Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current ride is a 2005 Yamaha Venture with 50,000 miles which I really love. Having just completed a 3 week trip logging 9,400 miles it is time to think about upgrading to something newer and was waiting to see what Yamaha was going to do with the Venture but all hints are they are planning nothing. I want to get into something with ABS and fuel injection which leaves me with either the Wing or the BMW Lt. The Venture is very comfortable for me allowing me to run 700 mile days without thinking. Have any of you wing owners come from the Venture or the LT that could help me determine wheather I should hold off for Yamaha or would the Wing offer equal service, comfort and performance. Any help would be very appreciated. You can email at [email protected]

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Bill, there are a few members here that came off of BMW's and I think a couple of them did have LT's (which are by the way, one of the reasons Wings are what they are today). Bimmers are great bikes, just the cost of ownership (not just entry fee) is very high on average. I'm personally back on a Wing after a couple years on an ST, and ten years on a cutomized Vulcan cruiser that I put many 700+ mile days on in it's time. It was just time again.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I am not qualified to give you the "best" answer. I have only ridden a Venture about 120 miles on a poker run, I believe it was a 85 model. It was a great ride and a heck of a lot better than my 84 700 shadow at the time. I owned a 85 1200 an that is why I now own my 1800. My father has a 05 1300 VTX and when he rode my 85 1200 he could say nothing but "wow what a awsome bike."
I have no exp with BMW. I know that everything I hear is $$$$$$. That is from people who have $.
I will stop rambling and get to my point..Find a place you can test ride or rent a wing and you will NOT be disappointed. You will see that there is nothing that will touch a Goldwing. Yes this answer stems from prejudice and bias. But when your right your right
Nothing but the best of luck with your decision. Let us all know what you decide to get and ride safe!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome Bill to the forum from Pennsylvania. Where is home for you?? I've never owned either a Venture or a BMW, but I did test drive the BMW. For me it was too tall. I'm only 5'9" and I had a hard time balancing the bike. Don't know if that would be an issue with you. For me the Wing is a great bike with low center of gravity, tons of power, great handling and lots of protection behind the tupperware. Good luck on your decision and ride safe..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The lack of available dealerships, the need for electronic "gizmo's" to work on and the frequency/cost of the service needed on BMW's cause me to scratch that one off the list fairly quick!
With some older "new" Wings still available at substantial savings, that would be my choice!
JMHO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bill, like many of the other guys, I have riden many different brands of bikes over the past 40 years, many of them Harleys. I totaled my ultra classic a little over a year ago and replaced it with an 03 GL 1800. I have since put 27k on the wing and I believe it is the best move I ever made, where bikes are concerned. I love my wing and will never go back!!! Welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Had a 2003 BMW LT..A good precise bike but expensive to maintain..Rear drive went out on me at 70,000 miles..Luckily under warranty..Loved the bike but switched to 2008 GW w/ABS last July..Have put 30,000 miles on it and loving every minute of it..Haven't looked back since buying it..

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Bill, like the others I can only tell you how much I love my wing. Have rode and owned several different bikes over the years with the later years being Harley"s, in fact, I still have my Heritage which I enjoy. But to tell you the truth the wing brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. I just rode my Harley today for over 200 miles and the whole time I wished I was on the wing, the bike gives an outstanding ride, plus I'm back to doing my own maintenance on it. If I was you I would just go out and find you one. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts