Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd wanted a Gold Wing for about as long as they've been manufactured even though I'd never ridden one. Well, I retired a couple of months ago and decided "Now's the Time!" So, checkbook in-hand, I started looking at used Wings in my area (South Carolina). A few days later, I found what I thought would be the perfect bike. I contacted the owner and made arrangements to test ride it w/ my wife. I stand 6'2" and weigh 230. After about 30 minutes on the bike my legs started to cramp up. The pegs are too far back and my legs are bent tight underneath me -- sort of like the guys who ride the crotch rockets. Really uncomfortable. Since then I've tried a second Wing: same problem. I'd still love to own one of these bikes but the leg position is a deal killer. Does anyone know a way to either move the pegs forward or the seat backward? Sure would appreciate any ideas you have. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is a kit offered to move the pegs forward 2 inches and one inch down and cost around $600 but I can't recall who it is. Someone here might know who. There is also highway pegs along with custom seats that give you more leg room.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
As Chopin may be inferring; the 1800 is a bit more cramped than perhaps a 1500 for tall riders. Some like the new Victory Vision too for more leg room.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
hello LCR, welcome to GWOF. you don't mention what wing you test rode only that its used. the 1500 has the most leg room and the 1000 the least. i feel cramped after awhile on my 1200 wing, the seat is too low and the pegs are too far rearward. my gel pad raises me up enough to get the bend out of my knees but the pegs are still to far rearward

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
LowCountry, the kit that trourke is talking about is from Roadsmith/Trikeshop. They are a manufacture of trike kits but this peg relocating kit is for trike or bike. The potential problem for aggressive riders is dragging the lowered pegs. Other than that this may solve your problem.
trourke also mentioned a custom seat. Several seat manufactures will make a seat tailored to your height and weight. You can have the rider's area moved farther back, taking some of the bend out of your knee, but also taking some space away from your passenger, whose height and weight should also be considered. If you're not likely to have a regular passenger, not an issue. With some of these seat makers, you send them your seat and they recover it and put in a different type of padding. Cheaper but not as much adjustability. Others, you outright buy a seat for $900-$1200. On ebay you can often buy one for 30% to 50% off but be careful of the dimensions. You could buy one made for a rider several inches shorter than you. Oooops.
But this is one of the great things about the Goldwing. There are so many of them, that they have spawned a huge aftermarket and many creative ways to set it up your way and eliminate many of what you feel are flaws such as seating position.
We all hope you can find yours and enjoy for many years. Good luck, R

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
A set of driver floor board might help. On the 1500 it really help me. Also check out Wing Soft a seat modification. Some are helped with a pad to raise you up a bit.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
You may want to test ride a GL1500, you may not feel cramped on that bike.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Looks like you have been looking for a Wing since September. Hope you finally find one that fits your frame...

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
You may want to test ride a GL1500, you may not feel cramped on that bike.
+1

That's where I'm headed. And, on my GL1200 I use road plates to get leg room on the open road. Since I'm on low traffic open roads about 50% of the time I ride, it's fine. The road pegs/plates are also to move my legs away from engine heat in summer.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I've had a couple customers in the 6'5" category, and they both went with driver and highway boards and pegs to give them some stretch.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If you can find a bike with a set of Mik-o-pegs on it to sit on, you might find they help immensely. I'm not nearly as tall as you, but at 5'11" I sure do like'm. Good luck.

Kerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.