Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long, years/miles should a battery last?? Does using the reverse adversly affect battery life?

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
There is a lot that goes into the expected life of a MC battery. Things like lights that you have added or electronic stuff you have running that can cause a drain. Does the bike sit all winter or is is run all year long? Does it go for long runs or mostly short runs? Do you use a battery tender when the bike sits for more than 3 or 4 days? What kind of battery. regular or Gel?

Now, all that said, I have had batteries last 2 - 3 years and some that have lasted 5 -6 years. The last battery I had in my GL1500 was 6 years old. It was a gel battery that never came out of the bike and was on a battery tender whenever the bike was not in use. I don't think the use of reverse will cause the battery to prematurely fail, unless you try backing up for a couple of miles...

I'm sure you will hear from others on the forum with a more information.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would replace it between 3 and 4 years just to be on the safe side, especially if your planning on going on a trip.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I sold my '84 Interstate in '91 and it still had the original battery in it. I lost three stators in that time, but somehow the battery survived. I had an ammeter on the bike so maybe that helped me catch the current drain quick enough to save the battery. My 1500 was only four years old when I sold it, and it was on it's second battery. I used to take the batteries out of my bikes back then for winter storage, but I don't know that it made that much difference, as the 1500 one that gorked was only two years old. I don't think batteries are that much better these days than back in the 70's or 80's as I hear from lots of riders that only get a couple years life out of them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm with Two Wheel Wing,gel battery and a maintainer should give the longest life.As to reverse,won't affect battery life,but keep in mind,reverse is your starter. I do my best not to get into situations where i would need to use it,but there are times when it can't be helped ,of course.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
i put a new battery in my 1200 wing in the spring of '08 so in mid- summer of '09 when the starter was spinning slow i thought i had a starter issue. i got a good deal on a odssey pc 680 battery for $108 and free shipping, it sat in the box for another three weeks while i made some room at my friends shop so i would have a place indoors to replace the starter. the day i was going to take the bike to the shop i decided to put the pc680 in. that took care of the starter issues

·
Registered
212 Posts
i put a new battery in my 1200 wing in the spring of '08 so in mid- summer of '09 when the starter was spinning slow i thought i had a starter issue. i got a good deal on a odssey pc 680 battery for $108 and free shipping, it sat in the box for another three weeks while i made some room at my friends shop so i would have a place indoors to replace the starter. the day i was going to take the bike to the shop i decided to put the pc680 in. that took care of the starter issues
Batteries up here in the cold last longer then the heat is a known fact.
The other thing that kills batteries is vibration, and of coarse the best thing to do is keep a tender on one at all times.

WA9FWT Phil

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
the battery in the wing that went bad hd been on the charger, always kept full of water. it was just a bad battery. it was less than a year old and i planned to give it to my niece for her 1200 ltd ( looks like ronzilla's wing ) so she could have a good battery never thinking i needed a battery in less than a year

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info, thanks guys....

·
Registered
25 Posts
01 wing with 68,000 miles on it, didn't know you had to replace the battery, hummmmm, one day

·
Registered
449 Posts
When I take my NEW 08 Wing in for it's 6,000 mile service I'm going to have them check my battery. It won't set 3 -4 days and start without a jump. Didn't start this till middle January which would make it roughly 6 months old.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When I take my NEW 08 Wing in for it's 6,000 mile service I'm going to have them check my battery. It won't set 3 -4 days and start without a jump. Didn't start this till middle January which would make it roughly 6 months old.
Batterys in the heat won't last as long as the one's up here in the cold.But one thing you want to do too get life out of a battery is to keep the charge up at all times.Other words when you get done riding, hook it up too a battery tender.Most of them are around one amp and will help make that battery last. Cost also is cheap, and will at least give you the peace of mind when you turn that key and push the starter it will turn that engine over .

WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
449 Posts
Batterys in the heat won't last as long as the one's up here in the cold.But one thing you want to do too get life out of a battery is to keep the charge up at all times.Other words when you get done riding, hook it up too a battery tender.Most of them are around one amp and will help make that battery last. Cost also is cheap, and will at least give you the peace of mind when you turn that key and push the starter it will turn that engine over .

WA9FWT Phil
I think It's more a case of Bad Battery this time. The 4-wheeler, 1200 kawi,etc. all still work fine year after year. And all set longer then 3 or 4 days between starts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think It's more a case of Bad Battery this time. The 4-wheeler, 1200 kawi,etc. all still work fine year after year. And all set longer then 3 or 4 days between starts.
Have you checked the fluid level on the bike battery. And before you take it in you should at least put a charger on it for 24 hours.
That way they can check and put a load on it.Of coarse it can be checked with out. Also the ATV you have may have better amperage out put ,then the bike.The older GW
were way short on out put compared to the newer one's.Of coarse it also was efected by how the bike was ridden, and how many toys were drawing amps. check your manual and see how it compares too the 4 wheeler, the amperage out put.
WA9FWt Phil

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Jeeze marcsvette, my 08 has been covered outside this whole winter and every time I get a chance to fire it up, she does so without hesitation. Bad battery or an unknown draining load. Keep us up to date, we have the same bike. P.S. Where you been Phil ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 04 still has the origimal battery, knock on wood. I have never even checked the water in it. Please stop when you see me on the side of the road, and help me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use to have put a new battery in my gl1000 every year. It was rough on batterys because of the substandard charging system. I put new batteries in my other bikes every two years. I don't want to get up into BFE and the battery go south. Batteries seem to get real expensive when you have to have one vs just doing a replacement. I had to put a battery in the wifes BMW R1200 out in the middle of Nevada. It was only a year old at the time. Not only did it take 3 hours to change it (and 100 dollars worth of tools) the battery out there in BFE took two days to get and cost 175 dollars.My GL1000 had a Kich starter but in all the years I had it I was only able to start in twice with that stupid thing.

·
Registered
172 Posts

WA9FWT Phil
I have a Battery tender hookup on mine. I plug it in if I plan the bike to sit more than a few days

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jeeze marcsvette, my 08 has been covered outside this whole winter and every time I get a chance to fire it up, she does so without hesitation. Bad battery or an unknown draining load. Keep us up to date, we have the same bike. P.S. Where you been Phil ?
Been in sick bay= But feeling better now!!

Now thats the way I would expect a bike to start, my old Honda 750K is that way. It can sit for weeks, hit the starter or jump on it and it starts.But not the old GW 1982 A, It needs the battery after three days plugged in.Battery is only two seasons old too. but I guess we all know all batteries are not the same.

WA9FWT Phil

1 - 20 of 30 Posts