Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 1982 GL1100 Interstate. For special plates it must be painted an original Goldwing colour for the year. The bike is green and does not look like it has been repainted. I have found one reference to a green GL1100 saying it is a rare colour. The downloadable colours doc for the era list no green. Is green an original colour?

·
Registered
183 Posts
hello and welcome to the forum from Nor-Cal, My 82 is like root beer brown, which i have seen many that color, never seen a green one. never heard anything like it has to be a original color either for custom plates. course never been to Canada. I no cars have a color code in the VIN # i would bet bikes do to. maybe take your VIN # it to a honda shop and they should be able to decode it for ya, I could be wrong but it would be worth a try, A!!

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Found the color in this paragraph from goldwingfacts:
Interstate GL1100's are the most commonly spotted variety. This model spanned the whole production run and most GL1100's sold were Intertates. If there are any clean ones left, a 1980-81 model should get around �2,600 and a 1982 with the smaller wheels about the same, probably because the plastics hide the obvious difference in wheels and tyres. The 1982 Aspencade is sought after and a fully loaded one will easily exceed �3,500. The 1983 Aspencade is highly lusted after. This was the ultimate GL1100 and the extra refinements mean that you can expect to be relieved of up to �4,500 in a private sale, perhaps even more for this rarest of the species. Various colours were available for the GL1100's, Wineberry Red, brown, blue, black and a very rare green. The most popular colour is Wineberry Red and a clean example in this colour will always be worth a bit more and as such will be easier to dispose of when you get too old to hold the thing up on the road. A tatty example (cracked plastics, faded paintwork, engine paint flaking, rusted exhausts etc) of any year can be had for as little as �2,000, but if you want to bring it up to scratch it will cost much more than buying a clean machine in the first place. At 2005 prices, try �250 for a full badge set for example, or �700 for the upper fairing. It should be noted that in general, Goldwings with lots of accessories don't always fetch more money than a less loaded machine. Many folks spend several thousands of dollars or Euros on extras, only to be insulted by the deal offered on a trade-in or from a buyer. Some extras will appeal to particular buyers and will prompt them to pay a bit more, but you will never recover all the cash spent on accessories when selling a Goldwing. The real value is on the machine itself and if a seller intends to buy another Goldwing of the same type, it would be wise for him or her to remove whatever extras that can be fitted to the new machine. The recent (late 2004-2005) price drop of new Goldwings in Ireland (due to the low dollar) has not affected the prices of GL1100 models. They are so old now that the prices are unlikely to drop further any time soon.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your quick answers. I get the bike tomorrow and will check the paint code then. British Columbia has 'collector' plates for unmodified vehicles more than 25 years old. The provincial insurance for the Wing goes from $1000/yr to $50/year with collector plates.

Thanks again,
macsride

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
ICBC doesn't do you guys any favours over there do they? I pay half that for full coverage on my '09 1800.
As to your colour, it's been around a couple times. There was a GL1000 that wore that green. Sharon Stanley (editor of Wingworld Magazine) has a naked version that used to be an avatar on her monthly column.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
May I suggest a professional motorcycle appraiser who knows classic/antique motorcycles very well and can verify that this is indeed an original color.
A letter to Honda with all information and photographs. I'm thinking along the lines of professional and manufacturers documentation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for your quick answers. I get the bike tomorrow and will check the paint code then. British Columbia has 'collector' plates for unmodified vehicles more than 25 years old. The provincial insurance for the Wing goes from $1000/yr to $50/year with collector plates.

Thanks again,
macsride
Queensland has special rego too, but its after 30 years so my 89 has a few years to go. Usage allowed is too restrictive though to consider it for a normal ride details here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.