Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Honda GoldWing Interstate, Candy Spectra Red, and of course, with drive shaft.
30 Posts
I actually had a Harley rider come up to me last week on the Cherohala and say, "man, that's a bad-ass ride! I'd have one of those, but I'm in the Outlaws and we can't ride imports." It seems to me the word "outlaw" loses some effect when someone else is telling you what to ride.
Would my Marysville, Ohio-built ‘96 Wing make it?

Yeah, it’s funny when those who claim their independence must conform to some ideal image.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Around here most Harley riders wave at restaurants and gas stations stand and shoot the bull with my wife and I. Some of it could be that back in the day I rode Harleys with them or there dads. The young crotch rocket kids are the ones that think both Harleys and wings are beneath them. Have been known to go home and get my gixxer or busa and go back and wipe the smerks off there face though.😂

·
Registered
82 GL1100 Wineberry Red Std w/ Full Vetter Gear
68 Posts
It all kind of reminds me of the constant bickering between Republican and Democrat politicians.
They all go to the same restaurants, vacation at the same places, send their kids to the same schools, live in the same kind of neighborhoods, so it seems to me to be a whole lot of show just for the peasants. Fundamentally, they're all Elitists on a big power Trip. They argue, just to get the rest of us arguing. Divide and conquer, baby! It's a strategy that's even older than humanity itself.

·
Registered
959 Posts
As far as the sport bikes, crotch rocket, riders waving, I think they are afraid to let go of the handle bars. Did you ever see one cruising down the highway with only one hand on the bars?

·
Super Moderator
9,817 Posts
The argument started and is continued by the rider and not the ride. They both have 2 wheels or 3 wheels if you have a trike. There is plenty of roads for both to exist.

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
I was talking to a dyed-in the-wool Harley rider and told him I rode the other H word. His response was "As long as you are on two wheels"!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think 2 wheels over 4 wheels will always hold true, but after that everyone has their preferences. My wife and my helmets don't match, are we going to have to sell the goldwing now?
You don't have to sell the bike, but you're not allowed to ride it on public streets, you have to relinquish your GWRRA card, and you can't eat at Dairy Queens any more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I actually had a Harley rider come up to me last week on the Cherohala and say, "man, that's a bad-ass ride! I'd have one of those, but I'm in the Outlaws and we can't ride imports." It seems to me the word "outlaw" loses some effect when someone else is telling you what to ride.
My "imported" 2003 Goldwing was made in Marysville OH (between 1980 and 2010). But get a HD rider to admit it is an American made bike ... good luck with that concept .... ! 🤪

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 HPNA in Challenger Brown Metallic
21 Posts
My "imported" 2003 Goldwing was made in Marysville OH (between 1980 and 2010). But get a HD rider to admit it is an American made bike ... good luck with that concept .... ! 🤪
My 2008, too.

I get the same crap from a guy in the fire department about my built in Indiana 2007 Toyota Tundra (they are now all built in San Antonio). Last time I looked into it a few years back, my Tundra had a higher percentage of "Made in The USA" parts than Chebby, Ferd, or Drudge trucks of the time, which a majority of those were assembled in Canada or Mexico. Then he tries to tell me I sent my money to Jah-Pan, but I ask him how that's possible since I bought both used. :unsure: He mumbles something incoherent and the conversation is over.

I picked up a cheap, used `79 Chebby C-10 in 1990. At 11 years old and over 100,000 miles it was rusty and beat! But having a home based company truck meant it got little use and lasted a long time (until 1997). Look at a 14 year old "Big 3" pickup next to mine now with 154,000 miles on it. Big difference. Yes, Toyota had to put a new frame under it in Nov. 2018 because they screwed it up during manufacture, but it still drives like a new truck almost 3 years later. I would have no reservations of taking it on a cross-country trip towing an RV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back in the day, after the war, when the guys came home, some were happy go lucky and bought what the liked. Some were still suffering from left over grief, and the loud angry sound of a Harley vibrated their balls and made them feel like men again. There was grief against Japan for attacking our beloved Pearl Harbor, so anyone who supported them was considered an asshole. As time went on, and our brains grew, so did our smart choices in our purchases. More of our money went to China and Japan etc. When I was discharged in 1969, I bought two things, a nice Honda motorcycle, and a Dodge Charger. Oh how I wish I still had them. I never felt the need to be loud or nasty. My Harley friends have stock mufflers, lots of accessories and we joke about how we compete for bells and whistles. All the motorcycling and automotive industry has improved. One friend has an on Yahamaha with 500,000 miles on it, and jokes, "some day I'll catch a Goldwing".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. I've got a question. Why does there seem to be a big pissing match between harley riders and Goldwing owners? I've always had a philosophy of that it doesn't matter what you ride, just as long that you ride.

Thanks guys.
Don’t matter to me as long as you ride. I prefer a GW Just ride. A Harley is just another Kawasaki now and its sad an American motorcycle is owned by Kawasaki now

·
Registered
14 Posts
We live up on a hill in Pittsburgh (well, that's not unusual, since half of Pittsburgh is on a hill...and the other half down by the rivers and streams) that are near (about a half-mile away) an Interstate. On the occasions when I'm out walking the dogs, sometimes a Harley will be on the road, and while, of course, I can hear it as it goes by the local area (and, by the way, it's almost the only highway noise I can hear from where I am), I can still hear it five minutes later, which, doing the math and assuming that the rider was observing the speed limit, is five miles away.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to sit on top of that much noise, and sure, I've heard the argument that making a lot of noise makes one more easily seen. But I'd prefer to not need earplugs while I'm riding.
You're right, a lot of Pittsburgh real estate seems to be on a hill! My mother was originally from Bellevue. I was there once, it's on top of a hill too, if I recall correctly. :)

LOL I know what you mean about the noise but, they're not nearly as loud when you're sitting on them as when you're either behind them or not on the road. That being said, I still never liked the noise but for the past 4 years I've been using ear plugs on my trips so I think it would be more tolerable these days. I'm not a Harley rider, btw, I ride an '18 GL1800.

BTW, the ear plugs, in my case, were for the wind noise that I was told by a friend increases fatigue which, I thought was total BS, until I tried them on my next trip which, I'm a believer. Of course, more often than not, I wear a half helmet so I get a lot more wind noise than those of you wearing full face or even 3/4 helmets.

·
Registered
1996 Honda GoldWing Interstate, Candy Spectra Red, and of course, with drive shaft.
30 Posts
Actually most of Bellevue is low-ish, there's only the last part that's up at the rest of Pittsburgh's hills (which is actually a dissected plateau, but that's a geology term). Based on that, your mother probably lived not far from where I am, on the first hill as one leaves Bellevue.

Anyway, the noise can be fatiguing, so I don't doubt that suppressing even wind noise is helpful. Until recently I didn't have a visor on my 3/4 helmet (my old one, somehow, collected an unwashable film on it) and having replaced it I'm much happier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone. I've got a question. Why does there seem to be a big pissing match between harley riders and Goldwing owners? I've always had a philosophy of that it doesn't matter what you ride, just as long that you ride.

Thanks guys.
I have both ! There used to be a big push to “buy American “ when imposts came on the scene in the last century- and that’s what this exclusion type thinking is : soooo last century-
The thing is, Honda employs people everywhere, and shares the road and track with everyone-
I run a Gold Wing and Road King. They play nice together in the garage...

21 - 40 of 54 Posts