Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I posted this on the Newbies forum, but I thought I might get more responses here.

Hello everyone. I am new here. Been ridin' a LONG time and NEVER thought I would be ready for a GW at this young age! (yeah, right)

Humm, the wife and I have been riding together since college (thank God her dad did not know that!). Currently, we ride a 2003 VTX 1800C with bags, shield, etc. Nice bike.

But, we moved from SoCal to Wichita, KS 14 months ago. The X was perfect in SoCal. We were 5 minutes from FANTASTIC roads!

But, in Wichita, one has to ride 4 or 5 hours to get to Arkansas and some decent roads. And, it can be a lot cooler in Kansas than the Los Angeles area.

OK, why not do that on the X?

Good question. First, slabbing it ain't what the X is about. Second, our two babies (Papillons) can't be left alone very long, so we need a way to take them with us for overnight trips - read that as we need a WAGS trailer.

Slabbing for hours, pulling a trailer, cool (cold?) weather, and when we get to some decent roads the ability to actually have some cornering performance seems to point to a Wing.

What do y'all think?

Finally, the one time the dear wife and I rode a GL1800 (in SocCal on twisties and the rough interstate), it was great except that the rider's position was uncomfortable for me. But, the guy who owns it had a driver's backrest which caused me to be leaned forward, accentuating the impact of the peg location. So, are these things comfortable for a 205#, 5'11", 32" inseam guy or not?

Regards,
Joe T.
Joe t is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gl1800

I'm 5'11" 264lbs. I ride with a back rest adjusted to me and love it. Try another one and adjust it for you. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
comfort

I'm 5'9", 185lbs. I put 80,000 miles on my 06 vStar 1100... so was very used to a cruiser's riding position. One week ago today I got my first goldwing.... an 09 GL1800... and so far put 1200 miles on it.

At first the lack of floorboards and backrest, combined with the upright riding position was akward... and made my lower bach ache. But I've discovered the lack of floorboards allows me to strech my calves/shins. And once I get up to 5th gear I can use the forward pegs (which I gather are optional as many gl1800s I see don't have them) which makes me feel almost like being on a cruiser. But I cannot get used to no backrest... so I ordered one 2 days ago and can't wait to receive/install it.

Having said all of this... there's no doubt the wing is FAR more comfortable than the cruiser... I used to look forward to stopping for gas every 80-100 miles... now I'm eager to keep going after 150.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You Know What They Say...

Folks, I posted this on the Newbies forum, but I thought I might get more responses here.

Hello everyone. I am new here. Been ridin' a LONG time and NEVER thought I would be ready for a GW at this young age! (yeah, right)

Humm, the wife and I have been riding together since college (thank God her dad did not know that!). Currently, we ride a 2003 VTX 1800C with bags, shield, etc. Nice bike.

But, we moved from SoCal to Wichita, KS 14 months ago. The X was perfect in SoCal. We were 5 minutes from FANTASTIC roads!

But, in Wichita, one has to ride 4 or 5 hours to get to Arkansas and some decent roads. And, it can be a lot cooler in Kansas than the Los Angeles area.

OK, why not do that on the X?

Good question. First, slabbing it ain't what the X is about. Second, our two babies (Papillons) can't be left alone very long, so we need a way to take them with us for overnight trips - read that as we need a WAGS trailer.

Slabbing for hours, pulling a trailer, cool (cold?) weather, and when we get to some decent roads the ability to actually have some cornering performance seems to point to a Wing.

What do y'all think?

Finally, the one time the dear wife and I rode a GL1800 (in SocCal on twisties and the rough interstate), it was great except that the rider's position was uncomfortable for me. But, the guy who owns it had a driver's backrest which caused me to be leaned forward, accentuating the impact of the peg location. So, are these things comfortable for a 205#, 5'11", 32" inseam guy or not?

Regards,
Joe T.
Joe t is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
They don't call the Gold Wing "a road sofa" or "Geezer Lounger (GL)" for nothing. Like a car on two wheels. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Joe, the backrest ruined it for you. Those things can make you feel like you're in an easy chair or a bad bar stool. I swear by the backrest - no tired back no matter the time or distance. My particular backrest is adjustable...I'm planning to get fat soon so.....

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i am 6 ft 4 in tall and hit the scales at 370. i am very much in love with my wing wouldnt give it up for any other bike. i do have a adjustable back rest and hiway pegs. my latest add on was a set of baker wind wings(for the hands) rode yesterday it was 42 deg and my hands didnt get cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts