Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Super Moderator
I agree that we are all riders. I generally don't argue with anyone. However, I may give them a ration of crap now and then.....馃嵑

Registered
1996 Honda GoldWing Interstate, Candy Spectra Red, and of course, with drive shaft.
Hey everyone. I've got a question. Why does there seem to be a big pissing match between harley riders and Goldwing owners? I've always had a philosophy of that it doesn't matter what you ride, just as long that you ride.

Thanks guys.
There was a sign that a co-worker had up in his cube. It said "Speed Limit - 85 mph"
And then below the main, official-looking sign it said "Harley Riders, just try to keep up".

I should note that he rode a Harley, so it was all in good fun.

Registered
82 GL1100 Wineberry Red Std w/ Full Vetter Gear
My older brother is pure Harley 'till death. When I brought my Gold Wing over to show it to him his lackluster response was "I suppose it will do." But I get the last laugh every time I show up at a family function, and people say, "we didn't even hear you pull up."
"That's because it's not a Harley" I always reply, with a grin.

Registered
1996 Honda GoldWing Interstate, Candy Spectra Red, and of course, with drive shaft.
My older brother is pure Harley 'till death. When I brought my Gold Wing over to show it to him his lackluster response was "I suppose it will do." But I get the last laugh every time I show up at a family function, and people say, "we didn't even hear you pull up."
"That's because it's not a Harley" I always reply, with a grin.
We live up on a hill in Pittsburgh (well, that's not unusual, since half of Pittsburgh is on a hill...and the other half down by the rivers and streams) that are near (about a half-mile away) an Interstate. On the occasions when I'm out walking the dogs, sometimes a Harley will be on the road, and while, of course, I can hear it as it goes by the local area (and, by the way, it's almost the only highway noise I can hear from where I am), I can still hear it five minutes later, which, doing the math and assuming that the rider was observing the speed limit, is five miles away.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to sit on top of that much noise, and sure, I've heard the argument that making a lot of noise makes one more easily seen. But I'd prefer to not need earplugs while I'm riding.

Registered
2013 F6B
Some people need to be able to justify what they ride by comparing it to others. Harleys and Goldwings are such completely different beasts that the comparisons are obvious and it's easy to pick a particular criteria and get a clear winner. I don't really understand it either, though. If I had my way, there would definitely be a couple of Harleys in my garage along with another Wing or two.

Registered
I'm with others who feel all bikers are in the same big family. I get why people like Harleys and I respect their preference, but it's not what I want in a motorcycle.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on this: I meet plenty (more than half) of Harley riders won't wave to me when I'm on the Goldwing. Sport bike riders also seem reluctant to wave at Goldwings. On Sunday we met a half dozen sport bikes in a group and they all made a point of not waving to me while they went out of their way to wave at my son who was following me on a naked bike, LOL. I just laugh it off because I've been riding street bike for 40 years and I'm betting most of the riders I meet weren't even around when I started this racket, so I don't need their validation. I just wave anyway and hope they're having fun. If looking down at a wily old veteran rider like me gives them joy, that's all good.

Registered
82 GL1100 Wineberry Red Std w/ Full Vetter Gear
To those who subscribe to the "loud bikes save lives" hypothesis, I say this. Deaf people drive too.
No one has ever avoided an accident by being heard when they're still a quarter mile off. By virtue of the very distance involved. Being seen is far more effective at avoiding accidents. As far as I know, there are no legally blind licensed drivers out there. If you are truly concerned with advanced recognition, and not just being obnoxious, put some more lights, reflectors, and chrome on that machine.
Just my opinion, of course...

Registered
2013 F6B
I meet plenty (more than half) of Harley riders won't wave to me when I'm on the Goldwing. Sport bike riders also seem reluctant to wave at Goldwings...
I've noticed that this seems to be a regional thing. When I lived in Florida, Harley riders never waved and took every opportunity to belittle my Yamaha Road Star. Here in Georgia it seems like everybody waves, no matter what they or I am riding.

I ride regularly with a group that includes Hondas, Harleys, BMWs, Triumphs, Yamahas, Victorys, etc. and I love seeing and talking about the different bikes.

Registered
I've noticed that this seems to be a regional thing. When I lived in Florida, Harley riders never waved and took every opportunity to belittle my Yamaha Road Star. Here in Georgia it seems like everybody waves, no matter what they or I am riding.
Most bikers, regardless of ride, wave here in Nevada. I've even had the PoPo wave at me on my Wing.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Registered
To those who subscribe to the "loud bikes save lives" hypothesis, I say this. Deaf people drive too.
No one has ever avoided an accident by being heard when they're still a quarter mile off. By virtue of the very distance involved. Being seen is far more effective at avoiding accidents. As far as I know, there are no legally blind licensed drivers out there. If you are truly concerned with advanced recognition, and not just being obnoxious, put some more lights, reflectors, and chrome on that machine.
Just my opinion, of course...
Then again, diligent awareness of one's surroundings, quick reflexes and well-developed skills, and overall driving defensively is far more effective than making a lot of noise...and it works as well for the quiet machines as it does for the noisy ones. (I say this with as little arrogance as I can muster...I've dropped my first GoldWing twice all by myself...entirely my fault, with the good fortune to walk away with nothing but torn clothes and a bit of road rash...and one tap of the car in front of me early in my riding career on my Suzuki, because I wasn't paying attention and wasn't yet good at panic stops...I'm determined to have those excellent skills, which is why I'm doing daily exercises, slow U-turns and figure 8's, among other skills, almost every day I ride.)

Super Moderator
my neighbor right across the street from me rides a harley, i jokingly "told him and another friend that lives down the block that i was going to be like them and get a harley. the guy across the street said " no you're not, you ride too much to have a harley !! ": i bought my bikes to make me happy, couldn't care less if someone else don't like them and it doesn't bother me if you don't want to wave to me, i'm out to enjoy a ride on my bike

Premium Member
I was on a ride one day and had a couple of Harley riders approach me at a gas station. One of the guys said he used to have a Goldwing but it was like riding on a sofa so he bought a Harley. He said the big benefit was that his wife used to go on rides with him on the Goldwing but not the Harley. He said that was a benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
What's the difference between a group of Harleys and a group of Goldwings besides the noise?
The support vehicle! :ROFLMAO:
On the group of Goldwings, all the riders' and passengers' helmets match, unless one of them is cheating on his wife,...

Registered
it is the same as the Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge thing

most don't realize...... 2002 3/4 ton entire front hubs, brakes, calipers.... the whole shebang.... is the same Chevy and Dodge

most recently,,,,, Chevy and Ford have partnered to build a new transmission

but harley's to belong to the "potato, potato, potato " group of bikes
can't make a wind do that

I realize I had a typo above

1 - 20 of 54 Posts