do able, why not do it? Because I can do it. So it just happens to be the same time as Nassir is why I am taking it to Nassir.

So far, it seems to work but I will give it a few camping trips and see how it goes. This trip I plan to just haul my small tent and minimal camping supplies. And I won't be doing this two up.
Not knocking ya big guy. I am pretty well versed on towing with a truck but a true novice with a bike. I was making an inquiry as to what you experienced. You are correct, what you are doing is similar to carrying a 2nd passenger.

My trailer is 170 lbs empty and I try to keep the baggage about 30 to 40 lbs. My concern is corning while braking. You obviously have alot more experience and you are proving that what I am doing is not testing the limits. Maybe it's our twisty backroads here and hills but I am still on my toes and haven't yet got comfortable braking 230 lbs in the corners. Maybe I am worrying too much-it's still new to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts