Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, me again!

I'm going to go have a look at that 91 SE Anniversary Edition next weekend if it hasn't sold by then. After looking at prices all across the country it seems reasonably priced for the km's and condition (what I can tell from pics anyway!)

My big question would be this, since there's 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground I'm guessing a test ride is out of the question. Is there any way to tell if this bike has the bad 4th gear without a test ride? Was the 4th gear thing pretty common or more isolated? Also, would you buy a bike like this without a test ride? I've boughten quite a few bikes before without a test ride, but nothing on the scale of a wing :).

Thanks for the help guys, if this wing looks as good or better in person than it does in it's pics it might be the one that sings to me! ;)

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I'd probably buy it without a test ride. I've purchased three Wings on eBay without even hearing them run! You should be able to tell by the seller if it has any problems. I haven't heard much about the fourth gear problem.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
See if the owner has any maintenance records. Look at the color of the clutch and brake fluids in the site glass's on the reservoir. If the it dark it is time to change/flush the systems also ask about the timing belts. a 91 should have had them changed at least once. If not it's something you'll want to do soon if you buy it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike is from a dealer and I guess they'll be running it through the shop for a check and full service but I don't know if they have any way of checking the trans to make sure everything is ok. No warranty of any sorts and they have no service records for it. About the only info that they gave me was that it looks like it was exceptionally well cared for and that it was traded off by an elderly couple on a Goldwing trike I believe. The dealership is actually a trike shop that takes in bikes on trade and sell's them. Here's a link to the ad. I know it's kind of pricey by US standards but it seems pretty well in line for Canada. Lol, it's a gold Goldwing! :D
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...500-SE-Anniversary-Edition-W0QQAdIdZ455192236

Not sure if it's had the timing belt done yet or not. The bike has 106,000 km's on it (about 66,000 miles). Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate you all helping out a wing noob like myself :)

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
A little pricey by U.S. priceing, but from the pictures it is a nice looking wing. Should have lots of miles left in it.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Where's the snow?

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
The mileage is good. The condition looks good. If it is as good as it looks, have a go. Try him at something like $6400. They usually have a bit of fat in their price. Best of luck with getting your wing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little pricey by U.S. priceing, but from the pictures it is a nice looking wing. Should have lots of miles left in it.
Yup, I was checking out some US wings. Quite a large difference in pricing! On Kijiji here there are 1100 and 1200's still selling for 4K plus :eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Looks like way too nice of weather for even late fall!
Of course it might mean better leverage for you, if they have had it that long!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Yup, I was checking out some US wings. Quite a large difference in pricing! On Kijiji here there are 1100 and 1200's still selling for 4K plus :eek:
They may be asking that, but I bet they aren't selling for that. I have a 1984 1200 that I can't even sell for $2,500!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
$7600 is max (clean) Bluebook resale value. Not sure how Kelly BB works in the US, but Cdn Bluebook is compiled out of actual dealer reported selling pricesand condition. I report our info every quarter. Average condition (and that SE 'looks' better than avg) is $6450. might give you some baraining power at the moment, but once the snow goes al bets are off.
If you can't find the snow in the bike photos, it's 'cause it's all in my yard!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Take Budoka and his razor sharp katana with you to the negotiation; they'll pay YOU to take the bike and spare their lives!:eek::D

Cantankerous Kerry: Clearly, we need to sell our Classic Wings to Canadians! The Canadian dollar closed today at .9946 US dollar, so essentially equal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol, my yard looks the same as yours! Well, except I'm in town and you look like you might be on an acreage... Definitely no shortage of snow this year! :)

I think I'll still go look at the 91 but I'm starting to think maybe I should save my pennies longer and try to get an early 1800 now... I'm flip flopping! I'm not getting a "friendly" vibe from the salesman that has the 91 so I'm not sure how receptive he would be to dealing. That's the bad thing with email though, it's easy to get the wrong impression!

Lol, I'll get one! Someday... :confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was going to go look at the 91 last Saturday and it was snowing in the morning so I put it off. Planned on going yesterday and they had freezing rain warnings for the area where the bike is located. Lol, I'm thinking the bike gods are saying that this is not the one for me! So, as I said in my last post, I think I'll just keep looking. A forum buddy from another website is really suggesting that I go for an 1800 if I can at all afford it (he has a 2007 1800). So, still shopping I guess... :SadSigh:

Seems in these parts there's a real glut of 1100's and 1200's (way overpriced!) and very few 1500's. There are getting to be more 18's but the prices are up there! My friend was suggesting that I go to the States and get a 1800 there and bring it back, but after reading up on all the rigmarole to do that, I think I would rather just pay the couple of grand more to get one here.

It's still winter though and maybe more will come up as spring get's closer. I'll keep my eyes peeled! :D

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Soooo, just curious - did you get to see that bike? I've seen one or two others advertised in the last few weeks - I guess folks are coming to life again after the winter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I live in caronport sk.got a 1995 aspencade for 5499 .us 40 k my son and I are going down injune to pick it up in big. Bend wi. I will b riding it home

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Soooo, just curious - did you get to see that bike? I've seen one or two others advertised in the last few weeks - I guess folks are coming to life again after the winter.
No, I never did get to see that particular one. I'm thinking it finally sold as well since it's not listed anymore. Looked like a decent bike but I got cold feet on it... :)

I've seen a few ads for some really nice wings since then, but I've decided to try a few two up trips with my son on the KLR first to see if he actually likes touring on a motorcycle. I'd hate to invest in a big touring bike only to find out he doesn't like touring :icon_smile:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.