Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the Aspencade and sidecar to bring them back to life. Anybody have done this themselves, anybody done this before. Anybody except those who think I’m nuts.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I wish you luck on the resurrection.

·
Super Moderator
14,250 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I believe you are somewhere in the South. I'm not any help on that year bike, but there are many here who are and will be along. If you have any specific questions put them out there.

·
Super Moderator
9,699 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Good luck on the project and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. No help on the restoration but others are here that can. Just ask. Good luck with the project. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hey Joe - Welcome and congratulations on your new project. Any motorcycle with a frame mounted side car may take some getting used to, although many feel it is a real improvement in stability. Especially when sitting at a traffic light while loaded with all your cross country gear. Last year during a motorcycle rally there was a guy whose dog wore matching Blacked-Out "Elton John" goggles (similar to photo) while they rode in his side car. His dog "Ralph" had an upside down water bottle mounted (Like in a Parakeet Cage) so he could take a drink as needed while going down the road. :)

Depending on how long your bike has been parked, there will be an assortment of things to repair, change or flush out and then the typical tune-up parts to replace. A Google search on breathing life back into your GW can help to head you in the right direction.

Once you have her running, make sure to check the operation of the stator winding and that the battery charging system is working properly. The electrics are a known weak point on the early 4 cylinder bikes "IF" Overloaded With A Bunch of Additional "Non-Factory" High Wattage Lights". For safety, your side car may already have headlights, brake lights and running lights installed but you might consider converting everything to LED lighting to make sure not to overload the stator winding.

One other area to go through is the GW's suspension and the side-car attachment arms, bushings and over all alignment. Tire wear can be an issue unless the "Toe-In" is set correctly.

Good Luck With Everything and Again Welcome - Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts