Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iI'm 55, and purchased an o6 silverado, my first bike in33 years, I knew I wanted a bike , but wasn't sure if it was for the city or highway. I realize now that I want to take a lot of long highway trips, and the silverado, though not a bad all porpose bike isn't exasctly what I want for long highway hauls, (no fairing, etc)
I just assumed that the GW is the bike to buy if a person want s to do a lot of long stuff on the highway, I made an offer on 2 (an 06 and 07) GW. Anyway , I told a guy( I know he's not a jerk) who owns a harley cruiser, about the GW buisness, and he said that he'd never buy one, that he hated the way they handle in the city, and his friends don't like to ride next to them on the highway as they are all over the road. In his defense he said it may have been an older GW. He suggest I buy a Harley or yamaha cruiser, which are better on the highway. Now my mind is really racing! I can't take one out for a test drive as it's winter here, and I want to buy one in dec or jan, when the prices are down a bit, and have it stored till spring. I know this is a GW forum, and don't expect a lot of negative reviews, but can some one who owns an 06 -7 GW tell how their GW compares overall handling wise to a harley or yamaha, or any other cruiser they've owned?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Deanw: I came from a Honda ST1300 sport touring which is a wonderfull handling and zippy bike to an 09 GW. I did this for two reasons, one I am old enough to want a little extra comfort and two the surprising agility of the GW. I went on a trip from ALberta to Sturgis last summer and my neighbor who went with me had just bought a new GW before we went. He has been riding bikes for 30+ years ad could not stop talking about how good this wing was. It prompted me to test drive one this fall when we got home and that was my first mistake. It was sooooooo smooth, comfortable and the handling was superb so I bought one. Granted I only have about 1000 km on it so far but it really is the benchmark for which all touring bikes are measured.
Keep in mind that harleys do have their place and I am not one to bad mouth them but harley owners have a snooty attitude and badmouth anything that is not a Harley.
My wife has a twin cruiser and I find it is like riding a vehicle where the engine is not running quite right and is sputtering. With the Wing it is smooooooooth.

Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... I HAVE PRETTY MUCH OWNED ALL OF THE MAJOR BRANDS OF MOTORCYCLES AND MANY DIFFERENT MODELS (including 2 Harley's) ... BUT FOR ALL AROUND COMFORT AND EASE OF RIDING GOLDWINGS ARE MY CHOICE FOR ALL AROUND - EVERYTHING - ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Dean I am new to the GW community as of this past June. I have been riding off and on for 40 years and at one time was a motorcycle instructor. My first bikes were Triumphs in the early 70's and we would make fun of the new Japanese bikes with their ping, ping sound and no roar. Guess what, I had to work, or my father had to work on my bikes all the time to keep them running, and safe and reattaching things that had fallen off. My last bike before the GW was a 1000 Virago that I took coast to coast. It was a life time dream and one hell of a trip. One of the buddies with me almost bought a GW in BC but we kept tell him it was an old man's bike so he never. We could have used the comfort of the GW on that trip. Our rides were long and in all sorts of weather. With my GW I'm not sure if you even need raingear because my wife and I got caught out in heavy rain one day and never had the rain gear with us and we never even got a bit wet.

As far as handling goes, I think, but I have not driven a lot of Harley's, that they might be a little better around town because they are a little lower but you will have no problem on the GW. Harley drivers don't like riding slow either. I do not find that I am all over the road and would not be fearful of riding side by side with someone. These bikes are great in the twisties and I even got to drag (unintentionally) by pipes one day going around the Cabot Trail. I hadn't done that since the seventies.

When I was buying my bike I was looking at both the Ultra Glide and the GW. Most of my buddies are on Harley's and they love them but for me the GW was a better ride and a more reliable bike.

This getting too long. Good luck with your decision. It is a tough one. Some of the guys on here have 2 bikes - A Harley for around town and the real bike for the road.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
deanw, I'm going to offer a different opinion. I love my Wing for the times when the wife & I want to ride or if my brother & I are riding. WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT IT.

However if I just bring the bike to work or if I just want a little 100 mile ride by myself or run around town I take my Nighthawk to blast around on.

It's great to have the best of both worlds. If you only can do 1 bike you can't go wrong with a Wing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dean: A couple of comments about riding technics rather than any particular Motorcycle since the guy you refered to said wings were all over ther road.I never ride side by side anyway. I saw two bikes lock handlebars on the hwy riding side by side trying to talk,it was'nt pretty. Another time two bikes side by side in a corner, the outside bike was forced into the ditch when the inside bike drifted to the right cutting him off.I helped load the bent bike into my truck and took it and the rider home.
When riding with others I always insist we stagger and leave room for the unknown,a bird,a rock, a hole, anything that might cause a MC to have to move over quickly.
As far as handling a GW I can't speak about the newer generation bikes but my 85 LTD
handles heavy below 15 MPH and I'm prepared for that and ride accordingly in corners
and stops etc. anything above that speed its a dream to ride.The front fender is designed
to catch air and keep it tracking straight much like a gyroscope.I can pull a straight line
within a couple of inches for miles if I want,I've done it several times testing my skill and handling.
GW's wondering all over the road,I'd say it was the rider not the bike.

-Robert-

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ultimate Riding Experience

I have been a rider for thirty-five years and have been on many bikes. I have owned only Hondas because I think that if it ain’t broke don't fix it and they have always treated me well. I have been on several Harleys and in as a much as they look great I think that my VTX 1300 is a better ride than the Road King. I just purchased a 2008 GW and will never ride another bike again. Whether I am on the interstate or in the street the quality, comfort and handling ability is unsurpassed. It is a bit more difficult than most machines at very slow speeds but if you are a real rider that is not an issue. Remember that most Harley enthusiasts will NEVER admit that the Wing compared to the Road King is like a Mercedes compared to a Cavalier. Ride safe!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i don't know about the new harlys with the new frames but i'll put my '84 wing up against any stock harley. the '84 has more ground clearance, handles better, and a better ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dean, where do i start? i just bought my Wing in the last 2 months, and i owned 3 Harleys before that. The last one was an 08 Ultra Classic. When you own a Harley, you own a lifestyle. Like it or not, the Harley family is unbelievable in the way they treat each other etc. If you go on the Harley forum which is just like this one, there will be 450viewers on it at all times of the day or night. They just love their bikes! But as far as machines go, my 08 Wing will out perform, and out handle my Ultra at the drop of a hat. It is faster, has much more power, is so much smoother, and more comfortable for both the rider, & passenger. PERIOD i loved the Harley life, and my 50 or so Harley tshirts ........ but........ i really love my Goldwing! As far as the other bikes, there is really no comparison.
Buy the Wing, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dean, I’m a noob too... I just bought my 2009 GL1800 a month or so ago. I'm 46. I started riding again in 2006.... first time since early 20s. In 2006 I bought an 06 Yamaha V* 1100 Silverado. I rode that thing all over the place... put just over 80k miles on it in under 3 years. I thought I loved it and would not want to sell it if/when I got a new bike. When my Silverado started getting a little noisy and less responsive I decided it was time to get a bigger bike...I had my eye on a Yamaha Venture. But when the salesman at the Yamaha shop pissed me off, on a whim I started looking at wings... only because of their reputation (i.e. smooth riding, well balanced, low incidence of problems, etc)… I ignored their reputation as being an "old man's bike".

I bought it in central Florida and rode it home to north Florida... and I must admit I was all over the road. NOT because it was unmanageable... but because it was unbelievably maneuverable, light, nimble, "sport-bike like", invigorating... the thrill I get riding this bike cannot be overstated. There's a road between two nearby towns with a 1.1 mile long continuous, gentle curve. I took it at 110mph and felt completely in control and nowhere near "the edge of a catastrophe”.

A week after I bought the wing I was sure I would never want to ride my Silverado again. When I rode it to the fella's house that bought it I could not believe how inadequate it felt.

I cannot overstate how much pleasure I get from my wing…. that's all I got.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys; from Dean

Thanks for all the great input about the GW on the highway; I had my heart set on a gw, and when I heard the harley guy talk about how poorly they handle I got really depressed as i thought "what if he is right'' , Firstly , I 'm going to get my 06-07 gw, and secondly I think I'll egg his house next halloween (kidding) thanks again ;Dean

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The Gold Wing is the ULTIMATE TOURING MACHINE, look in any touring magazine and you will find the first choice is Honda Gold Wing. One year Honda was voted second in the touring class by motorcycle consumer news because they said it was to smooth, to quiet and to reliable to be a motorcycle. Check the price of road side service for a Harley and then check for a Gold Wing, the Wing is cheaper because they don't break down, how many HD's do you see with overt 100,000 miles, not many, on a Gold Wing that is just getting broke in. When you go a Harley rally you see lots of trailers hauling Harley's, when you go to Gold Wing you see them being rode to the rally. No comparison, if you want comfort and reliability get the Gold Wing. I have about 250,000 on Gold Wings and had only 1 failure, the brushes on my alternator of my 02 went out but I had over 70,000 miles and should have changed them before I started my trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gold Wing

I think you will realize you made a very good choice once you ride your wing. Like many of the other post, I started out with harleys ( I have been riding for almost 50 years) When I retired and started doing serious cross-country rides, I wanted something that would get me there and back. I loved the two harleys that I have owned. First a 1200 sportster then a full dresser (1993) Well my first dependable bike was a Kawasaki Nomad 1500. I enjoyed that bike, put 84,000 miles on it in five years, then replaced it with a 2005 Gold Wing. I just traded the 2005 in on my 2010 wing. I will never own another kind of bike. I teach a couple of college classes two days a week and ride it to work and it handles as well in traffic as it does on the highway. Good luck with you wing you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have no experience with the newer goldwings but i've owned over 70 motorcycles and as far as the large cruisers go, the goldwing has always seemed the most comfortable to me, and the gl1500 and newer seems to be very smooth. the 1200's and older don't seem as smooth to me.

around town i don't care for riding the goldwing quite as much due to the fact that, personally i don't find it comfortable to drive in heavy stop/go traffic. i find my harley to be much easier to ride when it comes to heavy traffic, and my shadow 1100. but if you're out on the open road, the goldwing is great. the venture royale isn't bad either but i find the goldwing to look nicer and it seemed like a smoother ride to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
As you can see most folks who own a Wing, love the Wing. For long distance riding I can't think of a better bike to own. Many 650+ mile days in the saddle without a problem. Go for the best IMO.... Ride safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Dean, I am 71 years of age and have been riding for about 58 years give or take.
I was the adamant H-D rider. In 1983 I bought my first Honda. The V45 Magna and CB250 for my wife. GREAT bikes. Since then I have owned one Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 1988 yr.
At the same time I owned an 1985 GW Limited Edition. Then I bought an 1990 GW se which I still have and LOVE. It has been all over the east coast including several trips to Canada and seven trips to Florida (before I moved here) from Virginia. I now have an 2008 GW which I purchased in August (new) of 2009. At this point in time it only has approximately 2500 miles just yet. Now, for the kicker: I own an H-D 883cc and a H-D 1200cc Sportster.
with some modifications for fun.
I have owned many H-Ds of all sizes including a number of full dressers in years past. All purchased new.
This summer I road tested several H-D full dressers (Ultra Classic, Road King and a Heritage Softail. All 2009s. Very nice bikes and I have no complaints about them as far as what they are intended to do. They just do not measure up to the KING of the road Gold Wing. However, after all that testing I could not bring myself to buy the H-D.
The GoldWing in my mind is the very BEST road and all around motorcycle.
The ride, handling, balance, smoothness, quietness and outstanding MPG is but a small part of the GREATNESS. My GW MPG ranges from 43MPG to 48MPG so far.
My attitude is Ride what you like but ride. I just believe the GoldWing for my money is the BEST motorcycle I can buy.
Ride safe and best of luck with what ever bike you choose to buy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dean, I had the same questions. So I rented several harleys and Wings. Also bought a Honda VTX cruiser (harley clone) and finally bought a wing. The wing is the best on the hiway, bar none. The Harleys were great for image and general riding, but on the hiway, the wing is king. no doubt.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own a 2004 Roadking and just brought a 2006 Wing, the HD could have a slight edge in town ( it's lighter and the wheel base is probably shorter). But once you get 200-400 miles on the wing you will love it. I love my wing, way more confort and power great everwhere, I even took it 2up on Phantom Canyon Road which is a one lane dirt road over 20 miles long. I can never understand how people make such stupid statements. If the guy had ridden the GW and didn't like it that's one thing. But to say that when he's never been on one is pretty foolish. The bottom line is even if he did ride a wing a wouldn't buy it you still might like it. When I brought my HD I test drove the VTX 1800. When your spending that much money you might want to rent one for the day, their not that expensive and you can put 200- 300 miles on it and then you will know for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Dean.I too am new to the GW,bought an 01 1800 5 weeks ago.For the simple reason,that this past summer me and the little missis started touring.From home in Eastern Canada to Mertle Beach SC. in May.From home to Ont.Canada.From home to Northern Quebec.For a grand total of 30,000 kms/20,000 mls.That is alot of miles on a Suzuki 1500(2006).Started planning our vacations for next year,first Nashville in May.I myself was very comfortable on the Suzuki,but the missis(ya know)tired.She stated that we should get a big touring bike.YaHooooo!The green light to get the Harley of my dreams.So we went to the local Harley/Honda dealer,we sat on every Harley in the showroom,took an Electra Glide for a test run.Let me first say that the Suzuki has alot of passenger space.On the Harley we felt cramped.On the way out of the dealership there was a GW.We sat on it and rest is history.I had driven my friends 95 1500 GW before and was a little nervous about the handleing of this big beast of a bike,but to keep the missis happy i would adjust.Let me say that the new style 1800 GW is not your grandfathers motorcycle.I found myself planning day trips of up to 400 miles.This bike will blow you and the competition away,around town or on the open road.....Thats my 2 cents worth.:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Dean, I am 71 years of age and have been riding for about 58 years give or take.
I was the adamant H-D rider. In 1983 I bought my first Honda. The V45 Magna and CB250 for my wife. GREAT bikes. Since then I have owned one Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 1988 yr.
At the same time I owned an 1985 GW Limited Edition. Then I bought an 1990 GW se which I still have and LOVE. It has been all over the east coast including several trips to Canada and seven trips to Florida (before I moved here) from Virginia. I now have an 2008 GW which I purchased in August (new) of 2009. At this point in time it only has approximately 2500 miles just yet. Now, for the kicker: I own an H-D 883cc and a H-D 1200cc Sportster.
with some modifications for fun.
I have owned many H-Ds of all sizes including a number of full dressers in years past. All purchased new.
This summer I road tested several H-D full dressers (Ultra Classic, Road King and a Heritage Softail. All 2009s. Very nice bikes and I have no complaints about them as far as what they are intended to do. They just do not measure up to the KING of the road Gold Wing. However, after all that testing I could not bring myself to buy the H-D.
The GoldWing in my mind is the very BEST road and all around motorcycle.
The ride, handling, balance, smoothness, quietness and outstanding MPG is but a small part of the GREATNESS. My GW MPG ranges from 43MPG to 48MPG so far.
My attitude is Ride what you like but ride. I just believe the GoldWing for my money is the BEST motorcycle I can buy.
Ride safe and best of luck with what ever bike you choose to buy.
71 years young and still riding. You are my new hero. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts