Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the Gold Wing Road Riders Association - GWRRA, today. I signed up for their Roadside Assistance as well.

I am looking forward to meeting some Gold Wing riders in my state. I realize that many of them are not active on any forum.

Let's hear the good and bad of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Never joined the local group here in Manassas, but I got word that they weren't always one big happy group. I " joined " a local chapter of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club. No dues, no commitments, no specific brand bike, just..... " Hey ! I have a ride planned to " X ". Anybody care to tag along ? " This fits my life at the moment as they are mainly weekend day rides. Of course, I am also a member of the unofficial " Ride to PA " club. P.S. Shouldn't you be in Phoenix ?

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I belong to GWRRA and to me it's worth the investment in membership, I get the 'Gold Book' of members which is good to have in case you travel, the roadside assistance and Wing World. I've been a member since 2005.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never joined the local group here in Manassas, but I got word that they weren't always one big happy group. I " joined " a local chapter of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club. No dues, no commitments, no specific brand bike, just..... " Hey ! I have a ride planned to " X ". Anybody care to tag along ? " This fits my life at the moment as they are mainly weekend day rides. Of course, I am also a member of the unofficial " Ride to PA " club. P.S. Shouldn't you be in Phoenix ?
I need to wait to go to Phoenix now until after the 7th or 8th of March. I have rental properties to collect rents from and I am usually done with that by the 7th or the 8th.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
We belong to the local GWRRA group. Being new to the area we met a lot of nice people and my wife rides with me more often if it is a group event that interests her. The Gold Book can be helpful but I hope that I never have to use it. We were on a group ride to Alabama to capture a regional plaque and one of our members had a tire go bad. Of course it was Saturday afternoon and all the bike shops were closed. The local chapter helped us find a tire for him (one of their members had one spare) and a member had a shop where we found the tools to change out the tire.

Ours is a fairly large group (30 to 40 active) and when you get that many people together some clash a little. My tendency is to ignore that stuff and enjoy the group rides.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Just been a member of the Chapter L club since Sept. but they are a great group of folks. Haven't had any bickering at the meetings or rides. All the gals hug everyone in greetings and a real congenial group. We have prayer before the rides and at beginning of meeting, which being a retired minister, I appreciate.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
All groups contain the good, the bad and the ugly, some are good and ugly!
It is what you want to make of it. Join in the fun and enjoy. Participate in the bad and be miserable. It's all up to you!

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I've been a member for years but do not belong to any chapter. Closest one is about 25 miles away. They mostly meet on Sunday for rides and that is just not an option for me with my responsibilities at church. I like the Goldbook and the Wing World magazine. Planning to go to the Wing Ding in Knoxville, TN this summer.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Just been a member of the Chapter L club since Sept.
I'll see you at your chapter fun day in May. MS-F will be heading down there for the event.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Inspired

I joined the Gold Wing Road Riders Association - GWRRA, today. I signed up for their Roadside Assistance as well.

I am looking forward to meeting some Gold Wing riders in my state. I realize that many of them are not active on any forum.

Let's hear the good and bad of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association.
If it good enough for Larry then its good enough for me......Iam going for it too......
Thanks Larry

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it good enough for Larry then its good enough for me......Iam going for it too......
Thanks Larry
I liked their road side assistance program for $25 per year. Any motorcycle or vehicle I am in or associated with (exception would be a commercial vehicle.)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not my cup of tea by any means!!! I tried it and found out quickly that I didn't care for all the whinning and petty clicks. :(

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
We've been members for 17 years, like many organization it has it's ups and downs our chapter here in Whatcom county has been around for almost 30 years. The Seattle area has a couple active chapters, When you get your Gold Book get in contact with a member or two close to where you live, keep calling till you connect with somebody that is involved with a chapter. You can get involved as you want.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've been members for 17 years, like many organization it has it's ups and downs our chapter here in Whatcom county has been around for almost 30 years. The Seattle area has a couple active chapters, When you get your Gold Book get in contact with a member or two close to where you live, keep calling till you connect with somebody that is involved with a chapter. You can get involved as you want.
Ron
Ron,

Thanks for your input. When your group puts on a group thing, I will be sure to ride up and partake. It will be nice to meet you.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Ron,

Thanks for your input. When your group puts on a group thing, I will be sure to ride up and partake. It will be nice to meet you.
Looks like the weather might be starting to turn. Once it does maybe we could meet in Smokey Point or some place for lunch. Can you get away during the week at all.
Ron

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've rejoined since I bought the '09, but was a member (quite active) of the Edmonton B chapter from '84 thru '95. I bounce between functions in Edmonton and Barrhead and Innisfail these days. All are at least an hours ride (Barrhead) and as much as 3 hours (Innisfail) away so I get some road time in when I participate in the club activities. There are always some cliques in groups, it's just a matter of how defined they get and how 'exclusive' they are as to whether it affects the harmony of the group as a whole. I have heard of on chapter that is actually colour oriented so that if you don't ride the "preferred" hue you aren't really welcome. Now that's really being petty. I've never mentioned it to the group directors at head office since it's hear-say, but I will say something if I ever hear that it's true. My GWRRA experiences have all been positive and very worth while belonging.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like the weather might be starting to turn. Once it does maybe we could meet in Smokey Point or some place for lunch. Can you get away during the week at all.
Ron
Yes, I am in control of my schedule. Lunch would be a good thing. I could meet further north than that, kinda split the difference in mileage and time.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Yes, I am in control of my schedule. Lunch would be a good thing. I could meet further north than that, kinda split the difference in mileage and time.
Let's see how the weather is in a week or so.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have been members since 1990 and have held many officer positions and were Chapter Couple Of The Year.
Always did all the rallies, etc.
The last few years , we have gotten away from it and now travel and do things with a few other couples.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts