Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really like this forum, so many people here to help me!

I want a bike cover for my new ride while at work, this is what I have found so far:
http://www.durashieldcovers.com/mot...cycle-covers?gclid=CNHWt_nh7KgCFcPD7QodVD09Tg

but I am not sure what I really want, any suggestions?
lined not lined? , ventilated (yes)

I found a few more here:
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/50_goldwing_bike_covers/des/

I have a garage at home , what I want is to cover the bike durring the day while at the office if this makes a differences in selection

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Try this one:

http://www.tourkingcovers.com/shop/

I have it and love it. It made of nylon, fits in a pouch and covers everything that need to be covered on the Wing. Spray it with Kamp Dry and your good to go. $40 bucks and worth it.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Ohhhhh Scooter this will be an interesting thread. Probably by the time it's done or when your ready to buy you will be more confused.:D

Anyway here is my .02. I had a Nelson Rigg full weather cover for my wing. Never did anything to it but put it on & take it off. This does have its downside though & that is, takes up a little more room than the one Two Wheel told you about. Here's the cover.

http://www.shopmotorcycleonlinestor...5539&browse=238700&shopBy=9747&catalogId=1671

Some guys like to use Half Covers so they don't have to give up space.

Anyway, let the opinions commence.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Whatever cover you choose-buy a couple tennis balls-cut them so you can fit them over the folding point of the antennas before installing the cover.
Will save a ripped cover.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Craigslist always has a used cover posted for almost nothing..... if you watch the ads. for example, Last night, I just picked up a pair of Hondaline speaker/headsets for $50 on Craigslist. I already have them mounted in my helmets.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hey there scooter, I got my cover from e-bay. Paid $25 for it and it's just fine. No logos or anything just some rain and dust protection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We just got one of the Tour King covers suggested by Two Wheel Wing. I wanted something small to save space for when we overnight travel two up and there might be inclement weather that we can't avoid. If I was riding to work everyday in all weather, I'd get one of the larger covers that goes down further over the entire bike, figuring there should be plenty of room to carry the extra protection.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi Scooter,

I have one from Champion... it is a nylon full cover w/elastic around the bottom and comes with a really nice locking cable; (which I have not bothered with - although it might come into use on my other motorcycle to secure jackets etc, while parked.) It is very similar to this one: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/50_bike_covers/3163_goldwing_full_cover_grey_silver_or_black_silver/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F50_goldwing_bike_covers%2Fdes%2F

I really like the cover because it is very light yet provides great protection and seems to be very sturdy. It folds up very compact and I can store it away far more easily than the Road Star cover I have which is a real bear to pack on a trip.

Like Fossil said - you will probably have information overload by the time this thread fleshes out. Sorry to have added to that, but hope it helps you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The cheap one at Wally World will work just fine. Of course be sure to buy the big sized one. The idea about cushioning the antenna with a tennis ball is a good one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You might even try a web site called the wing store.haven't bought from them, so i don't know there service, but they have covers. out of Alabama. Be safe

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've been using a few covers. Started with the Tour King, ok for the price. Use the Ultra Guard full cover for when I think I need the most protection. Has held up real well, survived some strong storms and stills looks great. Bought an Ultra Guard half cover this summer, paid like $25 and like it a lot. Little more bulk in the saddlebag but stays on better than my Tour King which has seen better days. The elastic in the Tour King is what has seen better days, otherwise the cover is like new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Protecting Your GL1800 Bike Cover

Purchased a nylon cover and it lasted 3 days, when during removal with the antennas in the down position they sliced the cover like cheese. Not finding anything commercial that would protect the cover during install/removal I made my own. See pictures attached.
Used 1" rubber hose from any hose supply house, cut to the dimensions shown in the picture, follow the natural curve of the hose and when you make the cut-out it will naturally curl. If you don't have the CB antenna installed you can use smaller hose. An 18" section of hose will make 4 of them. Now no sliced cover during installation or removal and the extra 10 seconds to install is well worth saving the cost of another cover. Cost to make is probably under $5, depending on your hose supplier. Used rubber hose instead of plastic to maintain flexibility and durability.
Hope this helps save someones cover. Hate to see them die prematurely.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Great idea CK. Less bulk than the tennis ball.

Maybe you could join us over to Winthrop on the 21st.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Very ingenious ck, I like that!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have two covers, one weather/rain from Cycle Gear. Keeps off rain and stuff in the winter. I also have a Cycle Shade sun cover that is just a canopy that keeps the sun off the seat, tank and top sides. Each serves a purpose based on the weather.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts