Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2012 Goldwing which I bought new, have done 37000 miles. Just recently have had problems starting the bike after a long ride. When cool the battery starts the bike (with slight apparent difficulty) after a long ride say 50 miles if the bike is put off, it will not start and gives the impression the battery is flat. But if left to cool say 1 hour the battery will start the bike. Once the bike stopped while idling, and was able to start the bike by pushing it. Naturally i blame the battery as four years have passed and perhaps it has lived its life. However am confused as to why it would start the bike even if left idle for 7 days, how can a bad battery do that, after 7 days , could there be another problem.

·
Premium Member
23,734 Posts
Of course no two batteries are created equal, but I'm on my 8th year with the original. At a minimum clean and secure the post connections. Eliminate that variable first. Take the Wing for a respected ride , 50-100 miles, around the block. Come home and try to restart. No go ? Clean and secure the line connections and try a restart. I assume when engine doesn't crank all the dash functions are still working ? The starter requires all the amps and voltage that battery and cables can muster.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
After taking Chopins advise I would pull the plastic and find that wire that is shorted against the frame. If your don't have a good quality AGM battery, you need one.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you have a multimeter... I would add one more thing to the list of previous posts

Check the voltage of the battery cold... should be at about 12.5 volts

Then check the voltage again with bike running.... should be 1.5 to 2 volts above standing voltage of battery from first test..... just to check both the battery and and the alternator.

If the battery is not an AGM..... look at the fluid level.... if any cells are low...
top it off with distilled water and then give it a charge while it is off the bike....

I like to repeat all if the above tests again after the charging.... if all good... test again a few days later..... if voltage is not staying up to par..... a battery is in your cards.

I have a voltmeter installed on my bike..... so I make the above tests every time I go for a ride.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Get the battery load tested!
Not starting when hot may not be the battery!
Mine was 10yesrs old + when I sold the trike! Always kept it on a battery maintainer when parked on the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I'm going to make a comment here that some may not agree with and it's my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it. 50 miles is not a long trip and if that's all the longer you ride at one time I can see how your battery could be shot. The 1800 is an electrical bike in that it takes a lot of juice, voltage, amps, etc to run it. All that comes from the battery.

The alternator recharges the battery to a certain point on a short run of 50 miles, but if that's all it's ever run the alternator will never get the chance to fully charge the battery, especially when there is a constant draw on it. My advice, buy yourself a new battery and ride your bike on more longer trips, 100 miles minimum. You'll enjoy it more and your battery will thank you.

Heck a lot of us have been known to ride 50 miles just to get a gallon of milk 2 miles down the road. :grin2:

I just noticed you have put 37,000 miles on your bike in 4 years which indicates you do ride it a lot, but 5 or 6 50 mile rides in a short time are still hard on the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts