Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P) 2006 Victory Vegas
53 Posts
We live up on a hill in Pittsburgh (well, that's not unusual, since half of Pittsburgh is on a hill...and the other half down by the rivers and streams) that are near (about a half-mile away) an Interstate. On the occasions when I'm out walking the dogs, sometimes a Harley will be on the road, and while, of course, I can hear it as it goes by the local area (and, by the way, it's almost the only highway noise I can hear from where I am), I can still hear it five minutes later, which, doing the math and assuming that the rider was observing the speed limit, is five miles away.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to sit on top of that much noise, and sure, I've heard the argument that making a lot of noise makes one more easily seen. But I'd prefer to not need earplugs while I'm riding.
Likewise, we live in the country. And lots of bikes pass us by daily. There is always the HOG that blares through and you can hear it for 5-6 miles reverberating off the trees. I have a Victory Vegas I bought for my son that makes a little noise, and even I like to rumble around a few miles on it. But Couldn't listen to that crap all the time.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I was on a ride one day and had a couple of Harley riders approach me at a gas station. One of the guys said he used to have a Goldwing but it was like riding on a sofa so he bought a Harley. He said the big benefit was that his wife used to go on rides with him on the Goldwing but not the Harley. He said that was a benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like he has all sorts of issues, many of which have nothing to do with a motorcycle at all. I someone wants to spend that kind of $ to downgrade their ride comfort (not to mention mechanical cost of ownership) to get away from his wife then the problems run deep! Yes, there are times I'm glad my wife likes to stay home, but I would rather have her along than leave her.
When we bought the current Wing we also looked at an Ultra Classic (with Screamin Eagle pipes). After hearing the HD run she just looked at me and said "Hell to the no!" "If you expect me to sit back there and listen to that you are crazy as hell." I immediately opted for the Wing.

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
123 Posts
Sounds like he has all sorts of issues, many of which have nothing to do with a motorcycle at all. I someone wants to spend that kind of $ to downgrade their ride comfort (not to mention mechanical cost of ownership) to get away from his wife then the problems run deep! Yes, there are times I'm glad my wife likes to stay home, but I would rather have her along than leave her.
When we bought the current Wing we also looked at an Ultra Classic (with Screamin Eagle pipes). After hearing the HD run she just looked at me and said "Hell to the no!" "If you expect me to sit back there and listen to that you are crazy as hell." I immediately opted for the Wing.
Wise choice.

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone. I've got a question. Why does there seem to be a big pissing match between harley riders and Goldwing owners? I've always had a philosophy of that it doesn't matter what you ride, just as long that you ride.

Thanks guys.
I have owned and ridden Harleys for well over 30 years and I still ride my customized 2015 Road Glide every chance I get. I have also owned several Gold Wings and I ride my 2019 Gold Wing Tour daily or as often as possible. Both bikes are fun to ride and both are very different but I absolutely love both of them for many different reasons. Riding the Wing makes me feel as if the bike was custom made for me as I feel like I am a part of the bike. An awesome feeling, similar to what I imagine a formula race car driver feels as the vehicle is formed around him. Riding the Harley is also a load of fun and I love feeling the power it produces and it's well, just cool. I don't care what you ride and I greet all riders regardless of what they're riding. Life is too short for me to be bothered by some idiot who wants to argue about whose bike is better or whose johnson is bigger. Ride what makes you happy and just be glad we still have the freedom to ride whatever we want, wherever we want. And when that day eventually comes, I plan to have the Wing turned into a trike and will thus be relegated to official 3 wheeled old geezer status but I'll be happy, regardless of what I'm riding. See you friends out on the open road.
Jitters
SF Vietnam Vet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone. I've got a question. Why does there seem to be a big pissing match between harley riders and Goldwing owners? I've always had a philosophy of that it doesn't matter what you ride, just as long that you ride.

Thanks guys.
Perhaps it is the names of the two groups, Harley Owners Group, which is shortened to HOG, while Honda Owners Group , again HOG. Many times I've heard Harley owners refer to their bike as a Hog

·
Registered
473 Posts
The one thing I noticed this weekend up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, which holds true as far back as I can remember, is that all of the "rebels" on Harleys look exactly alike. Riding a Goldwing is what sets you apart.

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
13 Posts
Don’t matter to me as long as you ride. I prefer a GW Just ride. A Harley is just another Kawasaki now and its sad an American motorcycle is owned by Kawasaki now
I hope this was tongue in cheek. But just in case....
This was an April Fools joke. Kawasaki does not own HD. If you Google "Does Kawasaki own Harley Davidson", you will get the stories and they are dated April 1, 2014. The HD owners sold out to AMF and then it was reacquired by the old leadership, if memory serves.

Currently, Harley-Davidson, Inc. (HOG on the NYSE) is owned by its stockholders.

Reactions: Ron Hill

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I've never had an issue with a Harley rider, they normally just say "nice bike". When I had my 1500 I was at our local park, there was a group of Harleys there and one of the guys commented on how nice the bike was but he would never own a Japanese bike. When I told him it wasn't a Japanese bike and that it was made in the U.S.A. he could believe until I showed him the USA stamp on the engine. He then said "Well, it's a Honda".

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
123 Posts
I've never had an issue with a Harley rider, they normally just say "nice bike". When I had my 1500 I was at our local park, there was a group of Harleys there and one of the guys commented on how nice the bike was but he would never own a Japanese bike. When I told him it wasn't a Japanese bike and that it was made in the U.S.A. he could believe until I showed him the USA stamp on the engine. He then said "Well, it's a Honda".
Well at least least they didn't call it a Rice Burner. I formally owned a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard and many of the Harley riders in my area would like to call my bike by that name. I didn't mind as my Loungechair was so darnn soft and smooth that I loved it.

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Registered
1996 Honda GoldWing Interstate, Candy Spectra Red, and of course, with drive shaft.
29 Posts
Well at least least they didn't call it a Rice Burner. I formally owned a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard and many of the Harley riders in my area would like to call my bike by that name. I didn't mind as my Loungechair was so darnn soft and smooth that I loved it.
There may have been a time when “rice burner” was apropos for the Japanese bikes, especially the 150cc and less two-strokes, but I think that Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki rather blew that away with the introduction of the Gold Wing and the other tourers.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Wise choice.
Thanks Ron, we thought so. I wish I could justify getting a new Wing, but it just isn't in the cards for me. And I like my '07 just fine. Glad I didn't go the way of the Hog.

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
123 Posts
I've noticed the Honda Shadow, Kawi vulcan, all the V Twin's look just alike. They ALL try to look like a Harley. However, nothing and I mean NOTHING else looks like a goldwing. Personally.... I like it.
Funny but all so true.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Also seems to me that Wing Ding or Wings Over The Smokies is a helluva lot safer than Sturgis!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts