Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I posted this on the Newbies forum, but I thought I might get more responses here.

Hello everyone. I am new here. Been ridin' a LONG time and NEVER thought I would be ready for a GW at this young age! (yeah, right)

Humm, the wife and I have been riding together since college (thank God her dad did not know that!). Currently, we ride a 2003 VTX 1800C with bags, shield, etc. Nice bike.

But, we moved from SoCal to Wichita, KS 14 months ago. The X was perfect in SoCal. We were 5 minutes from FANTASTIC roads!

But, in Wichita, one has to ride 4 or 5 hours to get to Arkansas and some decent roads. And, it can be a lot cooler in Kansas than the Los Angeles area.

OK, why not do that on the X?

Good question. First, slabbing it ain't what the X is about. Second, our two babies (Papillons) can't be left alone very long, so we need a way to take them with us for overnight trips - read that as we need a WAGS trailer.

Slabbing for hours, pulling a trailer, cool (cold?) weather, and when we get to some decent roads the ability to actually have some cornering performance seems to point to a Wing.

What do y'all think?

Finally, the one time the dear wife and I rode a GL1800 (in SocCal on twisties and the rough interstate), it was great except that the rider's position was uncomfortable for me. But, the guy who owns it had a driver's backrest which caused me to be leaned forward, accentuating the impact of the peg location. So, are these things comfortable for a 205#, 5'11", 32" inseam guy or not?

Regards,
Joe T.
Joe t is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
48 Posts
You Know What They Say...

Folks, I posted this on the Newbies forum, but I thought I might get more responses here.

Hello everyone. I am new here. Been ridin' a LONG time and NEVER thought I would be ready for a GW at this young age! (yeah, right)

Humm, the wife and I have been riding together since college (thank God her dad did not know that!). Currently, we ride a 2003 VTX 1800C with bags, shield, etc. Nice bike.

But, we moved from SoCal to Wichita, KS 14 months ago. The X was perfect in SoCal. We were 5 minutes from FANTASTIC roads!

But, in Wichita, one has to ride 4 or 5 hours to get to Arkansas and some decent roads. And, it can be a lot cooler in Kansas than the Los Angeles area.

OK, why not do that on the X?

Good question. First, slabbing it ain't what the X is about. Second, our two babies (Papillons) can't be left alone very long, so we need a way to take them with us for overnight trips - read that as we need a WAGS trailer.

Slabbing for hours, pulling a trailer, cool (cold?) weather, and when we get to some decent roads the ability to actually have some cornering performance seems to point to a Wing.

What do y'all think?

Finally, the one time the dear wife and I rode a GL1800 (in SocCal on twisties and the rough interstate), it was great except that the rider's position was uncomfortable for me. But, the guy who owns it had a driver's backrest which caused me to be leaned forward, accentuating the impact of the peg location. So, are these things comfortable for a 205#, 5'11", 32" inseam guy or not?

Regards,
Joe T.
Joe t is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
They don't call the Gold Wing "a road sofa" or "Geezer Lounger (GL)" for nothing. Like a car on two wheels. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Joe, the backrest ruined it for you. Those things can make you feel like you're in an easy chair or a bad bar stool. I swear by the backrest - no tired back no matter the time or distance. My particular backrest is adjustable...I'm planning to get fat soon so.....

·
Super Moderator
9,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i am 6 ft 4 in tall and hit the scales at 370. i am very much in love with my wing wouldnt give it up for any other bike. i do have a adjustable back rest and hiway pegs. my latest add on was a set of baker wind wings(for the hands) rode yesterday it was 42 deg and my hands didnt get cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.