Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Goldwing interstate and needs some directions in getting the wiring diagram. i have the extra trunk light rail and saddlebag rail lights. i don't have the stock radio and running all the the extra power to the battery seems to put too much on the battery and if i don't ride regularly, i find myself buying too many batteries.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
waltergdog,
Purchase a Clymer service manual for the GL1200.
The auxiliary running lights are they on a switch?
If it's an aftermarket Marine Grade audio system it can be drawing too much power.
Have you checked the charging system output?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I remember owners going so far as to wire in another battery in the right saddlebag for all their lights and extra components. All for not if the charging system is weak, trike lady is right on the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1200 goldwing wiring

thanks for the heads up on my question. I didn't phrase the question correct. the two light rails are wired into the system , job performed by Honda dealer. I added a non stock radio/CD and J&M CB/Intercom system that I wired to the fuse box. I also added a set of fog lights that I had to uninstall because of power. I thought that some you long time riders might have run into this problem .

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Any time I add auxiliary lighting, I always put them on their own switch. On my Wing I have large driving lights, neon lights, additional side lighting and the tail lights on the Voyager. The tail lights on the Voyager are the only ones that light up when the key is turned. The two light rails are a constant draw item and could be placed on a switch for night time riding only. Have you run a charging system test? Does your Wing have three yellow wires coming out of the stator and into a plug or has it been spliced? Why I am asking this is a bad connection, corrosion/mold on the plug/socket or signs of heat/burning? Some owners have removed the plug and joined them together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1200 help

Thank,
i will check that tomorrow. I had the other lights on their own switch, my question is do you run power to the battery or to the fuse box
walt

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
On my Wing the original owner had purchased a switch box for the left hand side, the wiring harness that I can physically see is attached to the battery.
http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/handbook GL1200.htm
If you have an accessory fuse you can tap into it like a 1500 or 1800.
I have to check the schematic for that fuse.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I checked on the location of the accessory fuse on the downloaded schematics from the Goldwing site and yes there is one. Now it's only rated for 10 amps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts