Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
85 aspy, decided on poorboy because well, I'm poor. Anyway, happen to have the ND alternator In my yard. Going to get alternator mounted today, then I guess I'll address the crank pulley issue, radiator mods, etc afterward. I intend to do this with only the cost of the belt. Everything else I will salvage. If and when the alternator fails, it's a simple r&r. I'm rather infamous for my ingenuity with regards to doing crazy things with zero dollars. Usually I'm just screwing around with some kinda prototype, or just getting something to limp home after engine fire or some other issue that would leave most people stranded. But with my bike, I gotta pay a little extra attention to detail cause I expect it to be solid and look

·
Registered
193 Posts
Keep us posted. I have a friend who got a 1985 Aspy for nothing, but it has a bad stator. We are looking at doing a self-procured poor boy setup on his bike in the spring. I have access to a small machine shop and can make whatever we need for a crank pulley. Brackets aren't a problem either, but I am always willing to take the advice of others who have been there before me.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brackets were nothing, I'll try to get some pics. Hardest part is taking radiator and ferrings off to get heat shield out to cut it. But while it was out, and I could see what the rest of project will involve, it's really nothing. Space out radiator, simple, the only part I see that will take any real intelligence or competence is the crank pulley. That part needs to be right. But with access to a lathe, it's just a matter of doing the work. Im satisfied with my choice to modify.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Truth be told the small machine shop is in my garage, but it is not insulated or heated, so winter shop work is out of the question, but I do hope to insulate and put in heat in the next year or two. Being able to machine parts during the winter would give me the time to be able to machine pulleys for others, but that is a fair way off right now. I doubt that I would make them and keep them in stock, but I may be open to making them to order. I need to figure out the pulley dimensions first however, as at this time I have no idea what I need for material or anything yet. I will know a lot more come spring.

Reactions: Afghanpilot

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did some research and found a commercially available pulley that was recommended for the crank. It is a 3-rib microgroove pulley with a bore diameter of 0.670" or 17.08mm. Come spring I will probably order one and try it on the project bike in question, but it may be a trial-and-error sort of thing, or at worst it may be the sort of thing where we start with it and modify it slightly to work. The pulley comes with a mounting bushing to also fit on a 15mm shaft.

The items I found that are thought to work are all available from KRC Power Steering and are as follows in the list below.

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE NOT TRIED ANY OF THESE PARTS AS YET BUT FOUND THEM LISTED ON OTHER WEBSITES. I DO NOT KNOW FOR CERTAIN ABOUT THEIR SUITABILITY BUT WILL POST MORE NEXT SPRING AS I GET INTO MY PROJECT AND LEARN MORE.
If someone else wishes to try them out before I have the opportunity or can share more information, it would be very helpful. It would be very nice to be able to put together a thread that contains all of the part numbers for parts that can be purchased and drawings for the parts that need to be made plus a wiring diagram along with a set of instructions to follow to complete the project, eliminating the need for individuals to hunt down the answers they need individually over and over again. Granted, this is information that may not be needed frequently enough for anyone to offer a commercially available kit, but having it available for the DIY guys would be an advantage.

Alternator, either of the following (or there are others available) I believe these are both self-exciting and have internal regulators:
A. Denso 12V 85A Heavy Duty Alternator, KRC part no. POW8182 $340.18 Part # POW 8182 - Alternators - Alternators and Accessories
B. Denso 12V 50A Sportsman Alternator, KRC part no. POW8172 $236.47 Part # POW 8172 - Alternators - Alternators and Accessories

Alternator Pulley: 1.75" Denso Alternator Pulley, KRC part no. KRC 40130340 $31.99 Part # KRC 40130340 - Alternator Pulleys - Alternators and Accessories

Crank Pulley: 2.5" Denso or Delco Alternator Pulley, KRC part no. KRC 40140300 $43.99 Part # KRC 40140300 - Alternator Pulleys - Alternators and Accessories

A one wire alternator system only needs the connection to the battery but may require the engine to be revved up slightly before the alternator begins to produce current. One way around this is to use a two-wire setup instead where the lead from the battery connects to the battery lead on the alternator and there is a second wire from the ignition switch that supplies current to the regulator and tells the alternator to start charging. Which one will work best on the Goldwing I do not know, but myself I would try to go with the two-wire setup.

That is all I have for now folks. If anyone has anything to share, please do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts